Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Idiot is thinking about upgrading soon

4K views 83 replies 19 participants last post by  coopgt1 
#1 ·
Hey guys, back again here and I have a different question. I'm looking to upgrade from my 250 to a 600 or even a 1000 by the end of March or April. I am leaning towards a 1000 over a 600 for value for money. I am looking to buy an older Yamaha R6 or R1. The problem I have is that 1999-2002 R6's are Carb'd bikes and I hate carbs at this point. The 2002 - 2008 Yamaha R1's look great and are also fuel injected. R1's seem to be selling cheaper than the 600's in my area so the financially best option is the 1000. Mommy and daddy are covering insurance so I don't need to worry about that. I guess what I am asking is there an advantage to owning a 1000 over a 600? I don't really know what i want to spend my money on. It would need to be a Fuel injected Yamaha R1 or R6 I guess.

#7 ·
Well I mean i've been riding my 250 quite a bit and I still have a couple months to gather my skills, am I suppose to keep the thing forever? I figured i'd ask the people who know best when it comes to motorcycles, which bike is more comfortable and better for the street and financially, etc. I like opinions on these things, that's why I ask. I don't know why you expect me to know fucking everything lol. But sure, sure it's probably a dumb question.

#8 ·
We went over this when you came here, looking to buy a 750. There is nothing I or anyone else can tell you that you haven't heard or can't read in the stickies in the "starting line" and a month or two in Winter on a 250 has not taught you nearly anything except maybe how to work on that bike. Plain and simply, you are trolling to get a rise out of members but you rose the wrong member, namely, a staff member with a bad attitude who wont stand for trolling.

#10 ·
We went over this when you came here, looking to buy a 750. There is nothing I or anyone else can't tell you that you haven't heard or can read in the stickies in the "starting line" and a month or two in Winter on a 250 has not taught you nearly anything except maybe how to work on that bike. Plain and simply, you are trolling to get a rise out of members but you rose the wrong member, namely, a staff member with a bad attitude who wont stand for trolling.

I aint done riding the 250 yet. I've been riding every day since I got my permit, in the ice, in the snow, in the rain, and in the cold. The whole thing about 750 was completely stupid, I was definetley a dumbass on that one and I admit that now looking back on that stupidity. No need to get so angry over a simple question. I'm not trolling. if I was trolling, I would have mentioned something about a twin turboed Hyabusa. Maybe you should work on the whole attitude thing I guess.

#11 ·
Yeah, no as I'm cranky, old and just don't care. Been down this road too many times to count and I'm done with it. You say you are not trolling but see, I say you are and I'm the one with powers. You know very well you are no where near ready nor the very minimal 10,000 miles before upgrading to a street legal race bike. As I've said 10,001 times, I started on a carbed EX500 and rode it for nearly 4 years, 32,000 miles my first year and 80,000 miles before getting a 750. This was in the dark ages before the internet yes, but not once did I feel the need to ask/get approval from anyone before going to a ZX-7 Ninja. I knew I was ready and that is all that mattered...that I knew I was ready to move up without question.

Do what you will and justify it anyway you must...you are not ready, not even in August will you be ready let alone March/April. Buy it and go to the Yammi site.

#13 ·
I'm looking to upgrade from my 250 to a 600 or even a 1000 by the end of March or April.
Ah shit my bad, so this here was not you then? I guess it confused me as it was buried in a bunch of other horseshit. What's best for street, a 600 or a 1000? Neither for you, 600 marginally better as it has less torque/horsepower and might actually trick you into thinking you have skill...till you find out you have no skills and crash and hurt/kill yourself and/or hurt/kill someone else. Bottom line, you are a new rider with no discernible skill who happens to be 16!!!!!!!!!! Wait till Spring/Summer and do some track schools and learn just how much you don't know and find out just how fun that 250 is, when you know how to truly ride it.

#14 · (Edited)
So just because I am 16 makes me some kind of second class citizen? my dad, who used to ride, followed me on my 250 and told me, not just to make me feel good, that i was doing extremely well. I have enough skill to ride my 250 safely and I am still building on that skill and will continue to build on it. You are trying to invalidate my skill and my knowledge just because of my age. Maybe if you saw me ride your opinion would change. I have been recording some of my rides and i'd be happpy to link you to my youtube channel so you can judge me even more. How about you forget my age, and my previous riding experience and answer my fucking question huh.

If you really want to see idgaf at this point

#15 ·
Whatever, you want to make it about your age which is only part of it than fine. As I said, do what you will, so 1000 is better for street or so I hear. Never ridden one, never felt the need for one as even my EX500 was enough to get my license yanked. 1000, more torque everywhere and don't need to shift as much. Personally I like shifting and with over 70 mph in 1st gear, plenty to get you a ticket. I hear the 1000 does over 100mph in 1st, so yeah, faster.

Thread locked.

#17 · (Edited)
Avoid the older R1s and R6s in my opinion. The GSX-R was a superior bike at that point in time. Factory steering damper, fuel injection, digital speedo, etc.... just look at all the tank slapper vids on YouTube and see how many are gixxers and how many are old R1/R6s. There is something about their geometry (and Yamaha formally acknowledged this) that makes them more prone to it. If you were looking at bikes from 08 and on, then most of what I said is negligible.

I went from a Ninja 250 to a GSX-R 600 to a GSX-R 1000 all in the same season. I am selling the 1000 now. It's just far too much. At least on the 600, which is only around 99 whp, I can still putz around on route 1 around the stadium and wring out the first two gears and have some fun. I can't do a god damn thing on the 1000. 8k RPMs in 1st has me at 65mph...and there is still another 6k left. The guy I bought the bike from was a track rider. I asked why he was getting rid of it and he said it's too much power. So I would heed the warnings associated with liter bikes...it really is just too much for someone that hasn't seriously pushed the limits of a 600 first.

#18 ·
Jesus Christ. I was expecting hilarious stuff considering your last thread, but this exceeds . Do you even know how to countersteer, yet? Do you know what to do when the rear end starts sliding out?
At your riding experience level, which is still so low it's pretty much equal to zero, the last thing you need to be concerned with is value of a bike when choosing between a 600 and a 1000. Riding for a few months does not give you any experience, even if it's in ice and snow. Especially when you're on a baby 250 that barely has the power to spin the wheels on black ice.

#20 ·
Oh, I didn't even see that you're only 16. Your riding looks fine man but the reality is you have very little experience on the road overall so it's essentially a case of not even knowing what to know if that makes any sense. You're in a good position with the Ninja 250 right now. I would consider a Ninja 500 or a SV650 or something alone those lines. Your age and inexperience is going to be your demise on a proper sport bike.

#22 ·
OP after watch your video I can safely say you are no where near ready for a 600 cc let alone a 1000 cc bike . Have you even taken a rider course yet .

Just a little advice. Don't stop so close to cars and don't stop directly behind them. Why did you stop in the middle of the road for the van that you complained about them being on the cell phone . You had the right of way . You set your self up to get creamed by a cager coming from behind you if they weren't paying attention. You need to learn how to counter steer and understand the fundamentals of it . You are not ( well actually you are ) looking where you want to go. You keep going to the outside of the curves way to early like your looking for the outside edge of the road to make sure you don't go off the road (target fixation).

I don't know what the laws are in MA. but if they are like NY laws, did you have a licensed rider within a mile of you or do you have a Motorcycle license already. I'm assuming you are on your permit. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Reactions: XBD and oldgixxer
#29 ·
That is true I did go down... the video about it was pretty inacurate as I didn't really remember much of the accident so I just guessed on what I think I did wrong. I know what i did for the most part and how I can prevent it in the future... also my clutch cable just broke today so i'm replacing it myself tomorrow... going to be a fun time.

#24 ·
My first bike is a 600. My best friends first bike (he was 16) was a 1k cbr. In my opinion. I'm glad I didn't get a 250. But I wouldn't ever go to a 1000.

If you want a 600. Get it. But dont underestimate the power. Respect the throttle and just stay on safe back roads until you get use to the sensitivity.

Now I can't comment on your skills due to the fact I'm from Louisiana and snow is just a myth haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 · (Edited)
Please do not take any of this advice :facepalm

Yeah,I saw he crashed too....maybe reality will now kick in and kid will realize winter riding with damn near zero riding experience is a very bad idea.

I have a feeling he will not be back....

Reactions: Jopy K1-1000
#26 ·
a lot of guys already stated that you are not ready for the 600cc and up. Don't take it the wrong way. Even I started on a 50cc moving up to 80cc, 250cc these were all 2stroke, 500cc and then 600cc to 1000cc 4stroke.
You'll know when your'e ready. Having a few slides will just ad to your experience.
going for a 600 can scare the crap out of you if can't tame the beast yet.
and a 1000 if you don't have a steady throttle control your front wheel will likely end up in the air.
So my advice is take your time go for a naked so you can improve your steering, again take your time.

#27 ·
Wait, you're 16? No wonder you're so petulant and think you're always right.
And you are a lesser citizen at 16, make no mistake about that. You cannot even vote, nor can you enlist in the military, so don't act like that's a surprise.

#34 ·
Didnt think id need to replace it, i checked it for fraying but it actually broke right at the lever so i couldnt see any damage until it snapped. Happened in the driveway and im fully prepared to lube and grease the new one. Its actually kind of fun to work on the bike, its not as scary as i thought

#36 ·
^^^I agree Sammy,I deleted mine as well.

#37 ·
50 degrees, while it's warmer than 20F, etc.

Still cold for tire temperature. If it was a tire traction/sliding out crash- it WAS part of the factor.

How long have you been on the 250 again? a few weeks?

#39 ·
You say you're short on cash, but at the same time want to drop at LEAST a couple stacks on a bike you're not ready for. There's so much to learn about riding. And not just bookworm type learning. You need to refine instincts, create muscle memory, learn proper technique until it's second nature. You should be able to react (correctly and accordingly) without thinking. No amount of YouTube videos, forums, or books will give you those tools. It comes from experience. You know guys take those 250s/300s to the track and walk guys on 600's right? You have plenty of motorcycle for your skill and experience level. You're 16 years old, you don't have enough experience on the road in general to be able to effectively anticipate the traffic around you. I didn't watch your video, but you complain about the guy in the van on a cell phone. It's not an excuse. If you woulda been smeared by him or the person behind you, "he was on his cell phone" ain't gunna heal your bones or fix your bike. You're in an excellent position to become a great rider in the future. Nobody gets great over night. If it were me, or if I were your dad, I'd suggest you keep the ninja until you graduate. Slowly save money and take some cash from your open house and buy exactly the bike you love. You will have the extra cash to get something that needs little to no work and you won't have to settle like u almost did with that turd of a bike u showed us when you first came here. I just don't understand why you want to jump to a Supersport after a couple of months on a ninja. Unless you're just trying to be the first kid to roll into school in the morning on a shiny, fast, loud death trap to impress the girl ur crushing on and all the students in the parking lot when u come rolling in, in neutral cracking the throttle for all the head turns.

#40 ·
I just don't understand why you want to jump to a Supersport after a couple of months on a ninja. Unless you're just trying to be the first kid to roll into school in the morning on a shiny, fast, loud death trap to impress the girl ur crushing on and all the students
He is all about that. He walks around his school with his gear on.

This thread is laughable. In non- GDC fashion, everyone has sugar coated and graciously tried to bestow wisdom. What the fuck is going on here?

Dude, you are 16. You are a child. You have much to learn about the world and especially the world of bikes. You are not ready for a supersport. You suck at riding. I watched your vids and just the fact you are riding with freaking snow around you shows that your pubescent brain doesn't comprehend the dangers of two wheels.

Ponder this young one... when you joined we all said you would crash, which you did. If we were right once, could we possibly be right about other topics?

#50 ·
My man, relax and ride your current bike for a while. You just crashed. Gain some skill and experience, save your money and come back and revisit the subject of a new bike. You are 16, there is no rush to jump on a new bike. I totally understand wanting to, I do it now but just take a breath and ride what you have for a while and get some miles under your belt.

Reactions: Carnage
#46 ·
What do you mean "dump money?"

Buying a clutch cable?

If you want a newer bike save your money and buy one around the time you graduate. It's a good time to do that while you're still living at home and life expenses are relatively low. That's exactly how I did it except that instead of and old 250 at 16 I had an old beat up Ninja 500. You're story is oddly familiar, right down to riding during the New England winters. [emoji38]

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

#47 ·
I'm still not seeing what is wrong with a decent running 250 at age 16?
Is it NOT fast enough for you? Do other classmates all have bigger bikes or something?
Will it not pull the boat trailer you want it to pull- so you need more power?
What, it won't power wheelie 3rd gear?

What?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.