Why you should always wear gear; even if you Mr. Invincible. - Page 3 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 393 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 07:14 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: Corey Rastetter
Re: Why you should always wear gear; even if you Mr. Invinci

Quote:
Mojo1094 said:
in conclusion, from one newbie rider to anyone else, leathers, or i'll kick your sorry ass and break your left hand and right foot. (try riding then)
Ha! I don't need the clutch to shift and I don't use the rear brake! Your threatened injuries are backwards!

He's right - GET GEAR. I'd rather get hot than dead.

I'm glad you've seen the light prior to riding. Hopefully you were able to get yourself and your friend outfitted correctly. If not, check out the new Oxtar boots. They have some really awesome protection for less money than Sidi or Alpinestars. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 393 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Squid

Just another 2 cents: I've had 4 bike accidents already, and I would most probably be dead if I didn't wear a helmet!
1st one: down a twisty mountain road, entered a curve way too fast, lowsisded, lots of tumbles down the road, I was wearing a t-shirt, no gloves and no boots, but I had a full helmet. Result: severe road rash in all limbs and some chunks of meat were missing from me... bad ankle injury that will give me pain to the rest of my life. My helmet was all gashed and scraped, if it was my head I'd be dead or eating from a straw...
Lesson learned: from that day I ALWAYS wore a leather jacket, gloves and boots.

From the other accidents that followed, 1 by my fault, 2 others caused by stupid car drivers, no more road rashes, nor any major injury, no doubt because I was wearing gear.
The only marks I have in my body are from the 1st accident.

So, please, ALWAYS wear full gear!
If it's hot, stop more often, drink more water!
post #43 of 393 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Squid

I just wanted to share my experience that I had. I started riding a 250 ninja I bought in 1999. I didn't have any gear except a helmet. I was riding one day and was doing about 30 mph unfortunately I didn't notice the light had turned red because I was watching a car that was fixing to pull out in front of me. I DID have on a helmet thank god. But to make a long story short I ran the red light and came about two inches from rearending a pickup truck. Lucky for me I swerved to miss the truck and laid my bike down. I was skined up a bit but nothing seriously. I was wearing a pair of wranglers, gloves, helmet and long sleve shirt. I am still working on my new bike and am still looking for leathers. I just can't afford to spend a lot of money right now but I WILL NOT ride until I have either a good two piece suit OR a one piece suit which ever I find first.

post #44 of 393 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Squid

Re: Why you should always wear gear; even if you Mr. Invincible.

I agree with you 100% I wne down on my friends CBR 600RR and shreaded my Joe Rocket speedmaster. I was sore for a couple of days but would have been hospitalized if I didn't have on my skins (leathers). I try not to ride without them. Trust me, it is worth the ridicule. Wear that gear.
post #45 of 393 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Squid

i learned the lesson the hard way, on a pocket bike haha
i tipped it on some sandy gravel, and really tore up the skin above my elbow- ugly scar- and some on my knees and stuff nothing too bad but i looked really stupid getting that from a pocket bike

i just recently purchased an 03 600 - (i'm not a noob i've ridden a yamaha dirtbike for years and a friends 954rr)
and was wondering
- why the over the ankle boots?
post #46 of 393 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 12:01 AM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Quote:
GoPeder2000 said:

- why the over the ankle boots?
Shoes and below-ankle boots can be ripped off pretty easily, so no matter how durable it is it won't help much if it's 50 feet down the road...

They also protect the ankle, both from rash, impact and breaking
post #47 of 393 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 05:35 AM
Squid

hmm...1 piece racing leathers to go to the store is a bit excessive...how about you save yourself that grand and go to a school??
post #48 of 393 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 05:39 AM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Quote:
hmm...1 piece racing leathers to go to the store is a bit excessive...how about you save yourself that grand and go to a school??
Track school? Leathers are mandatory at most of those...

And IMO, you can crash just as hard on your way to the store - especially since you have cold tires...
post #49 of 393 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: Amy Robinson

yeah, i hear people all the time trying to use the excuse that if you crash you die either way...BS, and if i do die wearing a helmet at least my family will recognize me in the morgue. If not for yourself, think of the people that have to deal with the aftermath of your accident.
post #50 of 393 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 07:35 AM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Quote:
yeah, i hear people all the time trying to use the excuse that if you crash you die either way...BS,
As I wrote further up the thread: I should have died 7 or 8 times now...
post #51 of 393 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 05:45 AM
Track Day Winner

You'd think the whole gear topic is common sense... If you really value your well being, wear your gear.
During my bike course, there was a girl in my class who had never ridden before but she came with a proper set of gear. The poor girl dropped it twice over the weekend and she got right back up and started riding again. I don't think she would have been able to if she wasn't wearing her gear.

Always wear your gear and make sure it's the first thing you buy.
post #52 of 393 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 04 gixxer 600

had full gear 1pc leathers, x-eleven helmet, gloves and alpinestars boots. hit a boulder head first @50mph. broken neck in 3 places......
now i have titanium plate and rods in my neck, i'm still walking. i just bought a new x-eleven and waiting on my leathers.
i get pissed off when i see others that don't and obivously don't give 2shits about themselves just to look cool. i will never get on my bike again without my leathers......never!
post #53 of 393 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Amateur

I think when you have the gear on you look alot cooler you.. You have the whole biker boy thing going on.. I have a mesh jacket and I wear a leather jacket over that I dont have pants yet but getting them soom.. THe helmet thing its a law in my state so I have a full face I dont like big bugs at 60 plus mph..
post #54 of 393 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 02' gsxr 750

i agree with all...i have what you could say "A LEARNING EXPERIENCE" not wearing gear...almost lost a leg....now i wear it all...and so will new son
post #55 of 393 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 1 Wheel

I learned the hard way.

hot summer night, took off the gloves (still had the jacket on), and ended up goin down 5 min later. Scars dont look like they are goin anywhere.
post #56 of 393 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Squid

When I get a bike, I will be wearing FULL gear.
post #57 of 393 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 05:32 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: Dustin

should you wear bike pants, shoes all the times? I have not even ridden my bike yet because i need to get insurance and gear. So far i bought a helmet , textile jacket and gloves.....do i need to go out and buy pants and shoes also?
post #58 of 393 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Supersport

Motorcycle: ex650

Quote:
should you wear bike pants, shoes all the times? I have not even ridden my bike yet because i need to get insurance and gear. So far i bought a helmet , textile jacket and gloves.....do i need to go out and buy pants and shoes also?
I would wear something better than jeans. And as far as footwear goes, SOME kind of over-the-ankle protection, even if it is big ass leather boots, wear something that goes over your ankle and won't disintigrate after 5 seconds of 50mph pavement contact.

some riding boots are preferable, but do the best you can, it's YOUR skin, and you only get one shot with it, so I'd say shell out as much $ as you can afford on the best gear you can afford, but that's just me (and im poor as shit, )
post #59 of 393 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Amateur

I need to invest in gear. I will start another thread for my particular shopping needs if you all could help out

Though I have spent many summers on dirt bikes in my teen years street riding was different. My first street bike was some old ninja 250 or 500 or something. Had a half fairing deal that was green and orange homeade paint job lol. Anyhow, I was cruising 35 or so with one hand on the tank and the other on the throttle leaning forward. Rough spots in the road ahead, not holes but how the pavement gets like ripples in it from the heat in the summer. These were probably 2" ripples of sorts. Handlebars started wobbling and before I could get my left hand up the the bars I was down. I managed to slide a bit while sitting on the side of the bike but quickly went tumbling. Had a tank top, shorts and sandals on... yeah, STUPID and 17! Road rash on the arm and three large places on the back and hip. I still remember mamma helping me with nasty seeping bandages in the night. ouch! Time to get some gear.
post #60 of 393 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Squid

i've got a nice little story to add to this forum, a few years back i was a typical crazy country kid, i had dirt bikes and 4wheelers growing up.

when i went out and played hard i always had at least a helmet, if i was just goofing off or riding to my cousins house down the road i didnt see a need but usually wore it anyway.

my last bike was a 2000 yamaha blaster bought brand new in the winter of 99, the bike was my life for the 3 months i owned it, i spent every day riding most of the time beyond my abilities, crazy as i was but my helmet was always on.

one day i was out riding with a friend of mine, i had rode the area lot i knew what i was doing but i couldnt get anything right, i would take jumps and my feet would slip off the brake or i would miss and click the next gear, my front brakes went out ....just a horrible day over all so i decided it was time to go home and call it quits for the day, a half mile from my house as i crested a hill a dog that was almost as big as my bike ran out on the road, the buddy and I were side by side just cruising, as i recall i was in 2nd or 3rd gear quarter throttle probably about 30mph or so, when the dog ran out it turned back into the woods, rather than both of us going past this dog i decided to hot foot it past the dog my bike was quick no worries, as i grabbed a handful and clicked thru a couple gears my buddy had backed off his bike, my blaster was a 2stroke his was a 4 stroke with no muffler just a straight pipe.

the bike back fired violently scarring the dog back into the road, out of the corner of my eye i saw this dog turn, knowing my brakes were out i tried to outrun the dog i grabbed harder and clicked 6th gear the bike felt like it was winding out, i had been clocked a week earlier going uphill doing over 60 on this bike so i knew i could beat the dog, but beyond all reason this dog was keeping up with my bike, be it i was a gear lower or the dog was really scarred i dont know but he ran along side the bike for at least 100 feet in this span i had enough time to reach out and try to smack the dog in the head, i saw him turn and come at me and the last thing i recall is reaching for a second swing.

I woke up laying on my back in the ditch unaware of what had happened the wreck knocked the wind from me and apparently knocked me out, my shoes were gone my hand was bleeding as the palm of my hand had been ground down nicely, my left shoulder i would learn later had also taken a very deep road rash, it had rained that day and the ditch was soaked so now i'm cold, wet, its windy my shoes are gone and i've got this ache between my shoulder blades and at the back of my neck, well hard headed as i am i jump up and walk over to my bike, getting ready to give it a once over. I couldnt beleive i hadnt broke anything but my back felt horribly out of place and the only thing i could to to ease the pain was lay over the seat, my buddy showed up a minute later and i just stayed like that till the ambulance came out.

at the hospital i learned that i crushed a vertabra by 40% and blew 3 or 4 discs out completely, the doctors could find no trace anywhere in my x-rays of them at all, they decided the only course of action was surgery, at the time they thought i had messed up my neck as well because i had a huge bruise and serious swelling at the base of my skull turns out my helmet had shifted on impact digging the back of my helmet into my head. i now have 2 steel rods and 13 screws in my back, i have limited abilities to a degree, i can do about anything i want but working is limited because i cant do extended heavy lifting without severe muscle spasms and pain the day sometimes 2 or 3 after.

I know for a fact had i not had my helmet on, which was cracked in 2 places and the visor was long gone when i woke up, my head would of been about a foot shorter, had i been wearing my gloves i wouldnt of had my palms ripped to shreds, keep in mind this was at far less speed than most bikers see daily, my jeans however saved my legs pretty well and my long sleeve shirt did wonders, imagine how well leathers would have helped .

on a side note i am a bit larger than average i'm just under 6 foot and around 270 to 280 pounds, everyone says i look about 250 or so as my structure is remarkably large(thats straight from the doctors mouth not mine lol) my problem is where do you get leathers in an XXXL?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode