Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

mid corner throttle control

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  600k2 
#1 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=80&v=6ksNglDV7yE

a question to the people that have raced or experienced track riders,

while watching this video i noticed that the rider is making minute adjustments to throttle while in mid corner. i have never been on a track(soon) and dont know if this is acceptable. isnt letting off that little bit going to unsettle things, or is that necessary to corner and maintain lean angle, line, cornering speed...etc?

#2 ·
That is necessary... And yes, it will slightly unsettle things, but nothing an experienced rider can't control.

For the beginner track rider though, mid-corner should just be maintenance throttle. Don't overwhelm yourself at first with worrying about these things, you are gonna have enough to focus on with just line and body position.

#4 ·
That is necessary... And yes, it will slightly unsettle things, but nothing an experienced rider can't control.

For the beginner track rider though, mid-corner should just be maintenance throttle. Don't overwhelm yourself at first with worrying about these things, you are gonna have enough to focus on with just line and body position.

Hey Anthony ,does he do it for steering purposes? (staying in his line)

#5 ·
Could be line adjustments, could be speed adjustments. I saw a few different reasons.

#7 ·
In my experience, if I'm starting to run wide, smoothly rolling off the gas will help tighten up my line. Yes, it can unsettle the bike and overload the front tire if you just chop it abruptly.

For a first timer, I think focusing on being on the correct line is the number one priority. Once you know where you're supposed to be on the track then start to work on body positioning, reference points (brake markers) and being smooth on the controls. Listen to Anthony, he's been a coach/instructor, I have not.

Wheelie control, too. The rider is shifting mid-corner with a quickshifter at 1:32 which could sound like he's on and off the throttle to some people.

#6 ·
Sometimes you'll need to do it for a line adjustment, or sometimes to keep the race line without picking the bike up and putting it back down again. CMP has a triple apex corner, 5-6-7. I vary the throttle to stay on line and make it like one corner and not 3.

#11 ·
its ingrained from the first thing you read on throttle control, once its open, roll on and dont chop throttle. i find myself subconsciously adjusting the throttle like the rider in video to make that adjustment to tighten the corner. it works for me just like it did in the video. but that doesnt mean its right and wont create potential problems for me in the future so thats why im asking.

#12 ·
Do you do this every time? I would focus on maintaining the throttle and being consistent. If you're at extreme lean angles and have to wiggle room to lean in, throttle manipulation will be the next option.

But I don't what your skill level or experience its, I'm not judging :dunno

#16 ·
no i do not do this everytime. when focused on throttle i am steady and controlled. its more when im focusing on something else that i have noticed i do it. not everytime, but when i do i catch myself.

i have watched twist of the wrist multiple times, but never the video you posted. ill take a look. thank you

i want to lean further!!! but to do it safely im waiting for the track. no more street riding for me :)

#17 ·
Simon Crafar speaks about riding a 1000cc bike around a track and has some of that 90's style body position. IMO what he teaches is still relevant today and works on every bike from 250cc to 1000cc around a track as far as I've experienced. You need to watch the video several times and have several track days to practice before you really start to understand. Maybe a race weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.