Valve noise? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Valve noise?

I have a 2013 gsxr 750 w/ 14k miles, manual cct and aftermarket header. Lately I've noticed a ticking, that has been getting worse over time. It used to just tick at idle, once i took off it went away. Now it still tick as i pull off up until 5k, after that i can't hear it over the intake noise. I've also noticed that once I let off throttle to engine brake it goes away and starts again when on throttle. That's the part that get me, why does it go away off throttle? Valve lash, adjust cct?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Edit, the reason I mentioned header was I've heard you can hear valves more with aftermarket headers. Also the ecu had a crazy tune (advanced timing 12 degrees) and I've hear it detonate a few times before I had the ecu reflashed 8k miles ago or so.

Last edited by sketty20; 04-28-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000
Re: Valve noise?

All you can do is adjust what you can.
Check exhaust flanges at head for loose bolts and near collector.
You could pull valve cover and check cam chain slack as well as valve adjustment while you're there.

Keep in mind a tick and a knock are two different things.
I just saw another thread from last year where you were installing a manual tensioner. Did you install the manual tensioner?
If so, that's the first place I'd look after exh. flanges. Might be loose cam chain. Chains do stretch over time and if a manual tensioner was too tight initially, it'll stretch even more.

Last edited by Geesxara; 04-28-2017 at 02:28 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:51 PM
Amateur

Garage

Aftermarket headers tells me you could also have a leaky exhaust gasket that has gotten worse after time. Although I would also start with the cam chain and tensioner

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:01 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

I'm gonna guess that it's an exhaust leak, but when was the last time you checked your valve clearance and that the tensioner was still properly set?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:16 AM
Squid

What's the interval check of the valves?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:25 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

+1 for the exhaust leak theory, as it would explain why it goes away off-throttle. On the other hand, I'd expect a valve tick to get relatively more pronounced under no-throttle operation, as its volume would stay the same, but the induction and exhaust noise drowning it out would subside.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Squid

Good point!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I've checked valve lash, all were within spec. Can't tell you exact numbers because we check min and max only. Adjusted cct and no help. Re torqued exhaust bolts no help. The tick is def more pronounced from left side of engine. It's keeps getting louder and seems more like an exhaust leak to me... gonna pull exhaust and check/replace gaskets.

Now here is a question I've gotten many different answers to. Which way do the exhaust gaskets face? With the little tabs in on or out? Asked many people and there is no clear winner 50/50 on which way. So... maybe I put the in backwards and now one leaks?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketty20 View Post
I've checked valve lash, all were within spec. Can't tell you exact numbers because we check min and max only. Adjusted cct and no help. Re torqued exhaust bolts no help. The tick is def more pronounced from left side of engine. It's keeps getting louder and seems more like an exhaust leak to me... gonna pull exhaust and check/replace gaskets.

Now here is a question I've gotten many different answers to. Which way do the exhaust gaskets face? With the little tabs in on or out? Asked many people and there is no clear winner 50/50 on which way. So... maybe I put the in backwards and now one leaks?
I always put the little tabs towards the head, they fold slightly when forced in and lock the gasket into the port. But either way shouldnt matter as far as sealing goes.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

See I'm pretty sure I put the facing away from head as they lined up with the "ring" around the gasket seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode