Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

02 gsxr1000 drag questions

9K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  dnyce 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and have a few questions on mod's. I picked up a super clean 02 1000 from a friend a couple weeks ago and started a drag project. I dropped the front sprocket 1 tooth and went up 2 on the rear. I also lowered and strapped the bike and stretched it 7" over and installed a K&n filter. The bike already had a power commander in it. I went to LVD last weekend and ran a 10.43 (1.80 60 ft) at 135mph on a street tire at 20 psi. What are some good quick mods that work as I will be heading back this coming weekend. I know the more I get used to launching the bike the numbers should drop more. Thanks

#2 ·
Honestly,only thing I would work on at this point is your 60'..at 62" you should be able to get below 1.5 60' no problem IF the tire hooks. You could possibly go up to a 44 or 45t rear but...I would just get used to the bike first,try to get the most out of what you have before making any changes to go faster or add more power.

#7 ·
1**for your weight, i think you might need a little more gearing to get your 60fts down, but you can try #5 first.

2**tire choice, i'd go with a 190 shinko u-soft @ 20psi or so. it's cheap, it's heavy, but it works.

3**as far as the mapping, was it custom mapped on a dyno or was the map simply downloaded? if downloaded, you may want to get the bike custom mapped. a lot of times those downloaded maps run on the richer side.

4**plugs will probably be fine, but if you aren't using NGK cr9eix iridiums, you may want to give them a try.

5**other tips: save as much weight as possible and make sure you only run enough gas to keep the fuel pump sufficiently covered. 1.1 gallons or a little less is what i usually run. as long as the gas light is flashing you're good to go! i found that the difference between running 1.1 gallons vs 3 gallons of fuel was about 1-tenth off my 60ft.

be sure to stage at least around 6500rpm. some heavier guys tend to stage higher, lighter guys probably stage lower.

#8 ·
With your body weight and the length of the bike 15/44 or 15/45 would be a good starting point on the gear, Set the suspension for your weight, with the length of your bike and your body weight unless the track sucks you should be able to run more than 20lbs of air.

#9 · (Edited)
This winter I am going to put a shinko on it and a cycle tek air shifter w/auto shift. The bike is 7" over now with a 16 (-1) tooth front and a 44 (+2) rear. When I pull the valve out of the exhaust do you guys know what wire to jump when I disconnect the selonoid that controls it. Map is downloaded from PowComm

#11 ·
look in the Tech forums on this site
Bugmans Projects 02 GSXR 1000 got it in there.
off the top of my head i think its the small black rectangle one with 2 wires that needs bridging. otherwise the red oil warning led on the rev counter stays on
the white triangle shapped one (3 cables) just tape over to stop crap gettin in..... but please check

#17 ·
Yes a little at the 16-44 combo I have now not bad though. Still trying to learn the bike and at 200 lbs I think a little more gear will help the 60's and E.T. 17-42 was stock. I am going to do the clutch cushion this winter. Not sure to run the 15-44 or go to a 15-45 or a 16-46 etc etc lol

#19 ·
I love you bikes save as much weight as possible and make sure you only run enough gas to keep the fuel pump sufficiently covered. 1.1 gallons or a little less is what i usually run. as long as the gas light is flashing you're good to go! i found that the difference between running 1.1 gallons vs 3 gallons of fuel was about 1-tenth off my 60ft
CCTV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.