Why you should always wear gear; even if you Mr. Invincible. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Supersport

Motorcycle: ex650
Why you should always wear gear; even if you Mr. Invincible.

Well folks, it looks like it's that time again. I've seen so many people without gear who look at me like im an astronaut with all my gear on. And i've had a personal experience that might change some of your minds.

A good friend of mine, Tony, has had about 4 or 5 bikes. Totalled ALL of them. Never wore a helmet or any gear. He simply didn't believe in them.

Now you may be saying, what in the lord's name is wrong with this guy? He trashes a bunch of bikes, manages to survive and still won't wear gear? Yes.

In his last crash, on a gsx-r1000; he was going about 60 down a regular 45/50 two lane each way road. Something happend, he flew off of the bike, broke a few bones, got bad road rash, and flipped 6 or 7 times. The bike was NOT so lucky, it managed to continue flipping violently shedding pieces as it rocketed down the road steadily decreasing in speed, until it hit a truck, where it proceeded to come to a full stop.

Tony lost partial sight in one of his eyes, and had months of physical therapy. He is probably going to be on pain medication for the rest of his life, and the skin from the road rash is very sensitive, even a year later.

Recently, he bought a new CBR, and he bought a helmet and gear (neither of which he had worn before)... Well, last week, I caught him riding without gear. I asked him what the hell was wrong with him.

"Its 90 degrees out.. Too Hot"

Too hot? How bout that road rash last year? Did that feel hot?

People, this man is the luckiest person I have ever met in my entire life, but luck runs out. And 99% of people will NOT be this lucky. Many of us have lost people to motorcycle accidents, and more of us have lost people to accidents where gear is not involved.

Tony is going to get whats coming to him. He rides like a maniac occasionally, but with no gear, he could ride like my grandmother, it doesn't matter. You have a very good chance of death and serious injury with no gear. Those odds are GREATLY reduced with a little leather and a helmet.

Please people, GEAR GEAR GEAR.. Especially to the new guys getting on their first bike. Buy someone that you can afford to get gear with. It is the most important investment you will make in your new found hobby.

I'll say that again.

GEAR IS THE MOST IMPORTANT INVESTMENT YOU WILL EVER MAKE WITH REGARDS TO MOTORCYCLING.
Ad2mny and westsideJT like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 06:20 AM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R
Re: Why you should always wear gear; even if you Mr. Invincible.

Second that
post #3 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 07:37 AM
Jurassic Skool

Motorcycle: 86 GSX-R1100

I'll third that.

post #4 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Amateur

and to all the people who dont wear gear
post #5 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:13 AM
MG6
Supersport

Motorcycle: G6 01

agree
post #6 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: CLAY KUMLANGNGAM

JUST REMEMBER, SWEAT DRIES FASTER THAN WOUNDS AND BROKEN BONES HEAL AND WITH NO LONG TERM SIDE EFFECTS!!!!!!
steveo likes this.
post #7 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 03:55 AM
Expert

yeah, whenever people say "aren't you hot in all that gear?" I always tell them that it takes far less time to cool off than it does to heal road rash. I wear one piece full leathers with GP armor, gloves, full face snell helmet, boots. everytime I ride, even if it's a block away... If i'm just going to the store or to work... and riding "normal" I'll wear my textile leather patched pants, boots, gloves, helmet, and textile with leather patches jacket that ZIPPS to my pants. I feel a shitload safer in my full leathers, and thus take it slow in my textiles but hell I can't even imagine riding with no gear on. I see it all the time and I have no pitty for the "cool" kid with shorts, tank top, and sunglasses on. nuff said.
post #8 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 04:22 AM
Squid

Preach on my brothers, preach on.
post #9 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Superstock

Motorcycle: 2008 Triumph Speed Triple, 2006 SV650, 2005 GSXR 750, 2004 R6

No gear = No brains.
post #10 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Provisional Novice

i call my gear "my safety skin". i'd rather tear that up than what God has given me. anyways, i can always buy new leathers. you can't buy new skin. i have never experienced it but i would imagine that skin graphs hurt like a mother.
post #11 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 03:24 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: Dustin Mayer
Re: Why you should always wear gear; even if you Mr. Invinci

I just wanted to drop a line here. I'm new to bikes, so new that i don't own one yet. i don't know who to trust, or who to talk to about them, i stumbled here, and i am just getting familiar. i am a tablet, waiting for input about bikes, but the one thing i knew even before i started looking for one was to add about 1000 dollars to the cost for safety equipment. Helmet, gloves etc. What is disturbing is how leather is DISCOURAGED at my local shops. they all say "well, they are expensive, so you'd be ok in a mesh suit with pads. PADS, not armor??? COME ON, i am 250 lbs, pads cushion, but i'll disintigrate them in a matter of feet if i fell at sixty. A freind of mine is also going to start riding with me. He doesn't have a lot of cash, so i am prolly going to let him use mine to start on. (i mean, why wreck 2 bikes? i know mine's gonna get dropped, i hate to see him drop his). but i won't let him near it without equipment. I will prolly have to buy it for him, but i'd rather spend like 1000 on him that watch the guy die. Too many of my friends have already died from guns, drugs, etc.

