Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Pinch bolts

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  john kinzell 
#1 ·
I can tighten axle and right side pinch bolts and front Tire spins free. But as soon as I do left side I get a bunch of friction why?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
The front end needs to be tightened in a specific order... Consult the factory service manual for the order.

#5 ·
+1 on "Are your forks aligned?"

Some detailed instructions (somewhat overkill IMO) can be found in threads here. Maybe by Iridium Red. With the wheel off, check that as you insert the axle through one fork with the bolts slightly snugged up, that it will go straight into the other fork without having to juggle its position.

Somewhat off topic but years ago I was in the Laguna Seca paddock as the Team Vesrah bike was about to leave for the grid. I noticed that there was only one pinch bolt on either side with an empty hole next to it. I pointed this out to one of the crew who said that the bike was prepped by their most senior mechanic and that was how he built them. Go figure.

#6 ·
Somewhat off topic but years ago I was in the Laguna Seca paddock as the Team Vesrah bike was about to leave for the grid. I noticed that there was only one pinch bolt on either side with an empty hole next to it. I pointed this out to one of the crew who said that the bike was prepped by their most senior mechanic and that was how he built them. Go figure.
Any sound logic behind the single pinch bolt @BillV?

#7 ·
^Not that I'm aware of. I didn't get a chance to ask the mechanic but I assume that he'd found a second bolt to be redundant so he left it out. Don't remember if it was safety wired. Good luck to the rider if the remaining bolt came loose.

Somewhere I have a pic of the lower fork with missing bolt and possibly also of the mechanic in conversation at the back of the Vesrah tent. I would have written it off as a wacko idea if it wasn't by one of the better teams. I'm unaware of anyone else doing this. In hindsight, I wish that I'd taken a look at his lower triple clamp.

I've been meaning to mention this for some time but the topic never came up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.