Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

GP shift help for L6!

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Awhitt82 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm trying to change my bike to GP shift and for the life of me I cannot get the shaft out for the shift lever to move it over to the hole on the right. I already rounded off the head for it so I tried some vice grips and this thing won't budge. Does anyone know if it's reverse thread or the trick to get it out? I already ordered a new shaft but don't want to get a bracket as they are $40!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I was using a 17mm deep well socket and yeah there wasn't much to grab on to at all. I was putting a lot of force on the ratchet and pushing towards the bike to try and bust it loose, but it wouldn't go. Eventually the socket rounded it off so I switched to vice grips. I will try it again tomorrow, but its really in there. I just bought the bike last week so I'm not too happy about it lol
It's a 750 too BTW...

Thanks

#7 ·
I was using a 17mm deep well socket and yeah there wasn't much to grab on to at all. I was putting a lot of force on the ratchet and pushing towards the bike to try and bust it loose, but it wouldn't go. Eventually the socket rounded it off so I switched to vice grips. I will try it again tomorrow, but its really in there. I just bought the bike last week so I'm not too happy about it lol
It's a 750 too BTW...

Thanks
Any luck with the vice grips ?
:monkeyface

#9 · (Edited)
I looked in my service manual and as far as I can ascertain it has thread lock 1322 medium strength and 1302 which is high strength so it may require heat to get it off. I can safely say the snap ring has been removed?

1303 - hi strength, infrequent removal

1322 - med strength stud & bearing

1342 - low strength, frequent removal

1360 - hi temp

#12 ·
I flipped my L6 to GP shift today and did not need to move the shifter. Still have about 1mm of clearance when shifting the bike. I did need to rotate the rod a tiny bit but that was all. This is the first bit of luck I have have putting this thing together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#15 ·
That is the angle I had mine as well and when I moved the shift lever up and down by hand to see if the rod would rub when I upshifted is when it would hit because the rod pulls up and somewhat forward. Like you said you rotated the rod so maybe that's all it needed.....
My new parts will be here Monday!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.