Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Brakes do not work while bike is moving!!!

2K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Anthony D 
#1 ·
I just Replaced Tires and and put the tires back on the bike. I pumped the brakes back up and they seemed fine. Then was going to do a test drive and as I was leaving the driveway the front brakes will not work. Any idea on why?? The bike did fall of the stand but I cought it before it hit the ground.

#2 ·
Check to make sure you have one pad on each side of the rotor.

#3 ·
Did you bleed the lines?

#5 ·
I am not saying you don't have a pad in. I am saying you might have two pads on one side of the rotor.

#7 ·
One of the rotors could have been bent while the front wheel was off the bike...

You pump up the brakes while stopped and they work fine, then when the wheel turns the rotor pushes the pad against the caliper piston, the caliper piston retracts into the caliper leaving a huge gap between the pad and the rotor. Next time you try to use the brake it takes 87 pumps to get the piston pushed out far enough to push the pad into the rotor.

Put the bike up on stands and spin the front wheel while looking at the rotors. If they wobble you should be able to see it pretty easily. If they're bent, I'd buy new rotors, but I've heard of them being straightened.

#8 ·
Could be this as well... Who mounted the tires? What machine did they use? If they used a small bead breaker like the ones sold at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool, you need to remove the rotors as to not bend them.

#11 ·
So brake pads are where they need to be... bleed the brakes... just check the disc and they are fuck ed. Just tried to take tire off and rounded off a bold on the forks... it's not my day.

#13 ·
OEM or EBC stock replacement rotors.

EBC, Vesrah or CL pads.

#17 ·
I doubt you will notice a difference between an OEM rotor and Brembo rotor, sorry to say. Save the money and get OEM rotors (which I won lots of races with), good lines, and good pads.

Reactions: JamminJesus
#23 ·
I just Replaced Tires and and put the tires back on the bike.
Clean hands or dirty hands as I reassembled the wheel? Did I pick up the wheel or discs with my greasy hands or sweaty palms? I did not complain about brakes before the hands on, right?

the front brakes will not work. Any idea on why??
Disc install is like taking a chit and pulling the briefs/boxer short of a wipe? Did I clean up that sentence or? Anyway, I can do either/or:

Either; I take brake clean and start spraying the discs and spin the wheel, drag the brakes thru it too and I mean soak some pad and disc with spray alone and let it evaporate.

Or; I pull the pads, wipe the discs with brake clean and paper towels and know clean is clean I go thru a few sheets. I then scrub the pads on the cement sidewalk, not the black oiled street, not a smooth garage floor. I burned in something on the pad surface? Embedded grease is my call so I scrub the pad a new surface on rough cement. Break-in is none, just ride normal, brake normal.

Signed,
NOLTT (no oil left to tell)

#27 ·
Race Spec'd Discs like Brembo HPK Supersport or T Drives tend to be 5.5mm thick.

Standard or OEM Street replacements tend to be 4.5mm thick.

Makes no odds to the Caliper or Pads the extra 1mm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.