Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Commuting to Work or School on your Bike.

2K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  gixx1000 
#1 ·
Saw a guy on the Interstate today with the cool Carbon backpack. Got us thinking.

For those who use their bike as primary transportation.... Yes some of us don't have cars.

Do you carry a back pack ? Tank Bag ? or just walk around in our boots and gear all day.

What do you guys use to carry your daily essentials... lunch, sneakers, laptop etc?

#3 ·
When I ride to work, I use a Joe Rocket tank bag to carry my phone and other small stuff. I have an office with a closet & a bathroom so I can change from riding gear to
one of my suits.

#5 ·
I use a laptop backpack that my dad was throwing away, fits nice and works good for putting my shoes, water and whatever else I need while riding then I can put all my leathers in it after i get where I'm going. When I get to work or wherever I've got a backpack full of leathers next to my lid and boots. The only time I notice it is when I take my hands off the bars sit up and stretch out. I really would like an Ogio no drag backpack but, at over $100 it just keeps getting pushed down the list of wants.

#6 ·
I used to commute to work and school on the bike. I didn't have a tankbag then, just a regular bookbag to hold a couple books or my laptop. School didn't have anywhere to stow my gear, so I sat my helmet next to my desk and hung my jacket on the chair, just kept the boots and pants on.

At my job I could just leave clothes and regular shoes there and change and store my gear in the back room while I worked.

#7 ·
So far I've regularly commuted for a couple years with a Sling Backpack from Academy... It has worked really well but has seen better days and isn't weather proof at all. Would love to get Some Kriega Stuff but it's a little too pricey, so I'll probably be picking up the RS Taichi weather proof backpack soon!

#8 ·
Since 3 years I've only had my bike and took it everywhere.

Still in college for another semester and then I hope I can buy a small cheap car just to get around on the rainy days.

I have a huge backpack I can load up to 25lbs of stuff in. A magnetic tank bag 4L/1 Gallon of volume where I fit shoes, jeans, 2shirts and a bottle of water in.
Under my passenger seat I can fit a sweater, scarf and another bottle of watr beside the toolkit.

All in all I can pack a good 35lbs of extra luggage for short trips.

In school I need a locker so I can change out of my 2pc leather suit into some jeans. Some days I leave the SMX-Plus boots on (people think they're ski boots) and if I just got a 2hr class and wanna hit the road asap, I leave my full gear on and hang the jacket over the chair. Helmet always on the table (only 5 lockers out of 4000 are wide enough for my small Shoei).

I don't mind the stares and looks I get, I just walk with pride and don't care or maybe greet them if they still eyeball me after a minute of walking towards each other.

I got problems when I changed out of my leathers incl. boots and have to carry it down the hallway to my locker. Really heavy in my hands/arms if I didn't already leave some stuff at the locker first and only have pants and backpack left to carry.

I won't miss the days of having to change in and out of leathers. Riding in jeans always spoils my ride! I can't stand it.

Once I forgot my smx-5 boots in the washroom and didn't notice it until 3hrs later when I changed back. They were gone for good. Problem was, I was wearing black high heel boots and tights that day. Couldn't ride back in those, so I was riding in full gear on heels. I should've taken pictures of that. I tried not to let anyone notice, was quite the embarrassment.

#9 ·
I pretty much have a similar setup, and generally I walk around all day in my SMX-5's at work. There are several riders in the offices here, so even with the suits or nice shirts, they still get it.

I rarely get strange looks, and when I do I feel pride as well... in fact the only time I feel odd is if I'm not in any sort of gear, and I see another guy on a nice bike go into the grocery store, or wherever I'm at... I wanna throw a wave and be like wassup but that just doesn't work when I look like every other cager. lol.

:cheers

#15 ·
I kept a pair of shoes at work to change into. I didn't have a job that required me to dress in a suit. just jeans and a polo at most.
Also used a laptop backpack and tail bag that was removable.

#16 ·
Kreiga R35 backpack...

#17 ·
If it doesn't fit in the tail of my K3 I have a tank bag I through stuff into . :cheers

#18 ·
I use a Knox K-Pack backpack.

I always take:
Tire Gauge
Registration
BMW Tire Repair kit
Work Clothes
Headphones ( I have a good pair of Sennheisers that I use at home and work )
On days where it may rain, my rain gear.

#20 ·
I use this backpack if I need to carry anything other than my phone and wallet. I love it, it has been all over the world with me, Europe, the middle east, everywhere. I have had it for years and I wear it to work everyday. If anything happens to it I will buy another one. :thumbup

FEATURES:

Capacity: 32.5L/ 2000 cu in
Dual density back panel
S-curved shoulder straps
Zip outside organizer pocket/side storage pockets
Padded computer case
Padded cell phone/MP3 pocket
Padded CD/sunglasses pocket
Light reflective logo
Fabric: Polyester
Torso fit range: 16"-21"
Dimensions: 21" x 13" x 9"
Weight: 2 lbs 6 oz
Marmot

Attachments

#21 ·
I use just a normal Adidas backpack for everyday riding, I use to use a Hurley backpack but it saved my back last year and unfortunetly is no longer useable. Looking to get either a USMC or ACU/MultiCam Molle 3-day to use on a daily basis as it'd be more sturdy and reliable.

Always the following items:
Lunch
Cell Phone
iPod
headphones
tire gauge
allan key set
craftsman screwdriver
extra earplugs
Work stuff
ect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.