in conclusion, from one newbie rider to anyone else, leathers, or i'll kick your sorry ass and break your left hand and right foot. (try riding then)
post #12 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Squid

Unfortunatly too many times guys wait till they get hurt to believe in gear. Dont be stupid make sure to get over the ankle boots., good jacket, good gloves (not ones that are going to tear apart if hit the ground at 10 mph) and a helmet. I laid down my bike and went through a wooden fence and tore up my legs pretty bad wish i had kevlar pants on as well. I had levi's but they shreded like cheese. Please ride safe
post #13 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:57 AM
Squid

I'm a newbie. No bike yet, and I am taking the MSF course in a few weeks. A GSX-R rider at a local bike shop told me he saw a guy go down at a high speed with a good jacket and pants on and only got rash on his side where his jacket rode up when he was sliding.
Where can I find jackets and pants that zip together around the waist? or what do you all recommend to wear? I dunno if I could handle a full suit, especially being a beginner. I'll have gear before I own a bike, though. That's for sure.
post #14 of 382 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 06:48 AM
Amateur

Location: ATLANTA, GA AND PLAINFIELD NJ.. BOTH ARE ON THE MAP(I THINK) LOL
Motorcycle: 2008 GIXXER 1000

yeah i believe in that u should wear gear... now me i was in an accident doing 25 mph when i was cut off and to save myself from flying threw this guys back window. i abrubtly pushed my back brake and the back came from under me... i slid about 25 ft into a park car head first... smasked the door and broke all the windows... got up dusted off and stopped my bike from spinning and said thank your LORD for letting me have on my gear.. helmet had a big chip in it.. now that was with out an helmet who knows what i would be doing now .. eatting out a straw or in a box burried
post #15 of 382 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Supersport

Motorcycle: ex650

Quote:
wjfawb0 said:
I'm a newbie. No bike yet, and I am taking the MSF course in a few weeks. A GSX-R rider at a local bike shop told me he saw a guy go down at a high speed with a good jacket and pants on and only got rash on his side where his jacket rode up when he was sliding.
Where can I find jackets and pants that zip together around the waist? or what do you all recommend to wear? I dunno if I could handle a full suit, especially being a beginner. I'll have gear before I own a bike, though. That's for sure.
The big deal with full suits is price. Check out some of the major manufacturers AT THE SHOP. Try the shit on first, as some brands may fit well, and some may not, just like helmets.

Awesome attitude though, getting gear along with your bike; if everyone had that much sense, the world would be better. Good job; and have fun at MSF, its awesome.
post #16 of 382 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 03 gsxr 1000

I have a leather jacket and i have a joe rocket phoenix type jacket and pants. i went down at 70 in my mesh pants and jacket and they didn't tear at all you could barley even tell that they went down so don't say that leather is your only option. it is a better option but in the summer in Arizona full leathers are too hot. I am looking in to some perforated leathers but until then i am sticking to the mesh.
post #17 of 382 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Squid

I know wearing my gear is the right thing to do, but sometimes it is just to damb hot. And yes, if i hit that pavement one day, it to will be hot. I guess i just hope that God is on my side the day i go down.
post #18 of 382 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Track Day Winner

im new to sport bikes, but i recently went down on my cruiser w/o my leathers on (because it was too hot) and seriously rashed my right arm,

so now i always wear gear ALWAYS even if its 105 degrees
post #19 of 382 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: jay0321

35 degrees in winter...120+ on the black top in summer, I have always worn gear.

Of course you get the squids riding around, like this chick I saw this weekend on an R6 (first bike) riding like a freaking retard with her boyfriend (R1)...daisy duke shorts, sandals, tube top and a skinny fucking pair of glasses that could not possibly block wind or bugs. The chicken strips on the tires were of course more toward center, threads showing on the R1.

She and her boyfriend pulled up to me and a couple of my buddies as we were refueling and drinking water and said "Damn man, you stupid or what? It's 85 degrees out here, you could dehydrate and pass out."

All I could do was shake my head...I told her that she will not be looking so sexy when she goes down and rashes her ass on the nice cheese grater/ no slip looking black top...this didn't even phase her.

All looks no brains.
post #20 of 382 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Squid

I remember I got into an argument on just debating to wear a helmet or not with my friend and some girls.

I was saying that I always wear a helmet and it could save your life,etc... But my friend and all the other girls around were like, our friends ride bikes and they say if they crash they want to die. Cause if you crash on your bike your most likely going to be paralyzed. And then I asked them the dumbfounded "huh??" question about how many people do they know died with their gear on and ohw many people died with out helmets when they were riding. I keep telling alot of my friends that its going to take a close friend to die on our bikes to learn for them to at least wear a god damn helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode