Should i get a GSX-R 600 or CBR600RR? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

Should i get a GSX-R 600 or CBR600RR?

I've been researching and seem to really like the Gixxer, but whenever im on YouTube i always see people saying the the CBR is the better bike? I just need so clear opinions on this becauae i feel like everyone is Fan Boying, I'm aware this is a Gixxer forum but try to be as honest with me as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:52 AM
Amateur

Garage
Re: Should i get a GSX-R 600 or CBR600RR?

What's your riding experience? You should start with that. And this is the wrong sub forum. I'm sure a mod will move it for you.

That being said, those repsol cbrs are fucking sexy. That's all I got though. Lol
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: SRAD
All personal preference/riding want/needs.
Have to sit on them, and ride them.....10 different answers from ten different people.
If it's for a first bike you want...neither is a good choice.

People do what they want tho.....hopefully live n learn.
post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

I've heard people say they started with 300s and some started with 600s. I would like to start with a 600 so i dont just waste money on selling the 300 after a few months when i grow out of it, i dont have money to just be throwing away when i could just get the 600 the first time and take it easy?
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:15 AM
I CAN tell the difference between a squirrel and a monkey...

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhama View Post
I've heard people say they started with 300s and some started with 600s. I would like to start with a 600 so i dont just waste money on selling the 300 after a few months when i grow out of it, i dont have money to just be throwing away when i could just get the 600 the first time and take it easy?
Here we go...again.
That's a perfect plan,definitely execute it&get that 600
coopgt1 and SJB like this.
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Drunkz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:

Generally folks who start with the smaller bike are able to sell the bike for pretty much what they originally paid for it. I think when it comes to resale value, 250s and 300s are the real winners. Some folks have even reported selling later for a profit. Ideally you want to put around 10K miles on a smaller bike or non-supersport bike before making the jump. Truthfully that can easily be done even in places where it snows. Ask me how I know.

Don't discount the skills that smaller displacement bikes can teach you. There are many guys around even on this forum who "stepped down" to become better at one point in their riding/racing careers. I'm one of them. If you do choose to go with the 600, which you probably will, make sure that you take an MSF course, invest in proper riding gear, and read and absorb all of the information you can from those more experienced than you are. Study study study. Even when you're off of the bike, you should be studying. This sport is not a game.
Todd_Sails likes this.

I'd rather ride and control an Analog bike than ride and be controlled by a Digital one.
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:24 AM
Drunkz again

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Here we go...again.
What do you expect? It's getting to be that time of the year.

For every 10 people who make these threads only 1 will take the advice unfortunately.
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 AM
I CAN tell the difference between a squirrel and a monkey...

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post

For every 10 people who make these threads only 1 will take the advice unfortunately.
It's ironic that I just posted about this type of mentality in one of ChrisLR's threads. And here it is right before us
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:40 AM
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
It's ironic that I just posted about this type of mentality in one of ChrisLR's threads. And here it is right before us
It's also funny (ironic) that ChrisLR was the 1 of 10 last year that took the advice of forum members about not jumping on a Supersport.

Seriously dude, get a smaller bike. Ride it for 2 riding seasons (if you have an off season. I do. I live in Michigan). If you maintain it properly, learn how to work on it, learn how to control it and don't skip it down the road a handful of times, you should be able to sell it for pretty close to what you paid for it. Those smaller bikes are often times bought up by other new riders who want something to learn on so as long as it's mechanically sound and looks halfway decent, they retain their value.

If you simply can't stand the idea of riding around on a 250/300 cuz your balls are too big and you don't want ur boys to think you're a pussy or something (only reason I can think of why people hate the smaller displacement bikes) get yourself something a little more rider friendly. A Katana 600, sv650, or a ninja 650. These are sport "touring" bikes. Still plenty of grunt but much more forgiving. I started on a Kat 600. It took me 3 years to grow out of it. I was in a hit and run accident and totalled it the 4th year otherwise I'd Still have it.
Carnage likes this.
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2008 SV650S

Quote:
You won't outgrow a 300 for quite some time....unless you think you'll be faster than Ari in a few months??

Edit - yes the one in the video is race prepped (slicks, tuned suspension, quickshifter, and up 8 horsepower) but the point still stands.

post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: 2011 gsxr750

I had a ninja 250 . Bought a GSXR 750 . Sold the 250 . Just bought a 300 cause I missed the 250 so much. Get a Grom OP.
post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: ZX-10R
Garage

I had hella fun on my KTM RC390.

There is no outgrowing that bike.
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
I can say with almost 100% certainty that you will NEVER grow out of a 300, even without modifying the suspension. There's a big difference between growing out of a bike and getting bored of the power, despite not having the skill to even surpass the abilities of a 36hp motorcycle.
post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Quote:

Generally folks who start with the smaller bike are able to sell the bike for pretty much what they originally paid for it. I think when it comes to resale value, 250s and 300s are the real winners. Some folks have even reported selling later for a profit. Ideally you want to put around 10K miles on a smaller bike or non-supersport bike before making the jump. Truthfully that can easily be done even in places where it snows. Ask me how I know.

Don't discount the skills that smaller displacement bikes can teach you. There are many guys around even on this forum who "stepped down" to become better at one point in their riding/racing careers. I'm one of them. If you do choose to go with the 600, which you probably will, make sure that you take an MSF course, invest in proper riding gear, and read and absorb all of the information you can from those more experienced than you are. Study study study. Even when you're off of the bike, you should be studying. This sport is not a game.
Thanks for the reply, im most definetly gonna buy gear and never leave without it whenever i ride, and I'll definitely study extensively about what im doing on my bike and what i should and should not be doing.
Trust me I've heard my fair share of why you should start at 300 and why someone wouldn't.. im not blind to it, and no it is not because im cocky and think i have big ass balls like some may say and think of me since i said i want to start with a 600.
post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Quote:
Here we go...again.

Why is it so unfortunate? What if someone buys a 600 as thier first bike and is extremely efficent with it and learns well and is a safe and competent rider? That person just bypassed having to buy the 300 which they didnt really want or had the desire for in the 1st place? I dont see how that can be that bad?

Im not saying a 300 is a pussy bike by no means like others will have you think that is what im trying to say by wanting a 600 instead.
post #16 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Quote:
I can say with almost 100% certainty that you will NEVER grow out of a 300, even without modifying the suspension. There's a big difference between growing out of a bike and getting bored of the power, despite not having the skill to even surpass the abilities of a 36hp motorcycle.
I can see what your saying bro, but do you really think it is that bad that i want to bypass the 300 and just get the 600? I dont see the hate behind it? I've seen and know some riders who did exactly what im saying here and they are perfectly fine and love thier bikes and always say they are happy they got the 600 over the 300?
post #17 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Why is it so unfortunate? What if someone buys a 600 as thier first bike and is extremely efficent with it and learns well and is a safe and competent rider? That person just bypassed having to buy the 300 which they didnt really want or had the desire for in the 1st place? I dont see how that can be that bad?

Im not saying a 300 is a pussy bike by no means like others will have you think that is what im trying to say by wanting a 600 instead.
Extremely efficient? See, the thing is that people think they're learning something on a 600, but they're really just leaning on its amazing abilities as a crutch. That's not learning, just like shooting in a game with auto-aim does not suddenly mean you're an excellent FPS player.
post #18 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:40 PM
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...

Motorcycle: K1 600
Quote:

You don't see how that can be bad because you have no experience riding. You don't know what efficient is on a 600 because you don't know what efficient is on a smaller cc bike.
post #19 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Drunkz again

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
just like shooting in a game with auto-aim does not suddenly mean you're an excellent FPS player.

Fuck you maaaaan! Some of us actually need the auto aim. Ain't got time for that extra shit.
post #20 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueshy View Post
Quote:

You don't see how that can be bad because you have no experience riding. You don't know what efficient is on a 600 because you don't know what efficient is on a smaller cc bike.
So i wouldnt be able to ride and practice on a 600cc like i would be able to on a 300cc? Is that what your saying? If so can you tell me why i wouldnt be able to and the drawbacks?
I've got 2 close friends that are bikers and that is who ultimately turned me on to motorbikes and both of them started with 600cc and have been rinding for atleast 3 years and now 1 out of the 2 of them ride a 1000cc and the other still rides the 600cc.
Did they start wrong aswell then? Because they are pretty good riders it seems like to me, and they always wear gear when they ride.

Last edited by Tsuhama; 02-15-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode