Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

L4 750 left case oil leak

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  deank69 
#1 · (Edited)
yesterday after a 300 mile ride noticed oil residue on lower right fairing. upper case cover appears to be blowing the oil. checked oil level and level is not low.

notes: changed oil prior to ride - mobil1 10:40, k&n 138 filter, 2500 cc (2.5 quarts) also added a vortex lower case guard 1500 miles ago but this doesn't appear to be location of the problem. checked those bolts too and they were tight.

is this random? what would cause the failure? thanks in advance. btw current mileage 4500.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4j46poqjgidk05j/IMG_0664.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/511t0zf8o04y7wk/IMG_0666.JPG?dl=0

#4 ·
Try to clean it up best you can, start it and run it. See if you can see anything. Difficult to tell from those pics.

Bike should still be under warranty, no?

#5 ·
i'm second owner. only had the bike two months. had 1750 miles when i bought it. i've rode it quite a bit - most weekends. factory warranty is just 12 months i thought. anyway, i'm hoping it's just a gasket deal. looks to me like oil is blowing high side of the case cover - idk. if it is that, my question "what would cause that"? thanks for the advice, i'lll give that a try.

#7 ·
as i understand high crankcase pressure could be a result of: 1. blow by, 2. running hard cold, 3. worn/old, 4. bad pvc, 5. blown head gasket or plugged hose from pvc. that's just google crap. anyway, i'm a diy guy not a engine mechanic. logical reasons given it's a relatively low mile bike would be something to do with pvc. idk. thanks.

#9 ·
Unless you spilled oil all over the engine, no.

I would check the reed valves to see if they are shitted up.

#10 ·
I tried uploading the pics for you but it didnt work...anyway,follow Anthony's advice on troubleshooting:thumbup

#12 ·
Perhaps the fact that sealant is liberally used everywhere, instead/or along with the gaskets might also have something to do with it?
I instantly noticed that and it piqued my curiosity why it was literally all over the place:dunno

#13 · (Edited)
like i mentioned before i had changed the oil and filter. i know i didn't overfill because i measured precisely 2500cc's. i also have the remainder of that quart left and i checked the sight glass numerous times. also as i stated i'd ridden 300 miles on Sunday and never noticed it on the lower fairing towards the exhaust - reason for the residue.

anyway, the engine is very clean, like new "ish". i wiped off the oil residue and started it on the stand. in just a few minutes it started to weep. picture and video link below. as i stated i had put a vortex case protector on a month ago, the weep has appeared behind those three bolts. the problem is new. i wish i'd taken a picture of the oil splatter on the fairing. i haven't lost very much oil because there's still oil in the sight glass.

wondering if what the possible origins of the failure could be before replacing the gasket only . again i'm not an engine mechanic, but a diy guy to a fault - ha! thanks for the help/suggestions.

short video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9603t51kswzqs19/Gsxr oil weep 1.mov?dl=0

picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r090edg3gits2oe/Gsxr oil weep 2.jpeg?dl=0

#16 ·
Looks like there is a rip or something else going on with the gasket causing
the leak. Pop that side cover off where that case protector is mounted,inspect the gasket and verify that the bolts are long enough and make sure you arent missing any of the bolts with the oil-seal gasket/washer because those will cause grief....here'e a fiche for parts clarification:
Fiche Parts

#15 ·
First of all, this is the 1000 section. 600/750 is elsewhere. Secondly, that looks more like the right side than the left. Or am I missing something? Has the cover ever been off? All that excess sealant does not look like OEM. If the cover's been off, the gasket might be messed up/reused. Sealing washers are used beneath the screws in some positions on the 1000's. Have you checked if they should be on yours and are missing? I wonder if the leak is related to the installation of the case protector.

#20 ·
Yes, but I highly doubt they would do it. There's a phosphorescent dye that can be added to the oil. After the engine is run for a while, a blacklight is used to look for the now glowing oil. It's hard to distinguish old leaks and existing leaks. This method shows what is current.

#21 ·
Replace the gasket. Make sure you replace any oil seal washers on that case at the same time. Use some Threebond 1207B on the case side of of the gasket. Make sure you carefully clean gasket faces. Do these and I'm sure your problem will be fixed.
That vortex case saver come with longer bolts presumably - Did the oem bolts have oil seal washers on them which you did not put onto the longer vortex bolts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.