Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

what kinda helmet lid do you wear? any good recommendation?

6K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  TwistedMister 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
what kinda helmet lid do you wear? any good recommendation?

#10 ·
Please ditch the ICON ASAP. I have seen some horrible things happen to people's faces who crashed while wearing ICON helmets.

You couldn't pay me enough to wear one.

A member here (and a friend of mine IRL) was one of the worst examples. The chin bar broke off in a mild crash, and stabbed him in the face, requiring a shit ton of plastic surgery.

#12 ·
Find a good shop that has helmets for you to try on & take your time. Even within the same brand like Arai, different models fit very differently as they are made for different head shapes. For example, Shoei is a great helmet, but they don't like my head shape & I have strong pressure points with them. An Arai Signet Q fits me really well.

Reactions: nannynooch
#13 ·
I only wear Arai.

I had an HJC years ago and it just never sat right on my head. It was thrown in with my old 750 by the dealer.

Now...since all of our heads are shaped differently the jury will always be out on which brand is better than the other. Whatever you do, NEVER take the cheap route when protecting your brain!

#16 ·
I have an ICON bio skull that I love the looks of. Used it most of this season. But it never really fit right and rode down over my eyes. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Shoei RF1200 Brigand and cannot believe the difference in fit. Looks like the Icon won't be getting any more seat time from now on.

#19 ·
Dunno man. :dunno Any recent evidence that Arai is shit? I was actually thinking about buying two new helmets soon. One for me and the lady. I've never had a problem with them in the past but then I have been lucky enough to not hit my head on the pavement, street or racetrack.

#20 ·
I currently have a Scorpion exo1100 and am about to get the R2000. Scorpion helmets are awesome. The one thing that makes them different from the rest in a awesome way, is the pumped up cheek pad. You can pump up the cheek pads, so it is always a nice fit. You will always get that new helmet feel. You can still get the exo 1100, if you don't want to go overboard. It has a internal sun visor and its half the price of what it used to be. The r2000 is a bit more race helmet. It even comes with a free dark visor. Exo is 170 and R2000 is 380. Cant go wrong with both and your not shelling out over 500 bones for a just as good helmet. Most moto gp guys are wearing the R2000, just because it is a badass helmet.

#25 ·
... Most moto gp guys are wearing the R2000, just because it is a badass helmet....

One,I repeat, one (1) motogp rider gets paid to wear Scorpion.

My RX-7 Arai was great overall,just some little defects like neck collar coming off and broken air vent adjusters.
I currently own a SHOEI X-Spirit II or X-12 for you Americans. It performs great.

I agree with the guys saying that the best helmet is the one that fits your head best.head shape is what defines that.

#24 ·
Idk about other brands...I like Arai because it's the exact same one that racers get, right off the shelf. I like the fact that they believe in their product. The only thing, the glue does come apart after about 12 years but it's not that bad. I've crashed and my friends have crashed with Arai's, on the street and the track. I trust and believe in them...and they look so cool!

#26 ·
arai are bit too loud
schubert are opposite way
shoei /agv are on same line of well maded helmets (not that expensive)
hjc quality : water came in , repaired three time , got a brand new one as replace , water still flow inside (discovered they are built in china )
my helmets corr. 6 agv ,4 arai , 4 shoei , 2 schubert and 1 hjc

#30 ·
ok, I had, some vegga, helmet, then got Shark RSI and did not like it, wobbles about on my head, and then i got a SHOEI-XR-1000-Camino-TC-6 very air dynamic. Anf for me the best looking helmet in the world :) Its like a piano

#34 ·
I have a Shoei XR1100 and Bell M6 Carbon. They are both good lids. It fits my head very well as it should. The venting systems are good. Wind noise - Not bad.

You might find the best rated lid for top dollar but the fit might not be just for you. So the best thing to do is go try numerous lids to see which fits you best.

Check out this link, guideline of how the lid should fit....http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/get-right-fit

#35 ·
Ive worn all the major brands except for maybe schuberth. The biggest problem for me was the small viewports. I last used a Bell and HATED it.. it was one of the cheaper models and that reflected. It was heavy and had two hot spots on top of my head.

i was sponsored by Kali Protectives last year and am grateful because i was taken out at high speed during a race and went tumbling all over damaging the helmet on three sides. look at this- Kali Protectives

I wore the carbon and it was the lightest helmet ive ever worn or laid hands on. I still have a fractured wrist that is healing and other soreness, months later, buut i never had a problem with my head/neck at all.

I wouldnt hesitate to get or wear another and recommend them.

#41 ·
just picked up a GREAT short ride low speed helmet in the AGV K3-vs. $130, you need ear plugs and its not snell but for those low speed runs to the store and what not its GREAT, great venting, has the snap down solar visor like the schuberth s1-s2...

real real light 3lbs 4oz's... yup comfy enough for me on those slow days

wouldn't put it on the track or the freeway as its not snell rated and thats where they lose all that weight, but if you need a good vented helmet with a snap down sun visor its perfect... neat colors too, mostly rossi style but hey for $130?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.