Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Fourth Gear Issues...

697 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Pierre_Escargot 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, new member here- yes, I performed a search but I couldn't find anything similar to my problem.

Bike is a 2013, just south of 15,000 miles on the clock.

I commute a lot with the bike and noticed a while ago that while traveling at highway speed (65mph or greater) that my bike has trouble in fourth gear. My throttle is constant and smooth but the response "skips" and "jumps" which kind of makes the bike lurch. This doesn't happen in any other gear- if I go down to three or up to five it goes away. This problem seems to have gotten a bit worse as time has progressed.

Any ideas here? I don't want to get boned by my dealer trying to diagnose this.

Thanks, Pete

#2 ·
So, do you keep the throttle at a constant position when the "lurching" happens, and it just happens sometimes, or do you make smooth throttle inputs? If the latter, when does it happen; when accelerating, decelerating, trying to maintain a constant speed or any of the above? Finally, have you noticed if it always happens at the same speed, or if the speed varies?

#4 ·
I can think of two things: either too much chain slack, causing drivetrain resonance when trying to maintain speed, or, assuming it always happens at the same speed, a problem with the TPS, right at the throttle position, that corresponds to coasting at that speed.

The latter is rather unlikely, unless the bike is relatively old and has spent much of its life around that speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.