Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

K6 Gsxr 1000-(Questionable Trap speed?)

8K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  fastoldguy 
#1 ·
So i went to the track this weekend for the fist time on my 2006 Gsxr 1000. I'm still learning the bike and was not expecting any world record times. My best run was a 10.51 @ 152mph. From everything i have read i was expecting to trap in the mid to low 140s.
Im only 145lbs so i thought i might get a little bit more Mph but not to be in the 150s. Just looking for some insight on where this mph came from?.

Only thing done to the bike is a Yosh slip on, and plus two in the rear.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
No way... That is crazy high.

FWIW, @oldgixxer and I took his old K5 1000 to the strip. He was running 9.6's in the 144-146 range, and his bike had a full exhaust, filter, and was mapped.

#3 ·
yea thats what I'm thinking . my prior run to this i trapped a 151 and i thought it might of been a error at the track, but then backed it up with the 152. i was wondering how much of a difference rider weight actually has on mph. Oh there was also a small tail wind that day.

#4 ·
Not that much... To trap 152 you would need a good amount more HP than a bike with just a slipon.

#6 ·
Lol,there is no way you picked up a legit 42mph in the back half,even with 200rwhp

#10 ·
Maybe... He did say maybe the PO did headwork, so maybe he is hiding stuff.

:dunno

#11 ·
lol The bike has no nitrous, i can barely manage the stock motor. I'm going to try get out to the track again this weekend and switch lanes. see if there is a difference. Only thing i can think of is the traps are not recorded accurately. It was at Toronto Motorsports Park in Ontario.

#12 ·
BTW,what gear are you crossing the traps in? I'm lazy and didnt watch the vid. And,are you lowered or stretched? I'd think +2 on the rear would be a handful. One of my K5s was a wheelie monster w +2 gearing

#13 ·
To gain that much MPH means three things. Either the bike has a lot more work done to it than you know, you know about the work done to it and are hiding it, or the speed traps at that track are shit.

Like I said earlier. For a lowered, strapped, swb, 165rwhp bike (which is a bike with a full exhaust, filter, and mapped), you should be running 9.60-9.90's @ 144-146.

#16 ·
I can not think of one GOOD excuse for that trap speed.

Even when I sucked at launching and was spinning, lifting the front and pulling 2.0 60s Id only trap mid to high 140s (Atco Raceway) so you cant even use the whole...slower 60s = higher trap speeds thought.

BTW. OG if you ever come to atco to race HIT ME UP! Im close as hell, not that good at it but love to do it and would pick your brain for advice.

EDIT: Like I said, Im now 1/4 mile guru....but with out watching the vid (I will soon). Where the hell did this run go wrong? Ive had 1.9s and still run lower 10s on the same bike.

#22 ·
BTW. OG if you ever come to atco to race HIT ME UP! Im close as hell, not that good at it but love to do it and would pick your brain for advice.
I'll be there Friday June 3rd with one of the turbo bikes for a private rental:biggrin

#18 ·
Im really interested in this.

I watched the vid. Looks like minor spin, but from slowing the vid down you cross the line at the top of 4th at about 246kph which IS 152mph, suggesting the track is right.

How in the hell could you have that much more done to your bike and NOT know about it. If there IS that much more done to your bike why are you not making up TIME on the big end and just MPH?

OG help me out here cause now I wont be able to get this out of my head.

#21 ·
i know I'm losing big time in first gear just cause I'm not used to carrying the front wheel. Need to grow a pair and really open it up... As for the bike being modified. Even if the bike had some motor work done would it not have to have a PC in order to reap the benefits? Cause it not having one isn't it safe to assume the motor is probably stock?

#25 ·
Well, then the timing/speed monitor at that track is shit, lol...

#32 ·
So i went back to the track today! The bad news is, i don't have the worlds fastest stock Gsxr1000 :) , The good news is, i knocked a tenth off my 60ft and two tenths off my ET. I was running Consistent 143mph in the left lane and then did one run in the right which trapped 150mph. so obviously something is way off with the right lane. I have been going to this track for years in cars and never had a problem, so maybe it only happens with bikes.
Anyways, Today was a good day.

Attachments

#34 ·
Yes,thats exactly where you should be mph-wise

#35 ·
I had the same issue with my k7. I have 10+ passes over 150 on a stock motor bike with just the cat out and no tune. One was 155 mph. So, that ain't completely realistic, har. Good to know someone else has had this happen, as I couldn't make head or tails of the reason for it. I was working on moving the mph up as much as I could, at the time so, I was making the track longer with soft launches but, yeah, not realistic. Same track, same lane, every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.