Winterzing Your Bike - Page 3 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 PM
I Heart Man Sauce
 
Jd4oor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Youngstown OH
Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R 1000 2007 GSX-R 600
Posts: 6,488
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Use an oily rag, one of the plugs designed for that or nothing.
Jd4oor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
!ThatGuy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,974
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

if i disconnect my battery and bring it inside, obviously my power commander, ignition module and quick shifter will lose all power. Will this reset them to factory settings and lose my maps? The bike came without the custom maps so I cant just re-install them unfortunately.
!ThatGuy! is offline  
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Serial Comma Rapist Admin
 
Moto_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Macon Ga
Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Posts: 117,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
if i disconnect my battery and bring it inside, obviously my power commander, ignition module and quick shifter will lose all power. Will this reset them to factory settings and lose my maps? The bike came without the custom maps so I cant just re-install them unfortunately.
No.

But it is a good idea to back up your maps.

All you need is dl the software and then hook up with a mini USB. It is pretty easy.
Moto_Joe is offline  
post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
!ThatGuy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,974
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
No.

But it is a good idea to back up your maps.

All you need is dl the software and then hook up with a mini USB. It is pretty easy.
ah good to know. ill be ordering a cable today. lol
!ThatGuy! is offline  
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Serial Comma Rapist Admin
 
Moto_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Macon Ga
Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Posts: 117,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
ah good to know. ill be ordering a cable today. lol
Just go to walmart/radio shack/ any store that sells electronics. It is just a standard mini USB.
Moto_Joe is offline  
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
!ThatGuy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,974
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
Just go to walmart/radio shack/ any store that sells electronics. It is just a standard mini USB.
oh it doesnt have to be a PCIII specific mini USB cable? awesome.
!ThatGuy! is offline  
post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
!ThatGuy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,974
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

For me to do:
wash thoroughly
replace/fix bent bits
anti-freeze
fuel stabilizer
fill oil to cap
clean/lube chain
clean/recharge air filter
change spark plugs (maybe, not all that mechanically savvy)
rebuild calipers
bleed brakes
check lines for cracks
plug exhaust and ram air tubes
battery tender

For shop to do:
change spark plugs
check valve clearances
Fix quick shifter
Dyno bike and have custom maps

Yes/No?
Steering stems?
Wheel bearings?
What needs lubed?

Missing anything important to have the bike ready for 2014 race season?
!ThatGuy! is offline  
post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 03:43 PM
hand-eye coordinator
 
MacBayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton AB
Motorcycle: K6-600
Posts: 5,446
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
For me to do:
wash thoroughly
replace/fix bent bits
anti-freeze
fuel stabilizer
fill oil to cap
clean/lube chain
clean/recharge air filter
change spark plugs (maybe, not all that mechanically savvy)
rebuild calipers
bleed brakes
check lines for cracks
plug exhaust and ram air tubes
battery tender

For shop to do:
change spark plugs
check valve clearances
Fix quick shifter
Dyno bike and have custom maps

Yes/No?
Steering stems?
Wheel bearings?
What needs lubed?

Missing anything important to have the bike ready for 2014 race season?
none of that, except washing the bike, has anything to do with winterization. it is all dewinterization/ start season maintenance.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
MacBayne is offline  
post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
!ThatGuy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,974
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
none of that, except washing the bike, has anything to do with winterization. it is all dewinterization/ start season maintenance.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
fuck me

i think there's a few more, but I get your point. LOL
!ThatGuy! is offline  
post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Want's to see grandma's Snapper....
 
Ironhead401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 12,006
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Well the fuel stabilizer, fill oil to cap, battery tender and plugging exhaust and ram tubes are winterizing things.
Ironhead401 is offline  
post #51 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Rookie
 
Jixxer89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA
Motorcycle: 2013 GSXR 1000 1 millionth edition
Posts: 466
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead401 View Post
Well the fuel stabilizer, fill oil to cap, battery tender and plugging exhaust and ram tubes are winterizing things.
Why do you fill the oil up to the cap?

Never heard of doing this?

I like to start mine every 2-3 weeks over the winter.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Jixxer89 is offline  
post #52 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Both OG&I admitted we were wrong on 5/13/15
 
Samantha750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Republic of Texas
Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM
Posts: 11,281
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixxer89 View Post
I like to start mine every 2-3 weeks over the winter.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Don't do that! Winterize your bike and leave it be till it's time to ride.
Samantha750 is offline  
post #53 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Rookie
 
Jixxer89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA
Motorcycle: 2013 GSXR 1000 1 millionth edition
Posts: 466
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha750 View Post
Don't do that! Winterize your bike and leave it be till it's time to ride.
Why is that bad?


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Jixxer89 is offline  
post #54 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Both OG&I admitted we were wrong on 5/13/15
 
Samantha750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Republic of Texas
Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM
Posts: 11,281
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

It leads to condensation/more condensation and discharges the battery.
Samantha750 is offline  
post #55 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Rookie
 
Jixxer89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA
Motorcycle: 2013 GSXR 1000 1 millionth edition
Posts: 466
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha750 View Post
It leads to condensation/more condensation and discharges the battery.
Got ya. So you'll you also suggest filling the oil up all the way too?

I'm asking cause I've honestly never heard of this. Any help would be appreciated.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Jixxer89 is offline  
post #56 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Want's to see grandma's Snapper....
 
Ironhead401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 12,006
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixxer89 View Post
Got ya. So you'll you also suggest filling the oil up all the way too?

I'm asking cause I've honestly never heard of this. Any help would be appreciated.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yes, it keeps condensation out. And like sam mentioned, don't start it periodically like that. It only contributes to the condensation. What I do is drain the old oil and refill all the way up with cheap oil. I don't change the oil filter. Then in the spring, dump the oil, change the filter and you're good to go.
Ironhead401 is offline  
post #57 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Rookie
 
Jixxer89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA
Motorcycle: 2013 GSXR 1000 1 millionth edition
Posts: 466
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead401 View Post
Yes, it keeps condensation out. And like sam mentioned, don't start it periodically like that. It only contributes to the condensation. What I do is drain the old oil and refill all the way up with cheap oil. I don't change the oil filter. Then in the spring, dump the oil, change the filter and you're good to go.
Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to do that.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Jixxer89 is offline  
post #58 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:24 PM
He Who Touches Himself
 
Bagherra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Va. Beach!!
Motorcycle: 2K2 GSXR750 Y&B, 2006 GSXR1000 R&B
Posts: 6,613
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

I've heard that filling the oil to the cap will keep the plates from sticking together...
Bagherra is offline  
post #59 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Rookie
 
Jixxer89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA
Motorcycle: 2013 GSXR 1000 1 millionth edition
Posts: 466
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagherra View Post
I've heard that filling the oil to the cap will keep the plates from sticking together...
I'm assuming that's a bad thing? I've never heard of it. Makes sense to keep out moisture though.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Jixxer89 is offline  
post #60 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 PM
hand-eye coordinator
 
MacBayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton AB
Motorcycle: K6-600
Posts: 5,446
Re: Winterzing Your Bike

according to the manual, putting oil to the filler cap is for extended periods of storage. a normal winter is not a prolonged storage. will it hurt? no. is it called for? no.
MacBayne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome