Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

2016 ZX-10R rwhp...

3K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  dLegend82 
#1 ·
So one of the roadrace tuners I know got a 2016 ZX-10R in for next year's race bike.

Made 167rwhp bone stock, due to the limits in place in the ecu.

Made 192 with a full Hindle exhaust and an ecu flash.

192 fucking rwhp with just an exhaust and ecu flash. No cams, no headwork, no race fuel.

Absolutely nuts.

I want one.

:punk

#7 ·
I think this will be Suzuki's demise if they don't come out with something groundbreaking.

#8 ·
I used to own a zx9r back in 98. Back then it was one of the fast bikes out but it didn't feel that sporty. One of the main reasons I switched to a gsxr750 and r1 was because they feel sporty. I love the gsxr1000 because it's the best all around...looks, performance and feel. For sure, the zx10r is fast but it looks kind of ugly IMO. Wondering if the zx10r handles like a capable track bike?

#9 ·
The ZX-10R is the best literbike out there for the track, hands down.

Reactions: dLegend82
#30 ·
For the price you pay, ZX10R has the best package right now. Now that I visit all local racing meets I realized just how much they are used for the liter classes. Basically CBR1000RRs and ZX10Rs dominate the scene.
Racers basically slap race glass on them and a QS and they have a decent race bike package to start from.
For the more professional riders, they remove/turn off the TC as it interferes too much apparently. I assume that their engines are mostly stock.

#14 ·
The RC213 was a cruel joke.

After owning my 2013 ZX10 for a few years, I'd never buy another liter class sportbike without the sophisticated traction control. When I bought the bike I figured "I'm turning that bullshit off" but after riding with it, I love it. I think Yamaha fucked up by making ABS standard, and I'm glad to see that Kawasaki didn't. I don't have it now and I don't want it.

The 2011+ ZX10 needs a few things to be truly track ready. The shock is a piece of crap. The front brakes are weak. It needs to be reflashed to euro-spec to let it breathe on the top end.

Most serious track riders are going to replace the shock, upgrade the brakes and get their bike tuned so I don't think any of that shit really matters. I never noticed any of those shortcomings on the street but they became obvious the first time I took it on the track. The 2016 has some bad ass front brake hardware, and its supposed to have a drastically improved shock and linkage. Everything needs a reflash to run worth a shit these days so that's a given. Sounds to me like it'll be a very potent package.

Team green is also putting up some serious contingency money for this coming season. $10k for a Moto America Superbike win

#17 ·
^ Got to try it before you buy it. I have not ridden the 2016 version but the 2015 was a fantastic bike even though most magazines said it lacked bottom end for street use. Im not saying I am a fantastic rider or better then them but I found it had was a great package.

I have been let down by Suzuki too many times to really get exited, but the new package looks optimistic.

#18 ·
I guess if your drag racing or top end racing. I spent some time on a 2015 ZX-10, nice bike but I still prefer my 2003 GSXR 1000. Better street bike, better throttle response and the two bikes actually seemed very similar in handling, although I did have the suspension on my K3 1000 rebuild with fork shock springs & internals.

#29 ·
At the start I felt similar about the throttle response but about 20km into the 200km ride, the bike transformed and it really worked well. Its like it adjusted the response. The whole ride it was set to Full mode.
I am about 6'3 and I think the zx10r was more ergonomic than my K4. I felt much more comfortable then on the gixxer.
All in all, for all the tech that it comes with, its a great deal, shame 2014 did not come with the QS but then again its not really necessary on the street.

#19 ·
Motorcycle magazine writers... :lol

Most of those Moto-Journalists (not all of them) are just writers that happen to know how to ride a motorcycle & wouldn't know a good handling sportbike from a Huffy nor do they know jack shit about set-up. They are way more concerned with coming up with a catchy phrase in their article to get a smile out of the editor than putting any type of information that is helpful or worth reading to the viewers.

Hell I remember a couple years ago on SpeedTV they had the Motorcyclist TV show & one of the "moto-journalists" smashed up a brand new GSXR750 right in front of the camera on a street ride cause he locked up the rear brake... Yup these are the kinds of riders I want telling me what is good & bad about the new bikes. Subsequently that same rider was killed tragically later that year in a motorcycle accident.

Anyway, If more people actually rode their bikes to gain experience instead of relying on the words of some magazine rag hack to make up their mind for them then they could come to the forums & speak intelligently on subjects like this.

#20 ·
Suzuki has been putting a lot of advertisement and hope into the new 1k. I'm really hoping the electronics function as smooth as its competition or there will be much disappointment...

Isn't this a common case with Suzuki though? They usually stay within their comfort zone, waiting for the other manufacturers to put out their product then wait a couple/few years and put out their rendition of it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been toying with the idea of pre-ordering the L7, but it might be one of those things where you want them to work out the bugs first then buy the year model after.

But if not, then it'll be GREAT.

Anyone else think the new headlight on the concept looks like a shrunken k3/k4 1k? It is all LED though which I like.

Also, the VVT slightly dumfounds me, this is new technology on motorcycles or no?

If Suzuki wasn't promising such a radical update, I would already be set on a new ZX-10R. I used to own an '07 and that bike was badass...only gives insight to how capable the new one is.

#21 ·
The Honda VFR used vvt a long time ago, so nothing truly groundbreaking there. I don't think it's been used in a Japanese supersport yet. I always wondered why it wasn't used on more motorcycles.

I'm always reluctant to buy the first model year. I know I'd be pissed if I was a 2015 R1 owner right now. A friend of mine bought one and has needed a reflash to stop the battery from going dead and now has to get the whole transmission rebuilt under warranty. :suicide

#25 ·
Same thoughts here on skipping the first model year of a new machine.
167hp on a stock bike no joke, but motorcycles are way behind cars in technology. They could make some real ridiculous power if they wanted to just using the tech that's already out there. When I bought my K2 I was shocked at how simple it's fuel injection was compared to cars of that time. That bike was like 1985 GM TPI :lol seriously, a fast idle switch? :spit

#32 ·
In what aspect?

#33 ·
Handling I suppose. I never was a fan of the way r1's and somewhat r6's handled, but I only rode models prior to 07. The older r1s werr kind of hesitant to steer and "flighty" at the same time, way more so than the k6 1k I rode right after

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

#34 ·
I'd think that all of those concerns could be addressed with simple geometry adjustments. Shim the shock, drop or raise the fork tubes, different tire profiles, etc.

The one thing that stands out between the two is that the R1 felt thinner around the tank/seat area compared to a ZX10. I own a 2013 ZX10 (same fuel tank as the 2016) and I've ridden a couple of 2015 R1s.

I'm not brand loyal. I think the R1m is a waste of money over the R1, but the 2016 R1 (if the trans issue has been fixed) and the new ZX10 would be my two top picks if I wanted a new liter bike today.

Regarding stock vs stock, I don't think it matters. Every bike I've ever owned has been modified in some way. Your intended use is what really matters, because some bikes work better than others for different riders doing different things.

For street riding, the rider is the biggest part of the equation. A skilled rider on an FZ07 or SV650 could ride circles around a shitty rider on an R1m. I've seen it happen. I've watched one of my friends hustle his Goldwing through a pack of sportbikes and supermotos on a twisty back road. I'm pretty sure that any modern 1000cc sport bike is capable of running at the front of the advanced group at track days if the rider is up to the task. Might take a pair of tires and some suspension adjustments at the most.

To summarize, there aren't any bad choices in the line up of sport bikes from the "Big 4" these days. They're all good bikes, all are much more capable than the average rider.

#36 ·
MSRP for the R1m is $21,990
MSRP for the R1 is $16,490
MSRP for the 2016 ZX10 is $14,999 plus $1,000 for ABS and another $300 for the "KRT version"

I hate ABS and I'd never pay a premium for it. It's standard on the R1, and the R1 costs more than the ZX10.

As for lap times on a 600 versus a 1000, both can be fast and I think it comes down to the riders skill level. Generally speaking, I think that more people race the 600s because they're not as hard on tires ($$$) and are easier to ride fast. Riding a liter bike on the track can be a challenge, they're heavier than the 600s and require better throttle control to keep from crashing. I'm not "fast" but I do OK. I like riding my 600 because it teaches me to be a better rider. Carrying momentum through corners, using strategy to make passes instead of whacking the throttle open down the straight, etc. My ZX10 has an 80hp advantage over my 600 but I still run similar lap times on both depending on the track. I think I'd go faster on a 750/636/675R but I'm having fun with what I have.

#37 ·
Riding a liter bike on the track can be a challenge, they're heavier than the 600s...
If you're talking about the crankshaft mass, literbikes most certainly do have heftier cranks...that's what can make them such a bitch in transitions. As for the overall motorcycle weights, they're really not all that heavier than their middleweight cousins.

#40 ·
If I was to buy a bike for close to $20k I would go for the BMW S1000RR or the R1. I like the look of the new BMW now as well.
I am sure the extra cash for the carbon fairings and electric suspension is justifiable on the R1M and they will sell a lot of them but for me it is not a necessity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.