Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

stripped oil pan

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  kwaka10r 
#1 ·
So over the weekend I did my oil change and I guess I over tightened the oil pan drain bolt. The threads inside the oil pan came off with the bolt when I took off the bolt to inspect it. Doing some research online I found 2 options A)Replace Oil Pan or B)Helicoil. I decided to go with the Helicoil route. Our drain plugs thread pitch is 14x1.25 so I ended up buying the kit from Orileys for roughly $40.

Heli-Coil 5334-14 - Spark Plug Repair Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Anyways, watched a youtube video of how to install it and everything went smoothly. I hope others out there don't do the same thing I did but it is bound to happen...

#3 ·
I did something similar called TimeSert.

It worked well for a year but eventually the replacement threads come back out and you will have to replace that pan anyways. The heat cycling of the pan and oil getting hot/cold can/will cause the the new threads to fuse to your drain bolt.

So after a year I was forced to replace the pan. Lesson learned. (in my case it was never use a torque wrench with an extension as it will fuck up the torque value)

Keep an eye on it, hope all goes well.

#5 ·
Yeah,gotta be careful with those drain plug's. I hope it works for you:cheers
I have a friends K9 1K in my garage that has 4 stripped out 6mmx1.00mm oil pan bolt threads. Going to Helicoil them and hope for the best.

#7 ·
16.5 ft.lb or 22Nm is not much torque. Use a torque wrench. Most people strip it because they think large bolt large torque and may be used to working on steel sump panned vehicles.

I bought a bag of aluminium washers and they seal so good I never had to replace the original first one I used.

#9 ·
The helicoil is iffy IMO because there isn't much meat for the helicoil and there's a fair chance of leaking after the fix. A stat-o-seal might be the solution to leaks but the metric sizes are hard to come by. I think that it ought to be possible to TIG weld a new boss in place of the old. But that's a lot of work and a skilled welder is needed.

You're not the first to strip the plug. There are several threads here about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.