2nd gear wheelies - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000
2nd gear wheelies

I have heard that these bikes are really easy to bring up in second. I can not seem to do it and carry it very far. I do have the suspension set up for more track settings so I am sure that it is stiffer than delievered but what technic is widely used to get the 1000 up in 2nd. The bike is all stock and I am thinking about this week ordering a -1 front sprocket. Not just for wheelies just to have more grunt coming out of the corners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Re: 2nd gear wheelies

Get to about 5k and clutch it up.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000

I tried clutching maybe I didn't do it right but it sounded really violent to me like it was causing alot of damage. I might have been doing it wrong, how would you suggest doing it? When you clutch it up how smooth does it come up?
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:16 PM
It'sa meee! The bald Sicilian plumber Admin...

Motorcycle: None currently...

i would start with just rolling on the throttle with about 5 grand on the tach. it will come up.

once you get comfortable with that, you will know at what rpm it will get to the balance point. once you know that, you can begin clutching it up.

edit: don't forget to cover the rear brake in case you start to go too far...

Last edited by Anthony D; 04-11-2006 at 04:24 PM.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Rookie

give it a little bounce
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 04' Blue and White gixxer 1K

bounce it by being around 5k rpm in second gear wack the throttle and make the weight shift to the rear of the bike, then let off of the throttle quikly and compress the front forks, then wack it again and it should come up rather easily, play like that for a while and then u can start practicing clutching the bike up, while in second. On my bike I can just wack the throttle in second gear at about 6-7k rpms and it comes up usually, the only drawback is the fact that u will be running around 70-80 mph. Lower your rear tire pressure to about 25psi this will help u balance the bike better.

Whoa what just happened?

Last edited by jdub0204; 04-12-2006 at 12:34 AM.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Back Marker

I have found that clutching the bike up in second is alot smother and you can be running slower mph. Just be running about 45mph or so pull in the clutch tach it up to about 7-8k and dump the clutch, I usually don't get any weird sounds when I do this so I don't know what u are hearing. It can be a little intimidating at first so it takes alot of practice, and remember if you set the bike down hard you will run the risk of popping a front fork seal.

Last edited by jdub0204; 04-12-2006 at 12:32 AM.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 05:14 PM
loves oldgixxer and Anthony D

Motorcycle: 2012 Harley Davidson Road Glide Custom 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R/ AK's, AR's, M4's

This isnt the stunt forum you damn squids!!!! Go and break the law somewhere else you damn delinquents!!

j/k
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Supersport Racer

Motorcycle: 06 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnyChaps
This isnt the stunt forum you damn squids!!!! Go and break the law somewhere else you damn delinquents!!

j/k

HAHAHAHAH beat me to the punch!

You shouldnt have to clutch 2nd gear, are you sitting/leaning back?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:1k:.
HAHAHAHAH beat me to the punch!

You shouldnt have to clutch 2nd gear, are you sitting/leaning back?
If you dont no how to clutch wheelie your gixxer in 2nd gear then dont even try. That front wheel will come up on you so fast, next thing you know, your on your ass wishing you never tried. Its obvious that you need to learn more throttle control before you go clutching that wheel up.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Rookie

Motorcycle: K5 Gsxr1000

just crack it open at 7000 rpm and keep it open, it takes a second for it to come up... or bounce it a little by rolling on and off the throttle, then cracking it open. she will come straight up no worries mate
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub0204
I have found that clutching the bike up is alot smother and you can be running slower mph. Just be running about 45mph or so pull in the clutch tach it up to about 7-8k and dump the clutch, I usually don't get any weird sounds when I do this so I don't know what u are hearing. It can be a little intimidating at first so it takes alot of practice, and remember if you set the bike down hard you will run the risk of popping a front fork seal.
I dare you to do that on 1st gear??!?!?!
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Novice

Motorcycle: blue/white k6 1000

Quote:
I have found that clutching the bike up is alot smother and you can be running slower mph. Just be running about 45mph or so pull in the clutch tach it up to about 7-8k and dump the clutch, I usually don't get any weird sounds when I do this so I don't know what u are hearing. It can be a little intimidating at first so it takes alot of practice, and remember if you set the bike down hard you will run the risk of popping a front fork seal.
just how "hard" is "hard" when you're talking about bringing the bike down and popping fork seals?

The reason I ask is because my bike is having a fork seal replaced right now and suzuki is telling me that they're only going to warranty this one time and suggest that i stop riding wheelies. The only problem is that I've never rode any big wheelies. I mean, its impossible to ride this bike and not bring the front up when you're on it hard, but is coming down from small power wheelies enough to break a fork seal?
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Rookie

Motorcycle: 06 k6

From what I hear suzuki can be a bully... Damn yakazumi
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy_what_da
I dare you to do that on 1st gear??!?!?!

I ride wheelies all of the time in first gear, what are u scared of first gear?

Last edited by jdub0204; 04-11-2006 at 11:09 PM.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOk6
just how "hard" is "hard" when you're talking about bringing the bike down and popping fork seals?

The reason I ask is because my bike is having a fork seal replaced right now and suzuki is telling me that they're only going to warranty this one time and suggest that i stop riding wheelies. The only problem is that I've never rode any big wheelies. I mean, its impossible to ride this bike and not bring the front up when you're on it hard, but is coming down from small power wheelies enough to break a fork seal?
Hard means getting scared when the bike come up really high and just completely letting of of the throttle and letting the front slam down. Normal small power wheelies shouldn't damage a fork seal.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnyChaps

j/k
Hey I got a great idea, lets slap a moderator label on your arse and let u go around patroling each thread for squids. And FYI I am not a sqiuid, wheelies are not my thing.

Last edited by jdub0204; 04-12-2006 at 12:31 AM.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Supersport Racer

Quote:
Hey I got a great idea, lets slap a moderator label on your ass and let u go around patroling each thread for squids. And FYI I am not a sqiuid, wheelies are not my thing.
No need to be a thug. He was kidding.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Novice

I have no problem at all clutching 1st and riding it through. i just dont think its necessary to bring the rpms that high (7k-8k) when using the clutch method for 1st gear. When i said " i dare you to do that on 1st gear" thats going towards people trying to nail the clutch method that have never nailed it before. The person asking about clutching up second gear from what i can tell has never got his front in the air at a decent hight on his preview bike and kept it up in the air. Now why would you even try clutching up a new gixxer 1000? Its a no brainer, you dont learn how to clutch your wheel up on 1000cc bike, thats just nuts and your asking for trouble. Majority of riders on this forum replying to your post giving you advice on how to bring that bitch up w/ the clutch have learned on a smaller bike. yeah your going to learn how to clutch wheelie your bike by reading and all these great advise from riders. It only takes a second or less for that front wheel to come up to balance point, i just hope your brain is ready to execute what you have read within that second.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy_what_da
I have no problem at all clutching 1st and riding it through. i just dont think its necessary to bring the rpms that high (7k-8k) when using the clutch method for 1st gear. When i said " i dare you to do that on 1st gear" thats going towards people trying to nail the clutch method that have never nailed it before. The person asking about clutching up second gear from what i can tell has never got his front in the air at a decent hight on his preview bike and kept it up in the air. Now why would you even try clutching up a new gixxer 1000? Its a no brainer, you dont learn how to clutch your wheel up on 1000cc bike, thats just nuts and your asking for trouble. Majority of riders on this forum replying to your post giving you advice on how to bring that bitch up w/ the clutch have learned on a smaller bike. yeah your going to learn how to clutch wheelie your bike by reading and all these great advise from riders. It only takes a second or less for that front wheel to come up to balance point, i just hope your brain is ready to execute what you have read within that second.
+1

But you dont need to clutch to bring up a 1k, in 3rd and 4th yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode