Tyre pressure and heat. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Married his Fleshlight...

Tyre pressure and heat.

Hey guys so I've been running the stock pressure on my 750 up in the twisties. Normally I have more than sufficient grip for what I'm doing.

Lately though we've been having a heatwave hear in australia and temperatures are near 40 degrees. Now when I'm coming out of a sharp turns and applying power in 1st and 2nd the back starts sliding, progessively though.

I'm just wondering if maybe I should let a few psi out? I have a feeling that would cause more heat in the tyre.

I'm running Dunlop Q3

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Head down, ass up , knee down.
by FAR my favorite sex positio.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:21 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000
Re: Tyre pressure and heat.

As the tire heats up, tire pressure increases. You need to take a pressure reading right after you notice this happening. Posting pictures of the tire will also help in identifying if you tire is suffering hot tear or not. If you're running above 32 lbs. lower it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:46 PM
I move away from the mic

Motorcycle: 2006 R1 50th
Garage

From Dave Moss: "For the street, I will run compromise between longevity and grip, normally running tires between 34 and 38 front and rear. I keep both even in psi - controlled carcass flex. For the track and when coaching I will run the hot pressures just a little high to keep the tires at 170F range so they wear well but not excessively. On the race bikes, I will run what I need to get max grip at all times, even if that means accelerated wear."

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Did you set the "cold" tire pressure recently (AKA, the pressure before you ride)? And to what pressure?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: CBR600RR

To address your sliding issue, it could be a combination of your weight, pressure and compression...or you're coming on too hard with the throttle.

Is your suspension set up? Sag at least? Check this diagram for a great reference for diagnosing suspension and maneuverability:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suspensionguide02s.jpg (229.4 KB, 13 views)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Did you set the "cold" tire pressure recently (AKA, the pressure before you ride)? And to what pressure?
Yeh, I set my pressure when cold once a week. 36 front 42 rear which is the recommended. I always felt like that was a bit high for enthusiastic riding. It does give the feeling of the bike being on it toes which I like. Also I imagine the recommended pressure would give me the best mileage?

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Chaos View Post
To address your sliding issue, it could be a combination of your weight, pressure and compression...or you're coming on too hard with the throttle.

Is your suspension set up? Sag at least? Check this diagram for a great reference for diagnosing suspension and maneuverability:
I do get on the throttle hard, but I just imagine it would take a bit more than what I'm doing to get sliding on a 750 or maybe not. Maybe I should take it to the track...if there was one here

I run the stock suspension settings. I'm under 80kg and about 5" 11.The bikes handles amazing IMO ...but I will definitely see where my I'm sitting in the stroke and see if any adjustments are needed.

I do however while leant over get some chatter in the front when hitting bumps. So that either the rebound or there is too much bias in the rear or the front...which could also correlate to my sliding issue.

I think when I'm at the mechanic next I'll get him.to sit down with me and get the race sag done.

I have a feeling it's the tyres though because they are fine in the morning when cool but as it heats up I get the feeling of the being greasy...maybe just overheating? I doubt it on the street

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bentoverhard69; 02-14-2017 at 08:51 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Rain View Post
From Dave Moss: "For the street, I will run compromise between longevity and grip, normally running tires between 34 and 38 front and rear. I keep both even in psi - controlled carcass flex. For the track and when coaching I will run the hot pressures just a little high to keep the tires at 170F range so they wear well but not excessively. On the race bikes, I will run what I need to get max grip at all times, even if that means accelerated wear."
I use to run lower pressure, but it made the bike turn slower and I got less mileage and more uneven wear..but maybe the hot pressure now in this heat is excessive

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesxara View Post
As the tire heats up, tire pressure increases. You need to take a pressure reading right after you notice this happening. Posting pictures of the tire will also help in identifying if you tire is suffering hot tear or not. If you're running above 32 lbs. lower it.
I'll take a picture when I hit the twisties next, I did a bunch of slow street riding this morning so it smoothed off the tyre surface a bit.

I'll need a tyre pressure gauge to test the hot pressure. The air pumps at the gas stations here are pretty accurate ha, or all equally inaccurate ha.

Last edited by bentoverhard69; 02-14-2017 at 08:45 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Not really old,just Vintage

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoverhard69 View Post
I'll take a picture when I hit the twisties next, I did a bunch of slow street riding this morning so it smoothed off the tyre surface a bit.

I'll need a tyre pressure gauge to test the hot pressure. The air pumps at the gas stations here are pretty accurate ha, or all equally inaccurate ha.

I don't know that I've ever seen a gauge at a gas station that was accurate. Most I've checked were off at least 5lbs. Buy a gauge for yourself asap.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart01 View Post
I don't know that I've ever seen a gauge at a gas station that was accurate. Most I've checked were off at least 5lbs. Buy a gauge for yourself asap.
Ye I know, I've got no excuse ha. It was always just so convinient to use the electric one at the gas station round the corner.

I guess if I wanna be serious about riding I have to take these things into consideration

It's raining here today...we only have 2 seasons here..wet and dry. I love the tropics though. I had a cassowary (big dinosaur bird thing) jump out in front of my bike the other day and chased it down the road!

Last edited by bentoverhard69; 02-15-2017 at 12:00 AM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:54 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: 2008 GSXR 750

Quote:
Yeh, I set my pressure when cold once a week. 36 front 42 rear which is the recommended. I always felt like that was a bit high for enthusiastic riding. It does give the feeling of the bike being on it toes which I like. Also I imagine the recommended pressure would give me the best mileage?

Your cold pressure seems high, I would defiantly lower the rear.

I run between 30-32 front and rear(Q3s) and see more even wear on the tire since I do more commuting than anything right now but when I do lean it to it I still feel planted, obviously after the tires have been warmed up.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:37 AM
Drunkz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:
I'm just wondering if maybe I should let a few psi out?

Won't hurt if you back off the pressure a bit. You can always add more air again if you don't like it. I also think the recommended stock settings are a bit high. Be sure to grab a nice digital tire gauge when you get a chance.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Won't hurt if you back off the pressure a bit. You can always add more air again if you don't like it. I also think the recommended stock settings are a bit high. Be sure to grab a nice digital tire gauge when you get a chance.
I'm just concerned with mileage and getting the most out of my tyres. I live at the base of the mountain range and am on a nice twisty road %80 of the time.

My tyres are always wearing on the sides well before the middle, once the sides are getting low I have to just take it on longer trips with less bends to finish them off ha. I hear the less flex in the tyre the more mileage..to an extent.

Never been one for burnouts, i cringe when i see people doing burnouts and then riding away on the same ruined tyre haha. I do like the good occasional wheelie on a clear and straight road though

I use to run 34 , 36 on my ninja 300 and that was the sweet spot on that bike, I'll try it on this and report back.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:00 AM
I move away from the mic

Motorcycle: 2006 R1 50th
Garage

Quote:
I use to run lower pressure, but it made the bike turn slower and I got less mileage and more uneven wear..but maybe the hot pressure now in this heat is excessive

Keep in mind that tire pressures should be changed with the type of riding. The recommended tire pressures on the swing-arm are for most efficient MPG and tire wear.

Running lower pressure is fine if the tires are being pushed to heat up, if not, then you have slow turn in and uneven wear. Tire pressures are never really just set it and leave it, they should be changed for the type of riding you will do. The quote above from Dave Moss states this, change your pressures for the ride.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Rain View Post
Keep in mind that tire pressures should be changed with the type of riding. The recommended tire pressures on the swing-arm are for most efficient MPG and tire wear.

Running lower pressure is fine if the tires are being pushed to heat up, if not, then you have slow turn in and uneven wear. Tire pressures are never really just set it and leave it, they should be changed for the type of riding you will do. The quote above from Dave Moss states this, change your pressures for the ride.
These are the wear markers on the edge and in the middle. Keep in mind I haven't been up to the mountains due to the rain so the wear isn't there.

I only get like 20 runs up and down the mountain and they're nearly cooked on the edges...is it possible due to running a high pressure it's actually causing the edges to wear prematurely? I've only had these tyres 2 weeks

I guess the sliding also could be me and not the tyre. I feel like my BP is on point, weight on my outside leg and gripping the tank. Looking well into the corner with my head and upper body and not exaggerating my lower body.

There's old guys been riding for decades on s1000rr and rsv4s..when it gets to the real technical parts of the mountain they're struggling to keep up. I love my 750

Last edited by bentoverhard69; 02-15-2017 at 11:58 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I'm just concerned with mileage and getting the most out of my tyres.
Try a set of Bridgestone S21s after you burn the Q3s up. They have a triple compound center and I like them MUCH better than the Q3s. I have gotten over 3300 miles on my set (CBR600RR) primarily running 31F, 30R and they are barely starting to square off...
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Try a set of Bridgestone S21s after you burn the Q3s up. They have a triple compound center and I like them MUCH better than the Q3s. I have gotten over 3300 miles on my set (CBR600RR) primarily running 31F, 30R and they are barely starting to square off...
I was looking at them and have heard nothing but good things. The Q3s here are so cheap compared to s21s. I'm wondering if the extra mileage I get out of them will make up for it.

I actually have the opposite problem where I live. My tyres run out on the edges much quicker than in the middle. I just live on a twisty road. My tyres live on the edge most of the time. Do you think it's worth the extra coin?

I almost need something with a softer middle than edge haha, I doubt anyone makes them though!

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I was looking at them and have heard nothing but good things. The Q3s here are so cheap compared to s21s. I'm wondering if the extra mileage I get out of them will make up for it.

I actually have the opposite problem where I live. My tyres run out on the edges much quicker than in the middle. I just live on a twisty road. My tyres live on the edge most of the time. Do you think it's worth the extra coin?

I almost need something with a softer middle than edge haha, I doubt anyone makes them though!

Hmm..from what I have seen, they are relatively the same price. In fact, Rocky Mountain ATV has the S21 rear $30 cheaper than the Q3 rear...

I'm glad I looked at that. I can get a set for less than $200...$150 when Bridgestone runs their rebate.

Lucky bastard you get twisties all the time! I would venture to guess the sides would hold up better on the S21s as well. The S21s layers are triple, double, single. Where as the Q3 is double, single.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmm..from what I have seen, they are relatively the same price. In fact, Rocky Mountain ATV has the S21 rear $30 cheaper than the Q3 rear...

I'm glad I looked at that. I can get a set for less than $200...$150 when Bridgestone runs their rebate.

Lucky bastard you get twisties all the time! I would venture to guess the sides would hold up better on the S21s as well. The S21s layers are triple, double, single. Where as the Q3 is double, single.
Welcome to Australia, where we pay just a little bit extra for no good reason . Even new release games are $100 here...

Why get the same tyre twice I guess, try something new.
I think a rear Q3 is $260 here and an s21 is $320..

If you can deal with the heat we have some sick roads here in Australia. Got to watch out for suicidal kamikaze kangaroos though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode