Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Gear ratios per track guide

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  1000onfire 
#1 ·
I'm sure a lot of guys have done a lot of gear ration adjusting for different tracks.

I've been told in the past that you want to top out your ratio just past 3/4's after the longest straight.

Is that even comparable to the real world? :dunno

#2 ·
I think generally street gearing is a little too tall (made for mileage) to be optimal for track use. Usually people like a -1 on the front and +2 on the rear while converting to a 520 pitch chain - this is a decent 'all around', but tracks with longer straights or those that are more technical might want taller or shorter.

Another consideration is rear squat under drive - bigger rear sprockets mean more squat when you're on the gas hard. As a result a lot of the R6 guys I see at the track going -2/-2 which is pretty close to -1/+2. My 750 has a -2/stock rear, that's a little aggressive but I'm going to see how it feels in the spring.

#3 ·
Question on same concept.

for my track, on my +2 rear sprocket, I can do 265kph on the longest straight before I have to slow down.
1) Now considering -1 front +2 rear, but, I dont know if this shorter gearing will actually make me gain speed on the longest straight?
As opposed to, would it only make me reach 265kph quicker?

2) Should I gear short enough to hit the limiter the moment I reach top speed on the longest straight?
I.E. if I top out at 265kph, should I gear to be at 6 gear hitting the limiter at 265kph? Or?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.