Why you should always wear gear; even if you Mr. Invincible. - Page 2 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 382 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 01:50 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2001 TL1000R
Re: Why you should always wear gear; even if you Mr. Invincible.

Some people will never learn...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 382 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Squid

i agree gear is the only way to go. just had my first low speed spill and if i wasn't wearing my helmet i would have alot more problems than this busted up collarbone. will post aftermath pics of "Rodogg's black beauty"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1256226-rodogg1.jpg (62.4 KB, 1028 views)
post #23 of 382 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Gavin J. Batiste

All it takes is that one time that you decide not to wear your gear...People would give me a hard time about wearing my gear during the summer in TX....I feel the same way...I at least ride with a Helmet, Jacket, Gloved, Jeans, and boot that protect the ankles..

I hate to hear about people that get seriously hurt and the don't have on any gear...I wish that they would just listen...Motorcycling has its risks...We just have to use Common Sense and spend a few extra $$$ to get some protection.

post #24 of 382 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Gavin J. Batiste
Re: Why you should always wear gear; even if you Mr. Invinci

Quote:
JoeyD said:
I remember I got into an argument on just debating to wear a helmet or not with my friend and some girls.

I was saying that I always wear a helmet and it could save your life,etc... But my friend and all the other girls around were like, our friends ride bikes and they say if they crash they want to die. Cause if you crash on your bike your most likely going to be paralyzed. And then I asked them the dumbfounded "huh??" question about how many people do they know died with their gear on and ohw many people died with out helmets when they were riding. I keep telling alot of my friends that its going to take a close friend to die on our bikes to learn for them to at least wear a god damn helmet.
Even if you don't die from the crash...you are more than likely will not survive from a severe head injury...
post #25 of 382 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Squid

im getting a GSX-R 600 or 750 as my frist bike(had experience with a 6r ninjia so not total noob but this is my frst owned bike) and i am buying what i think is the best but not the most expensive i am buying a FULL joe Rocket race suit(suit/gloves/boots and helmet) for $1,009.80 i want all the protection i can have and may also be purchasing extra upperbody armor with spine brace. my safety is the most important factor.
post #26 of 382 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: Andy Massengale

I totally agree!! Being the new guy, I read all of what is preached on this site and will not get on my bike without leathers, gloves and a helmet. I'm going to get leather pants and boots soon for added protection. NO GEAR = NO WAY!
post #27 of 382 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: tito

Yo i live im Miami and there are so many guys i see who think their bad #@!*$?% 's when they ride around without a helmet. I see them pass by and i think they are the biggest idiots. I gets real hot down here in the 305 but i make it a point to wear all my gear. I'm not going to lie and say that i have never ridden without full gear but i do now. Many times guys want to look cool and they think if other riders see them without gear that they will think that they are awesome riders. The truth is, i don't care if your Mat Mladin (well maybe i took it too far, lol), you can go down anywhere because the street is so unpredictable... It's not the track! The stupidest guys i've seen are those who ride without a helmet yet they have a helmet hanging over the rear of the bike for decoration. I even see some guys around here who don't wear shirts when they ride. Poor souls, i wish them a lot of good luck. Especially with the way people drive here in miami. JUST MY 2 CENTS.
post #28 of 382 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: tito

i use a mesh jacket now and it cools you off real well when you ride. Keep the gear on boys.
post #29 of 382 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Squid

Gear Up - You goit that right!
post #30 of 382 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 07:51 PM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Quote:
JoeyD said:
I remember I got into an argument on just debating to wear a helmet or not with my friend and some girls.

I was saying that I always wear a helmet and it could save your life,etc... But my friend and all the other girls around were like, our friends ride bikes and they say if they crash they want to die. Cause if you crash on your bike your most likely going to be paralyzed. And then I asked them the dumbfounded "huh??" question about how many people do they know died with their gear on and ohw many people died with out helmets when they were riding. I keep telling alot of my friends that its going to take a close friend to die on our bikes to learn for them to at least wear a god damn helmet.
Dumbasses... I've crashed plenty of times (7 or 8), have worn full gear every time and the worst injury I've gotten was a concussion... Never had road rash or broken anything...
post #31 of 382 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Amateur

My very hot and dorky looking leather Suzuki Jacket saved the skin on my right fore arm..
post #32 of 382 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Amateur

I wear mostly full gear, ( although I do wear the Joe Rocket Atomic Jeans and the stunt shoes with overankle protection) but I don't know how you guys say full gear seems dorky?

Everyone I've talked to thinks full gear looks awesome, (it's just like on TV haha) , they think no gear looks like you couldn't afford gear around here (cleveland, ohio)

Basically... if you wear gear you are either hardcore or stunt , if you dont' wear gear you're poor (to the people around here)
post #33 of 382 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Amateur

I have spent two years being underdressed. But no more. I order my one-piece Aerostich tomorrow. I agree, Rev. Intrigue, you can beat the odds only so long. All it takes is one (sometimes relatively insignificant) crash to change your life forever.
post #34 of 382 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Amateur

I witnessed and accident last year between a Harley and a car. The Harley rider was wearing boots, Levis, short-sleeve t-shirt, and a shell-type helmet. His ony injuries were the road-rash to his forearms and a gash above his left eye. If this guy would have been wearing even a long-sleeve sweatshift and a full-face helmet he would have survivied this with nothing more than some bruises.
post #35 of 382 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:33 AM
Track Day Winner

It is VERY rare here in my town to see ANYONE with gear on. I'm just as guilty as the next guy with not wearing gear all the time. You'll always have people who make up outlandish excuses as to why they won't wear gear. I even had a guy tell me that he can't wear a helmet, cuz the chicks won't be able to see him and he won't be able to pick up a chick that can't see him. I didn't really know what to say. I ordered a mirrored visor this morning, so I will finally not have to smash my sunglasses in with all the padding in my helmet during the day! Just have to switch out to the clear visor for night. I've got the Joe Rocket Pheonix 3 jacket so in the summer, just take the liner out and when yo ustart moving you get a lot of air circulation thru the jacket. But then there are always the unfortunate accidents that people with full gear on get hurt too. A buddy of the group we ride with was coming into town on one of the busier thru town highways with a 55 mph speed limit and a minivan pulled out right in front of him, and he didn't have much time to hit the brakes or anything.
post #36 of 382 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 03:12 AM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Quote:
04gix600 said:
But then there are always the unfortunate accidents that people with full gear on get hurt too. A buddy of the group we ride with was coming into town on one of the busier thru town highways with a 55 mph speed limit and a minivan pulled out right in front of him, and he didn't have much time to hit the brakes or anything.
No matter what, in the vast majority of accidents gear WILL limit injuries... Yeah, you can still get killed with gear but you help your luck a lot
post #37 of 382 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Superstock

Motorcycle: 2008 Triumph Speed Triple, 2006 SV650, 2005 GSXR 750, 2004 R6

Quote:
04gix600 said:
I even had a guy tell me that he can't wear a helmet, cuz the chicks won't be able to see him and he won't be able to pick up a chick that can't see him. I didn't really know what to say.
What a TOOL! He's gonna look really hot to those chicks when his brain is a permanent part of the road. I bet he wears a wife beater to show off his huge muscles too.
post #38 of 382 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
SVS said:
Quote:
04gix600 said:
But then there are always the unfortunate accidents that people with full gear on get hurt too. A buddy of the group we ride with was coming into town on one of the busier thru town highways with a 55 mph speed limit and a minivan pulled out right in front of him, and he didn't have much time to hit the brakes or anything.
No matter what, in the vast majority of accidents gear WILL limit injuries... Yeah, you can still get killed with gear but you help your luck a lot
Yeah. That was just a freak accident type thing, but it was an excuse I had heard from the riders who DIDN'T know the guy who died. After he died, I noticed a LOT more riders in our group start to wear their brain-buckets a little more than they used to. Now if we could just get the cagers to quit acting like total retards while they're on the road, we'd be set. I saw a guy the other morning on my way to work (I was in my car not on the bike) reading a freakin newspaper driving down the road!!! He had the sports section all opened up laying on the steering wheel, and every once in a while, he would peek up over the top of the paper to look at the road.
post #39 of 382 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:08 AM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Quote:
04gix600 said:
Quote:
SVS said:
Quote:
04gix600 said:
Yeah. That was just a freak accident type thing, but it was an excuse I had heard from the riders who DIDN'T know the guy who died. After he died, I noticed a LOT more riders in our group start to wear their brain-buckets a little more than they used to. Now if we could just get the cagers to quit acting like total retards while they're on the road, we'd be set. I saw a guy the other morning on my way to work (I was in my car not on the bike) reading a freakin newspaper driving down the road!!! He had the sports section all opened up laying on the steering wheel, and every once in a while, he would peek up over the top of the paper to look at the road.
Dumbass - probably shaving too...
post #40 of 382 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Track Day Winner

When I used to have to walk to the bus stop for school, I would almost get hit at least twice a month by people not paying attention. Chicks putting on their make-up, guys shaving, I even saw some guy brushing his teeth and shaving at the same time, while driving down the road. Seeing stuff like that always comes to mind when I'm getting ready to leave the house for a ride around town on the bike. Good way to remind myself about my gear though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode