Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Casey stoner signs for ducati

953 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  zzzgixxer 
#1 ·
CASEY Stoner will switch from Honda to Ducati as a MotoGP test rider from next year, it has just been confirmed.

The two-time world champion will return to the Italian factory team as test rider and ambassador, Ducati Corse said.

The announcement follows rumours of the 30-year-old returning to Ducati as test rider and potentially racing as a wildcard.

It comes immediately after an announcement from Honda Racing Corporation that Stoner is to leave the Japanese manufacturer after five years at the end of 2015.

The Australian won his first championship title with Ducati in 2007 before switching teams and securing his second title for Honda in 2011. He took the role of Honda test rider in 2013 after announcing his retirement from racing.

His new deal will see him take part in a selected number of MotoGP tests for the Ducati team next year.

He will also attend next year's World Ducati Week at Misano World Circuit in Italy from July 1-3.

Stoner said: ‘It’s been a great journey with HRC over the last five years, winning the World Championship in 2011 was obviously a high point and I've made many friends and formed lasting relationships along the way. For 2016 I am very excited to announce that I will again be joining the Ducati team! I have so many great memories working with the people and the brand of Ducati and the opportunity to work with them again is something very special. Gigi Dall'Igna has brought with him a new approach and I'm looking forward to assisting the team, Andrea Dovizioso and Andrea Iannone however I can. The Ducati brand and the Ducati fans have been such a big part of my career and my life, so it will be really great to reunite the relationship and start another chapter with this iconic brand.’

Ducati Motor Holding CEO Claudio Domenicali said: ‘Stoner has always remained in the hearts of all the Ducatisti and I am really pleased that he has decided to come back to our family. Casey has an extraordinary talent and with his experience he will be able to make an important contribution for Gigi and the two Andreas in the development of the Desmosedici MotoGP bike. His presence at WDW 2016 will be a special gift for all the Ducati fans and enthusiasts, who will finally have the opportunity to catch up once again with this great champion who brought the 2007 world title to Borgo Panigale and who won numerous GP races with the Desmosedici GP.’

Honda Racing Corporation Executive Vice President Shuhei Nakamoto said: ‘We have great memories of Casey’s time with Honda. From the moment he arrived in 2011 in the Repsol Honda Team we had a very close relationship and we always enjoyed speaking to him about racing and technical matters. Of course his Championship win in 2011 was a very special moment for us and a highlight of my career. Even after his racing days were over, I enjoyed attending his tests to take with him and spend time together. We would like to thank him for everything he gave to us over the past five years and send our best wishes to him and his family.’

Stoner secured 10 wins in 18 races on a Ducati Desmosedici GP in 2007, helping the manufacturer clinch the constructors’ title. Between 2007 and 2010, he won a total of 23 races for Ducati.

Read more: Casey Stoner leaves Honda and joins Ducati

See less See more
#7 ·
that is correct, let me fix my phrase....

Loris Capirossi came in third in the championship on the ducati back in 2006 or so...dont quite remember. and yes Ducati Won few races with Troy Bayliss and Capirossi.....but yeah Stoner won a crown...the ducati fit Stoner's riding style.

30+ years since Ducati won a championship before that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.