Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

shut off when hits 105 temp

879 views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  dpapavas 
#1 ·
Hi guys new to the site, i have a 2001 gsxr 600 i purchased it back last fall and we had a couple warmer days and i didnt realize it did this at first cause it would usually happen when i got home from a ride and it was idleing abit but basically today i had the bike idleing going over everything and it got up to 104-105c operating temp and the fans kicked on and the bike died.... Fired right back up after words and i let it get back up to 105 and again it died, i havent been able to find any other fourms or links on this issue any help would be very appreciated! Thanks.

#6 ·
I would be looking at the fan wiring for an issue...

The bike won't shut off due to temps until it hits 120°c.

Reactions: coopgt1
#8 ·
I'd say to check your battery and charging system as per manual for starters, at least the system voltage. Perhaps the added current draw of a properly functioning fan causes the stall.

The most likely problem though, would ne something along the lines of what Anthony is suggesting. The most simple test, would be to disconnect the fan, or the fan thermoswitch if there is one, and see if it'll still stall, taking care not to overheat the engine, of course.

#12 ·
Quick update i had the bike running and was had a multimeter on the battery, i held the rpms at 4000 and it was showing 12.31 v .. Assuming that its not charging ? Also unplugged the fan warmed it up to 106 and then plugged it back in and died right away, Went over all the connectors none of them had corrosion...

#13 ·
Quick update i had the bike running and was had a multimeter on the battery, i held the rpms at 4000 and it was showing 12.31 v .. Assuming that its not charging ?
It's definitely not charging, and your battery is probably pretty drained as well. At this point the best course of action would be to do all the tests mentioned for the stator and regulator/rectifier in the charging system inspection section of the service manual. Replace parts as needed (which probably means the r/r), recharge the battery on an external charger and and retest the charging voltage. It might also be a good idea to load test the battery.

#15 ·
The fan might be killing the engine solely because it draws a large current when it tries to start. If the available power is marginal, this draw might well cause the ignition, or fuel system to fail. Fix your charging system first and see what happens.

If you want to inspect the fan, there should be instructions in the service manual on how to check its current draw. Does turning on the high beam give you any trouble?

#17 ·
So i got the stator pulled off and the coils have a blue film on them and some are blue and some are a brown/black colour... Guessing shes toast ? And also noticed it was soaked in oil i talked to one guy and he says it shouldnt be and that i need a crank seal.. Ive been reading fourms and some say yes and some say no? And info would be great.

#18 ·
Post a picutre of the stator, but in any case, you should measure its resistance and output with a DMM, to ascertain its condition. If the insulation looks burned, that's usually not a good sign though. Regarding whether the stator is bathed in oil or not, I think it should be, but I'm no expert on engine internals, so hopefuly on of the more knowledgeable members will confirm that. Alternatively check out a youtube how-to video or two and see if there's oil there or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.