Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Overheated on track. Now have red warning light with oil and water symbol

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Blipstein 
#1 ·
I was on track at VIR yesterday and I overheated (had just switched over to water-only and must have left air in the system). I immediately pulled off track because I was up to 270 degrees - Yikes!!! I let the bike cool down and filled it back up with water. Before I left to go out again I noticed that I had the red warning light on (no FI codes). It is displaying the oil AND water symbol.

I am currently breaking everything down to investigate but was hoping you guys could advise as to what to check (have to race CCS at VIR in 2.5 weeks so I am hoping to get this handled). I am hoping it's not the head gasket. Gonna check closely for that. Hoping it's only a sensor or something.

What would you guys advise that I check to try and find the source of this? Thanks in advance

#6 ·
Room temperature

Have you done a compression/leakdown test yet? That will reveal all...
I have not yet. So I guess if I have compression then the head gasket is ok. As long as the oil isn't milky and the water doesn't have any oil in it or anything it's very likely a sensor (which I can test with a power meter?)

Thanks. I'll report back

#5 ·
Have you done a compression/leakdown test yet? That will reveal all...

#7 ·
Good luck, report back and let us know what happens.

#11 ·
So long story short.... Two bolts in the motor that hold the drive shaft housing (opposite side of the front sprocket and behind the clutch basket) came loose and fell out. Bounced around in the oil pan. Got caught in the oil pump sprocket/chain and busted the oil pump chain. Lost oil pressure as the oil just sat in the bottom of the oil pan and the bike temp started to rise and boiled over my water. Hopefully no further damage was done to the top of the motor while it was hot (for only a short time)

#19 ·
That really sucks!

#20 ·
I bought the bike from a friend last summer. This was a spare motor that he had built years ago. The motor is pretty much brand new but it's too long ago to go back to the builder. Plus I was taken care of VERY well on an incredibly well sorted race bike. The replacement parts cost me only about $50. Most of this issue will be labor (done by myself and a friend). Now the question is was there any damage anywhere else in the motor? I don't there will be. I think I lost the oil pump while riding (luckily I was control riding and not at race pace) and noticed the red light pretty quickly (I THINK!!!) and pulled off within a few corners. I won't know until I run it at the VIR CCS round in two weeks. My order is placed with replacement parts from Partzilla and should be here next week. I'll keep you guys updated if anyone is interested. Thanks for everyone's input

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.