Hi everybody! This is my first post. I'm having some trouble with my charging system, and any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Bike: 2006 GSXR 600
I was riding through traffic for about 30 mins yesterday and the bike got up to about 220-225 degF (It was about 90degF outside at that time). Fan turned on and stayed on pretty much the whole time. I stopped at the post office and shut the engine off for about a minute. When I went to crank the engine, it was still really hot(220's) and it struggled to turn over (like a low battery). So I push started it and was on my way (but still in traffic). I got to the next place and shut the engine off. I tried to turn it back on (just to see if it would). And it still struggled to turn over. So I tried to push start it again, but I couldn't get it to start. So I waited for about 30-45 minutes to let it cool down, and I was then able to push start it. (battery still couldn't start it). So then I headed home. I was able to get some air on the way home and the coolant temp cooled down to the 180's or 190's. I got home and turned the bike off. I turned it back on, and this time it started fine.
I pulled out the mulitimeter to test the battery. The battery read 11.36 volts. This is obviously low, but apparently enough to start the engine.
With the engine started, I revved it to about 5K rpm and the battery read 11.7 volts. Which is too low for the charging voltage.
So I think my battery is fine, but my charging system is faulty.
That was yesterday. Today, I decided to trouble shoot.
I followed the manual: I checked for current leaks, there were none.
I then pulled the tank and air box and got to the three yellow wires for the generator. The resistance across all the terminals was within spec. Then I did the "generator no load performance" test. Manual says you should get 65 Volts AC from the generator at 5K rpm. I think I maxed out around 40 Volts AC. This is the test I am talking about
Then, I used the diode test feature on my multimeter to test the rectifier. I followed the chart in the suzuki manual. Of the 42 possible test combinations, 40 of them were in spec, and 2 of them read 0 voltage when they should have been between 0.4-0.7 volts. I circled them in red in the following picture:
So basically, I suspect the generator may be bad. Do you think that I could have burned up the stator since the engine stayed so hot for 45 minutes to an hour or so?
And since two of the diode tests were out of spec (0 volts when they should have been 0.4-0.7 volts), do you think that this might mean my rectifier is bad as well?
Also, my coolant reservoir was empty and the level inside the radiator was a little bit low. I added about 16 ounces of coolant, and it is now at the full mark. Being half a quart low coolant quite possibly may be a contributing factor to why everything was so hot for so long.
Anyway, what do you guys think about the generator and the regulator/rectifier? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!