Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3 - Page 239 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #4761 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Deceptively fast Bob...
 
It's_Just_Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Motorcycle: k8 1000 street, 06 600 track
Posts: 19,453
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
You better believe it! My favorite course by far!
What kind of times do you run there?
It's_Just_Bob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4762 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Serial Comma Rapist Admin
 
Moto_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Macon Ga
Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Posts: 117,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj01_6 View Post
Actually, the races I won, I bought a new rear and a take off front that someone had laying in a pile that was muddy.

I have raced on takeoffs, and done really well.

Actually, this front ntec I bought from the muddy pile... I might do my first race weekend on it next year. That's how much confidence I had with it. I might buy a new front ntec next year per 3-4 rear gpas
All of the fronts are good like that these days. I change mine more for peace of mind than that I need it. The fronts all last forever these days. Well bstone I don't know. But the dunlop Michelin and pirelli do.
Moto_Joe is offline  
post #4763 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Serial Comma Rapist Admin
 
Moto_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Macon Ga
Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Posts: 117,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj01_6 View Post
Thatguy, do you run vir north?
.
I have only been there once. Went :34s. I can't wait to go back. I bet I have :32s if not :31s in me now based on barber and road Atlanta

. I need yo get back there
Moto_Joe is offline  
post #4764 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM
AKA 1/4milecrazy
 
Pee Wee Herman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Summit NJ
Motorcycle: Street:2009CBR600RR Track:2007GSXR600
Posts: 5,871
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
.
I have only been there once. Went :34s. I can't wait to go back. I bet I have :32s if not :31s in me now based on barber and road Atlanta

. I need yo get back there
Plan for it next year.

I want to go back next year for sure. Especially if I dont get down to Jennings or Roebling like I originally planned for this winter.
Pee Wee Herman is offline  
post #4765 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
!ThatGuy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,974
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj01_6 View Post
What kind of times do you run there?
..........I have only been there once........for my first ever track day.......did good though! haha. The coach, I think his name was Bob, said I was running a mid pack Red group pace, but I needed to clean some things up before he gave me a bump from white to red. I was riding a sv650. My other two track days have been at Summit, where I actually did get the bump to Red. Unfortunately, I do not have a lap timer so I could not tell you times at either course. A timer is on my Xmas list this year tho. So whatever a decent Red group pace is, will be my approx lap time at VIR N. Hope that gives you a time in proximity to my pace there....

....guessing your trying to see if I even need the tires I listed? Honestly, I have no idea. But figured more grip could never hurt! I ran the Pilot Power 2ct's at all my track days so far and they did just fine, but on a SV. The bike I just bought has some Power Ones B compound on them which will be a HUGE step up from the PP 2ct, and what Im researching to replace once they are toast.

"Trust me, for every time you think you are in "too hot", there is somebody else out there who goes into that same turn...hotter...on purpose...every time" -ToeJam
CCS-#418......Best Lap: VIR N-1.40.8 NJMP-? Summit-1.21.0 Roebling- ?CMP-?

Support: Lingo Networks, Sharkskinz, No Agenda Racing, DC-MOTO.NET, AMSOIL, Leo Vince
!ThatGuy! is offline  
post #4766 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Serial Comma Rapist Admin
 
Moto_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Macon Ga
Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Posts: 117,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
..........I have only been there once........for my first ever track day.......did good though! haha. The coach, I think his name was Bob, said I was running a mid pack Red group pace, but I needed to clean some things up before he gave me a bump from white to red. I was riding a sv650. My other two track days have been at Summit, where I actually did get the bump to Red. Unfortunately, I do not have a lap timer so I could not tell you times at either course. A timer is on my Xmas list this year tho. So whatever a decent Red group pace is, will be my approx lap time at VIR N. Hope that gives you a time in proximity to my pace there....

....guessing your trying to see if I even need the tires I listed? Honestly, I have no idea. But figured more grip could never hurt! I ran the Pilot Power 2ct's at all my track days so far and they did just fine, but on a SV. The bike I just bought has some Power Ones B compound on them which will be a HUGE step up from the PP 2ct, and what Im researching to replace once they are toast.
Power one b is a full race tire. Just be mindful of extended warm up compared to the 2ct.
Moto_Joe is offline  
post #4767 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
!ThatGuy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,974
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
Power one b is a full race tire. Just be mindful of extended warm up compared to the 2ct.
Oh yeah, i know. Thanks for heads up though. Would not have been very cool if I didnt know and expected a PP 2ct warmup time and ate it my first lap out on my new bike. . Im actually planning on getting some Moto-D dual temps. $200 with a warranty!
!ThatGuy! is offline  
post #4768 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:46 PM
AKA 1/4milecrazy
 
Pee Wee Herman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Summit NJ
Motorcycle: Street:2009CBR600RR Track:2007GSXR600
Posts: 5,871
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
Oh yeah, i know. Thanks for heads up though. Would not have been very cool if I didnt know and expected a PP 2ct warmup time and ate it my first lap out on my new bike. . Im actually planning on getting some Moto-D dual temps. $200 with a warranty!
I would suggest staying away from tires that require warmers, and buying warmers till you actually need them. Trust me, this shit is expensive enough as it is.

Put that $200 towards more track days.

I would also suggest doing a LOT of research before you buy tire warmers. I tried to save some money by buying MJMotoGear tire warmers, their stands are great and I would buy another set in a heartbeat.

But when tire warmers dont work it costs a lot more than the money you saved by buying cheap shit. Having a warranty that would replace my tire warmers, no questions asked, would not make this any less of a shitty situation.

Ask me how I know.










This is going to cost me a lot more than the amount of money I saved by not buying the best warmers I could.

If I crashed due to outriding my talent it wouldn't be as bad, but that bike is a serious thorn in my side right now because I crashed due to a defective front tire warmer and sitting on the grid after a lap 1 crash.

Rich
CCS AM #795
T 1:35.38/L 1:14.06
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerVixxen View Post
Mine might be an innie, but I promise you you don't want to get into a dick measuring contest with me, son. I'll win.
Pee Wee Herman is offline  
post #4769 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM
not the powers that be ,not even close
 
600k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South NJ
Motorcycle: 600k2
Posts: 21,986
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

Wonder if lap 1 crash was caused by MJmoto warmer malfunction?
600k2 is online now  
post #4770 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
!ThatGuy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,974
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

^^^^ Ewwww. That's not good. Hope you're OK.

A reputable racer actually suggested the Moto-D warmers, so I have faith in them. I agree about staying away from warmers for as long as possible as warmers usually mean more expensive tires, but dont I NEED them for the P1 B? Or can I get away with a few warm-up laps on those type tires?

This is for trackdays, NOT racing
!ThatGuy! is offline  
post #4771 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM
not the powers that be ,not even close
 
600k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South NJ
Motorcycle: 600k2
Posts: 21,986
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

I rode on the Pirelli Diablo track day slicks and used them with and without warmers incident free. They last a long time.
600k2 is online now  
post #4772 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Serial Comma Rapist Admin
 
Moto_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Macon Ga
Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Posts: 117,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
I would suggest staying away from tires that require warmers, and buying warmers till you actually need them. Trust me, this shit is expensive enough as it is.

Put that $200 towards more track days.

I would also suggest doing a LOT of research before you buy tire warmers. I tried to save some money by buying MJMotoGear tire warmers, their stands are great and I would buy another set in a heartbeat.

But when tire warmers dont work it costs a lot more than the money you saved by buying cheap shit. Having a warranty that would replace my tire warmers, no questions asked, would not make this any less of a shitty situation.

Ask me how I know.










This is going to cost me a lot more than the amount of money I saved by not buying the best warmers I could.

If I crashed due to outriding my talent it wouldn't be as bad, but that bike is a serious thorn in my side right now because I crashed due to a defective front tire warmer and sitting on the grid after a lap 1 crash.
To be fair though I've had two sets of chicken hawks fail too.

The problem wasn't the warmer. Any warmer can fail. The probelem was lack of due diligence. Sorry.

As I said then always check behind your warmers. I don't care if they are chicken hawk pro line super duper magic warmers. They can fail or not warm properly.

Hell I've even had warmers indicating they were warming fine but wind through the rim had my front tire a solid 50* colder than it should have been.
Moto_Joe is offline  
post #4773 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM
AKA 1/4milecrazy
 
Pee Wee Herman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Summit NJ
Motorcycle: Street:2009CBR600RR Track:2007GSXR600
Posts: 5,871
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
To be fair though I've had two sets of chicken hawks fail too.

The problem wasn't the warmer. Any warmer can fail. The probelem was lack of due diligence. Sorry.

As I said then always check behind your warmers. I don't care if they are chicken hawk pro line super duper magic warmers. They can fail or not warm properly.

Hell I've even had warmers indicating they were warming fine but wind through the rim had my front tire a solid 50* colder than it should have been.
You are absolutely right, I am not blaming the tire warmers per se. If I had warmers that had a temperature gauge on them I would have known ahead of time. I already have my gloves on when I take my warmers off, so feeling the tires just doesn't work. I should have taken more precautions, I was even told the day earlier that my tires didnt feel warm when friend removed my warmers for me.

"The bike felt fine all the way till the time it didnt"
Pee Wee Herman is offline  
post #4774 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
!ThatGuy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,974
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
I rode on the Pirelli Diablo track day slicks and used them with and without warmers incident free. They last a long time.
that is the Superbike Pro's, right? Im guessing the SP's would work just fine w/o warmers as well as the new Mich Power One 2ct's? Would def save me some money. One full track days worth!
!ThatGuy! is offline  
post #4775 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM
not the powers that be ,not even close
 
600k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South NJ
Motorcycle: 600k2
Posts: 21,986
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

When the track day slicks are cold they feel flat riding in the pits and paddock, fwiw. Just something I noticed.
600k2 is online now  
post #4776 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Deceptively fast Bob...
 
It's_Just_Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Motorcycle: k8 1000 street, 06 600 track
Posts: 19,453
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
.
I have only been there once. Went :34s. I can't wait to go back. I bet I have :32s if not :31s in me now based on barber and road Atlanta

. I need yo get back there
I managed a 38 my first and only time there. It was a glorious lap where I passed Chris on the brakes right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
....guessing your trying to see if I even need the tires I listed?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
A reputable racer actually suggested the Moto-D warmers, so I have faith in them.
I won't discredit Moto-D, as I haven't used any of their products. But anything you get for free is awesome until it fails and costs you more than it was worth saving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
When the track day slicks are cold they feel flat riding in the pits and paddock, fwiw. Just something I noticed.
Any "properly" inflated race tire will.
It's_Just_Bob is offline  
post #4777 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Serial Comma Rapist Admin
 
Moto_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Macon Ga
Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Posts: 117,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
that is the Superbike Pro's, right? Im guessing the SP's would work just fine w/o warmers as well as the new Mich Power One 2ct's? Would def save me some money. One full track days worth!
The sp dot and the superbike pro slicks are trackday tires.

SC is the race dot. In forget what the race slick is called
Moto_Joe is offline  
post #4778 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Chubby Chaser
 
SPL170db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Jersey
Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)
Posts: 56,666
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

SPL170db is offline  
post #4779 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
!ThatGuy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,974
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj01_6 View Post
Yep.


I won't discredit Moto-D, as I haven't used any of their products. But anything you get for free is awesome until it fails and costs you more than it was worth saving.
..do you think I could actually use the tires I listed to their potential or can I still get the cheaper PP 2ct's?

True about the free thing. Im not getting them for free though. They are $200 bucks. lol. I do not know about their quality firsthand, just that a racer I know used them and he liked them. But if the tires Im getting dont NEED them, I wont buy them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
The sp dot and the superbike pro slicks are trackday tires.

SC is the race dot. In forget what the race slick is called
cool. thanks. finally getting this all figured out. so many choices and combinations its ridiculous.
!ThatGuy! is offline  
post #4780 of 9999 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:03 PM
AKA 1/4milecrazy
 
Pee Wee Herman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Summit NJ
Motorcycle: Street:2009CBR600RR Track:2007GSXR600
Posts: 5,871
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
..do you think I could actually use the tires I listed to their potential or can I still get the cheaper PP 2ct's?

True about the free thing. Im not getting them for free though. They are $200 bucks. lol. I do not know about their quality firsthand, just that a racer I know used them and he liked them. But if the tires Im getting dont NEED them, I wont buy them.
Would you tell everyone how great a product is if a company was to give you that product for free?
Pee Wee Herman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome