Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Thinking of going back to stock clip on exhaust

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Carnage 
#1 ·
My bike came with an aftermarket clip on silencer (scorpian red power) and I was thinking of putting the original one back on (which I have with the bike).

I'm guessing this will make the bike quieter, but wondering if it will run any different. It's just a clip up and the bike has the original cat/down pipes and I don't think it's been remapped?

What do other think, how does the stock L4 exhaust sound?

#4 ·
Mainly the noise, sometimes I love it and sometimes I hate it... very undecided here....

I thought it would be easy to swap the cans but the aftermarket one is stuck on. I thought if the garage swap it over I can always swap it back - or maybe not if that one gets stuck too...?

#11 ·
But there isn't. In preparation for buying my GSXR, I started looking for them on ebay and found only a couple, and they were in rough shape. Thankfully, the dealer had the original can and parts so they threw it in as part of the deal. I can swap out my M4 shorty if it's too loud.

#12 · (Edited)
I have replaced my original silencers to after market ones because first they help lose weight (and add some power with the right filter) and also reduce the amount of heat coming out of the engine, mine used to be quite noticeable and on a hot day I felt my leathers were about to melt; and I find the extra noise make other road users more aware of me.

#13 ·
I respectfully disagree that having a louder pipe makes other people more aware of you. Don't get me wrong. I love my yosh pipe, and wouldnt be opposed to it being a few db louder but not so "people can hear me". That's a fallacy. The only time people can hear you is when they are behind you. If your stopped at a stop light, they won't hear you until you're bouncing off their windshield, if they are behind you and you're rolling, chances are they arent going to be keeping up. /end rant. This isn't my thread to hijack over a debate.

#17 ·
I agree to all you say but I am sure they can hear an after market exhaust (minus DB killer) more than a standard one, the difference is huge; In my experience car drivers usually do hear us when given time and most make room for us to overtake safely when road conditions allow.

#14 ·
Amen. That's more of an old Harley adage.

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't tell much of a difference with an after market slip on and the stock exhaust as far as volume goes. Different tones definitely, but unless you're running straight pipes, it's all going to be plenty loud over 10K IMO :)

#15 ·
You'd be surprised at how many of us keep our stock pipes and other equipment around. That is likely why it's so hard to find the stock stuff. You never know when you may want to make your bike all original again. On a side note, the Valentino Rossi book you see on my shelf is an excellent read. A nice gift from the wife years ago sitting in the middle of the second shelf of my book case.

Attachments

#18 ·
Odd place to keep your stock exhaust but that's where I parked it when I took it off. Wife never complained about it so I said "fuck it, it stays there for now." :lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.