Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

First track day question.

3K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  LiferSBKRider 
#1 ·
For some unknown reason, I've never done a track day.
Been riding all my life, had the third 1986 GSXR 750 to ever hit Houston.
I have a 2007 gsxr1000 and will use it for my first track day.

It's body works are getting replaced any way pretty soon, so not too worried.

I have a basically new set of 016's Bridgestone tire set 120 fr 190 rr. These were purchased, not stock on bike.

I have a sneaking suspicion I will push pretty good once released, though I'm not trying to be a prodigy.
My nature is to push pretty good.
Would it be fine to run these tires, or do you recommend something more suited.
I just don't want to walk away thinking my result would have been better on a different set of tires.

Thanks for your time.

#15 ·
I've been asking this very question for a while now, getting a lot of good feedback from local track day warriors.

General thought is, any sport bike tire will be sufficient for your first couple track days. You'll be learning the track: brake points, apex, getting comfortable on the bike, suspension adjustments, etc..

I just bought a set of Bridgestone S21 for my bike. I'm planning on splurging on some nice Supercorsas once these wear out.

Reactions: LiferSBKRider
#16 ·
I just bought a set of Bridgestone S21 for my bike. I'm planning on splurging on some nice Supercorsas once these wear out.
S21s are SUPERB on the track mate (at least for my level) - I have them on a K6 1000 and they grip easily as well as Rosso Corsas, but they are also great in the wet. Best all-round tyre I've ridden. I actually had T30 EVO on my 600 previously and they do well too. Ron Haslam's race school had them on their school bikes.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that any tyre will do though - I did my first track day on Maxxis Super Maxx, which are supposed to be OK... they were not OK. They gave me a couple of scares and after that I was too afraid to push again, ruined my day and confidence for a while. If you have to ride on shit tyres, you really need to get the pressures right and let the rubber warm up well.

#19 ·
First track day, run what you brung....you will air them down regardless and I am SURE that they will hold YOUR pace. I see guys on old honda 160's with moped tires that probably run a faster lap than you could, being your first track day. Tires aren't your concern but trying to relax is, remember have fun and try to enjoy it, the speed will come.

#25 ·
Do you ride a lot in the area? Im a fair weather rider aka when its above 65 and below 100 with zero rain clouds in sight. But theres a few of us who either are into doing a track day coming up or have done a few that ride together in the hill country. Just in case youre interested in some rides this spring, just extending the invitation to meet up with other riders. The owner of Motomummy has a facebook group called Austin Sportbikes and we use it similar to a forum for setting up rides together..if youre interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.