3Likes
  • 2 Post By Anthony D
  • 1 Post By Samantha750

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
MSM Levers. Sweet.

Just got a new set of levers from Mad Scientist Moto, just wanted to mention them as the price is sweet at $60 and I'm very happy with them! MSM is a small shop down in CT, racer owned. Got my levers in 2 days and had them on in 10 minutes. Finally clutching with two fingers! I'll get some pics up when it's light out but you can check them out on their website.

No affiliation with them, just love finding local kit and the price is pretty great, thought I'd pass it along.

Plus they come in nice soft little bags (hell yes), and you can pick the lever color/length and adjuster color, so easy to customize!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 07:37 PM
Not the powers that be, not even close.

Motorcycle: 600k2
Re: MSM Levers. Sweet.

I wouldn't. Looks Chinese.

Hope they work ok. That's all.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 2011 gsxr750

They look very familiar . Well, glad you like your purchase .

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

I know they're made in CT, maybe the aluminum is from China but don't really care, lots of folks on NESR race/track with them and I've heard nothing but good things. For an affordable lever with a local company that stands behind their name I'm happy I got them. Plus cheap enough to have a set of spares for track days and whatnot.

I believe he's in the process of prototyping a new folding lever with a bunch of "features", nice knowing there's a person behind the product:

Mad Scientist Moto - prototype for new levers and looking for feedback - ZX6R Forum

Cool. What do you guys use/recommend?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 07:48 PM
Pipe-laying Admin...

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Levers are a very tricky thing. Most people go with a known, reputable brand like FP, ASV, Pazzo, or CRG, because the cheap levers have been known to lock up the front brakes at very inconvenient times, like going down the front straight at 160mph.
JP1143 and Tekime like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
Levers are a very tricky thing. Most people go with a known, reputable brand like FP, ASV, Pazzo, or CRG, because the cheap levers have been known to lock up the front brakes at very inconvenient times, like going down the front straight at 160mph.
I'm sure they are worth every penny and when I get to that level will surely be getting top shelf stuff. These aren't at that level. I'm new to the track and trying to keep a bit of a budget so my wife doesn't kill me in my sleep. But the MSM levers have definitely been track tested by a lot of local racers/track guys and for the price point they do seem to be well liked. I'm guessing there are others on here that also ride and track on a budget so maybe it'll be worth having these on the radar... maybe not. If they get me killed I'll be sure to post pics though.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Just thought I'd add a few thoughts here. You all make a very valid point about cheap levers - braking is a pretty important system lol

I found this thread mentioning some of the concerns about cheap (Chinese) levers.

After some digging around NESR forums it looks like he does source materials from China and assembles here in US.

There are probably a dozen NESR members who swear by them, whatever materials he's using I don't think they are shitty "cast" aluminum, no reports of breaking and a few reports of crashes/tangles where they held their own, so that gives me a bit of confidence.

Regarding the pivot bushing, you reuse the OEM bushing.

There is a brass (I think) seat for the master cylinder pin that lines up perfectly on my bike.

I wouldn't say this rules out the top three dangers from that thread, but it does address them enough to make me feel comfortable using these on the street and maybe a track day or two. Thinking next spring I might invest in some top shelf levers and keep these as a spare, but then again maybe I'll just keep them if they continue to impress.

So I would probably say that if you're considering a cheap lever option, don't go eBay - these are at the very least vetted and tested on the track and purpose built for each bike. BUT if you can manage to spend the money listen to these other guys and go for some quality brand name levers or OEM.

Personally the OEM levers were driving me nuts and I'm forcing myself to learn 2 finger clutch, I can finally do it with these on the bike and love the easy adjusters.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 08:29 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Looks like Chinese levers with his branding on it. At the prices he's asking, there is no way in hell I would buy them over CRG, ASV, FP, etc. Those guys have been in it for a long time and are reputable, while he's a nobody asking a pretty penny.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 08:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2008 SV650S
MSM Levers. Sweet.

No warranty on them, I prefer a company that stands by their product. I had FP levers on my 600 which are reasonably priced and top quality.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:05 PM

Garage

Check this shit out:
Here's his:

Here's the China levers:

Looks identical to me, at 50% higher pricing. Sweet!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:03 AM
I CAN tell the difference between a squirrel and a monkey...

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Shit,I'm glad after all these years of riding and racking up miles that I prefer OEM levers.
Im sure Im the minority here,most everyone I see has aftermarket levers of some sort on their bikes.
I've ridden friends bikes that have adjustable CRG's,etc and I can't get comfy even after playing with adjustments.
Mine are staying stock
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Looks identical to me, at 50% higher pricing. Sweet!
Haha yep, basically identical, with the exception of the breakoff cut.

Personally I would still gladly pay the $60 again over eBay China. Shipping was 2 days. He would replace/refund them if needed, no haggling with someone overseas that speaks broken English. His source has been used/tested on a lot of bikes. He checks every lever that comes through. I see it as getting an affordable lever and paying for the convenience and peace of mind of having them pass through the hands of an experienced rider/racer who has vetted their source. For all I know those eBay ones are the throwaways from the mill lol

6061-T6 aluminum is the same material used in CRG's, also CNC milled.

Definitely not arguing these are CRG/Pazzo quality, but I gave them a shot and I'm happy I did. Having inspected closely the bushing, M/C push pin assembly, and knowing there are a lot of people using these on the track and street I'm fairly confident in them.

Just sharing my experience with them and why I chose MSM. I also always try to buy from & support local/small businesses so I'm happy to be doing that. That's the only thing that turned me on to them to begin with. I like dealing with actual people.

Maybe next year I'll pony up the cash for some fancy schmansy levers, once I'm at a point where I'm familiar with the bike, what it needs, and where to start spending the big bucks. Maybe MSM will have their super prototype levers on the market then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Shit,I'm glad after all these years of riding and racking up miles that I prefer OEM levers.
Im sure Im the minority here,most everyone I see has aftermarket levers of some sort on their bikes.
I've ridden friends bikes that have adjustable CRG's,etc and I can't get comfy even after playing with adjustments.
Mine are staying stock
Haha, well I've never had an issue with OEM levers but these are making it a lot easier to two finger clutch! Never been able to do that comfortably.

Think everyone wants to put their own personal touch on their bike too - levers are an easy place to start. I don't like the looks of the OEM levers much on the gixx.

Usually when it comes to mechanical stuff I stick with OEM.. especially if it's inside the motor

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Both OG&I admitted we were wrong on 5/13/15

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
If they get me killed I'll be sure to post pics though.
I'm holding you to this
Tekime likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 06:58 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
Haha yep, basically identical, with the exception of the breakoff cut.

Personally I would still gladly pay the $60 again over eBay China. Shipping was 2 days. He would replace/refund them if needed, no haggling with someone overseas that speaks broken English. His source has been used/tested on a lot of bikes. He checks every lever that comes through. I see it as getting an affordable lever and paying for the convenience and peace of mind of having them pass through the hands of an experienced rider/racer who has vetted their source. For all I know those eBay ones are the throwaways from the mill lol

6061-T6 aluminum is the same material used in CRG's, also CNC milled.

Definitely not arguing these are CRG/Pazzo quality, but I gave them a shot and I'm happy I did. Having inspected closely the bushing, M/C push pin assembly, and knowing there are a lot of people using these on the track and street I'm fairly confident in them.

Just sharing my experience with them and why I chose MSM. I also always try to buy from & support local/small businesses so I'm happy to be doing that. That's the only thing that turned me on to them to begin with. I like dealing with actual people.

Maybe next year I'll pony up the cash for some fancy schmansy levers, once I'm at a point where I'm familiar with the bike, what it needs, and where to start spending the big bucks. Maybe MSM will have their super prototype levers on the market then.

Haha, well I've never had an issue with OEM levers but these are making it a lot easier to two finger clutch! Never been able to do that comfortably.

Think everyone wants to put their own personal touch on their bike too - levers are an easy place to start. I don't like the looks of the OEM levers much on the gixx.

Usually when it comes to mechanical stuff I stick with OEM.. especially if it's inside the motor
I'm almost positive those are straight from eBay, not from him. The eBay ones are CNC, too, and have the breakoff cut. My friend has a pair. Unless you can watch him personally have them milled, I'm pretty certain he's just buying and branding eBay ones.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 07:56 PM
Not the powers that be, not even close.

Motorcycle: 600k2

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: K4 1143, L2 1K
Garage

You get what you pay for! Corey at MotoMummy don't sell junk for a reason. I seen some people buy some eBay levers bc they want to be cheap and get something for nothing. Stick with reputable brands and you will be pleased. I personally have always used FP and loved them. Pazzo are nice too. Both have a good feel to them.

But its your money so do what you want.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

They're still working great, I'll upgrade eventually but not disappointed with the purchase at all. High quality aftermarket levers are expensive and I'm putting the cash elsewhere for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode