Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Gravel...what is the best way to handle it?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  pook750 
#1 ·
I'm relatively new to riding, about 6 - 7 months total now. I feel confident on my ride, and feel like I react well in most any urgent or emergency situation. I always keep my cool, stay relaxed, and make the move I need to make. But gravel...gravel will cause me to absolutely forget everything I know about riding. Not just gravel anywhere but specifically gravel in turns. It can be a lot or a little and I immediately freeze. How do you guys handle gravel in a turn, and what do you believe is the best way to keep your bike underneath you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
The best way to deal with gravel is to not ride on roads that have gravel on them, and if you are riding at sane street speeds, and see some gravel in a corner, you should have plenty of time to just avoid it.

Whatever you do, don't target fixate, because you will eat shit. Maintain your lean, and be smooth and controlled, and you will be fine. Again, at sane street speeds.

#3 ·
Sane street speeds is how I always ride, based on advice from all of you I'll save my need for speed for the track. I guess my biggest question how should you react if the gravel does cause you to slide? For the most part the gravel I'm talking about are just little patches of it in the occasional corner. I don't ever ride a road or corner much quicker than posted limits if I'm not familiar with. The roads I am familiar with I know which corners have gravel so I adjust going in. Thanks for the advice as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I ride through gravel and rocks almost every time I ride...New Mexico isn't the nicest pavement in the country...

The best thing to do, as the other guy's mentioned, don't panic...stay on your line and hold the throttle steady as not not accelerate. I never get worried with gravel since I have handled it so many times and holding the throttle true is what will help you ride through any unstable surface.

#5 ·
Exactly what Ant said , if you ride on the road you will come across gravel ... Three factors that dictate how it will end are these ... Are you braking or accelerating , what lean angle you have and your speed.

Try to be smooth , don't grab the brakes when you feel the bike slide ... Ride it out , just as if you were walking on ice ... You wouldn't try running , or doing anything that could cause you to loose balance !!!!

If you've been riding long enough ... You should have an idea how to counter steer , which helps if the bike snaps/breaks traction without warning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.