Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Interested in a used GSX-R that never had its valves checked. Avoid or no big deal?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  airbornebaby 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm interested in a used 05 GSX-R. It has 22,000 miles but its valves have never been checked. I've read of engine issues developing when there's no signs or noise. I prefer to buy bikes that have been well maintained but can get this one at a really good deal. Any thoughts? I guess 7000 miles over the suggested 15K to check the valves isn't huge. I can give it a test run but I'd appreciate any advice on this. Got a few nice bikes I can get at a decent deal.

Thx!

#2 ·
I wouldn't be too worried about it. I had a K3 1000 that served as both a street and track bike, and didn't need a valve adjustment until 50k miles, and I beat the shit out of that bike. If you get the bike, you can check them yourself.

#4 ·
Is the bike running fine? It's probably no big deal. Come to think of it, I can't think of any case where someone brought their Gixxer in for the 14K miles service and found their valves out of wack. :dunno

#5 ·
Only on pure race bikes would you see something like that, and usually they drop a valve or three at about 7,000 miles, lol...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.