Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Few different things going on: k8 GSX-R600

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  dpapavas 
#1 ·
Hey guys!
Question 1)
So last night I finally got a marble to plug my pair valve, but while I was removing the air box I saw liquid specs and coat on top of the airbox. I open it up and on top of the airbox by the throttle bodies is gas residue,
there is also residue on the throttle body ports but only 2-4

I have read this could be caused by too much oil? I just changed the oil 2 days ago, I put in 3 full quarts of Mobil 1 4T 10w-40 oil, normally I only put about 2.6 - 2.8 but It drained for like 4 days so i figured Id add some more, the oil is also already black and is a little above the Full line.

Question 2)
So after noticing all of question 1 I inspected my fuel injectors and noticed one of the top first injectors had gas residue. It happens to be the one with no gas residue in the port.

Could the seal go bad? or what different things could cause this?

Question 3) So my throttle body butterflys are looking different and idk if this is normal wear or whats going on, you will see like rectangle lines on them that is a different shade of material, ill post a picture of them,

Question 4) (Last one sorry)
Iv been having random lose of power when at cruising rpms and speeds, the power just kicks off even though throttle hand stays the same then bam just kicks back in random, now this doesnt effect me to much i always ride 10k above normally but when im not its very frustrating and almost through me off bike other day because it happened over a bump.

I have read O2 sensor, and also set-valve which I have both on my bike, by removing both of these should fix the problem or should i be looking at something different?

Cheers! Jay

photo links in one: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

See less See more
#2 ·
So last night I finally got a marble to plug my pair valve, but while I was removing the air box I saw liquid specs and coat on top of the airbox. I open it up and on top of the airbox by the throttle bodies is gas residue,

I have read this could be caused by too much oil? I just changed the oil 2 days ago, I put in 3 full quarts of Mobil 1 4T 10w-40 oil, normally I only put about 2.6 - 2.8 but It drained for like 4 days so i figured Id add some more, the oil is also already black and is a little above the Full line.
Are you sure it's gas and not oil? Just asking because gas is pretty volatile and I'd expect it to have evaporated by the time you took the airbox apart. It also does look a bit oily in the photos. Might there be a separate filter for the crankcase vent hose, that you're perhaps missing? There is one on my K4, but I don't see anything for you model in the parts diagram. In any case, if it's oil, it would be from the crankcase and overfilling would make it worse, so you should make sure that you have the proper amount of oil, measured as described in the service manual (by sight, not by volume).

So after noticing all of question 1 I inspected my fuel injectors and noticed one of the top first injectors had gas residue. It happens to be the one with no gas residue in the port.
Again, make sure it's not oil before you troubleshoot further. If it's the same substance, as found in the airbox, inspect the area of the airbox directly above the injector, to make sure it hasn't just leaked from the airbox onto the injector.

So my throttle body butterflys are looking different and idk if this is normal wear or whats going on, you will see like rectangle lines on them that is a different shade of material, ill post a picture of them,
I have no idea about that, but I'll venture a guess and say it's normal, and part of the machining process. Others will probably know more.

Iv been having random lose of power when at cruising rpms and speeds, the power just kicks off even though throttle hand stays the same then bam just kicks back in random, now this doesnt effect me to much i always ride 10k above normally but when im not its very frustrating and almost through me off bike other day because it happened over a bump.
Inspect your sidestand, starting with the spring. Make sure it hasn't softened enough, so that the sidestand barely depresses the switch, when it's pulled up. This is frequently the case and the result is that the engine cuts out every time the chassis shakes hard enough to swing the sidestand downwards (such as when going over a bump). If that's not the case, continue by inspecting the switch itself, making sure that it's clean and working properly.

I'll also note that, if you always ride above 10k rpms, you should at the very least make sure that your machine is in proper shape. You note that it "doesn't affect you much" as it happens at low speeds, but then that it "almost threw you off the bike once". If it can almost throw you off the bike at low speeds and loads, it probably will do so at 10k rpm, when you suddenly go from hard acceleration to hard braking instantaneously, as the engine cuts out.

#3 ·
Are you sure it's gas and not oil? Just asking because gas is pretty volatile and I'd expect it to have evaporated by the time you took the airbox apart. It also does look a bit oily in the photos. Might there be a separate filter for the crankcase vent hose, that you're perhaps missing? There is one on my K4, but I don't see anything for you model in the parts diagram. In any case, if it's oil, it would be from the crankcase and overfilling would make it worse, so you should make sure that you have the proper amount of oil, measured as described in the service manual (by sight, not by volume).
So I think why I thought it could of been gas was because the smell, but after farther inspection I came to the conclusion it is oil due from overfill, and I believe the injector had oil from the hose, so I'm gonna clean everything up and refill oil to proper level and see if it fixes it.

Inspect your sidestand, starting with the spring. Make sure it hasn't softened enough, so that the sidestand barely depresses the switch, when it's pulled up. This is frequently the case and the result is that the engine cuts out every time the chassis shakes hard enough to swing the sidestand downwards (such as when going over a bump). If that's not the case, continue by inspecting the switch itself, making sure that it's clean and working properly.

I'll also note that, if you always ride above 10k rpms, you should at the very least make sure that your machine is in proper shape. You note that it "doesn't affect you much" as it happens at low speeds, but then that it "almost threw you off the bike once". If it can almost throw you off the bike at low speeds and loads, it probably will do so at 10k rpm, when you suddenly go from hard acceleration to hard braking instantaneously, as the engine cuts out.
I check my machine everyday sir, it's a daily rider. 10k rpms first gear is about 45mph. If it was the side stand wouldn't it kill my engine and I'd have to start it again? The issue it's not it dying but cutting power then power kicing back in. And it is affected by rpms not speed or anything else. Only between 4k-8k Which leads me to believe and O2 sensor or Set Valve. I have never once had it happen above 10k rpms and iv put 3k miles on it sinse iv noticed the issue which is why I say it doesn't bother me much because I don't use those rpms much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.