Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

2013 rear seat cowl/pillion

8K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  suzi750rdr 
#1 ·
So as you know the newer GSXR's don't come with the rear seat cowls like they used to. They want upwards of over $250 for factory cowls. I found a cheap aftermarket version for roughly $30. Rear Seat Cowl Cover for Suzuki GSXR 600 GSX R 750 2011 2016 2012 2013 2014 2015 | eBay

A used one for $150. 11 12 13 14 Suzuki GSXR 600 750 Carbon Fiber Rear Seat Cowl 800 | eBay

I was wondering the difference in the two. Only thing I can really tell is the part that latches to the sub frame. Cheap one being plastic and OEM being metal. Since the pics are generally the same i wonder about the pattern on the cheap one, if it matches the section in the tail. If so I can buy the cheap one and buy the metal latching part off of babbitts and have a carbon fiber cowl for a hella lot cheaper than OEM yes?

Has anyone bought the cheap aftermarket version?

#3 ·
Yesssssss!!!:punk

#4 ·
I bet even the cheap one likely has metal to lock on to your subframe just like the OEM cowls. Mine does and I paid about $34 on eBay for a China version. Couldn't justify spending $200 over at Ron Ayers when I could have just kept the pillion seat on. Only the pure enthusiast can tell the difference and they're all already on this forum. :lol

Fits like a glove and happier than I expected to be. If you can afford the bike you can afford to gamble on a $31 seat cowl. It's a cowl for God's sake. Not like your buying a set of Chinese brake rotors. :wacko

Attachments

#5 ·
I bought a cheap China made rear seat cowl for my L6 750. Fits like a charm and the "carbon" pattern lined up nicely and blends right in. So far it has held up to the weather, but I keep my bike in my house so that could be different if it was in direct sunlight all day long.

For $30, definitely worth the gamble..but I wouldn't take that gamble on any parts that actually matter.

:cheers

#9 ·
Thanks for the pic. I've been thinking about getting this for my Gixxer (2012) but worried about quality. Looks darn good to me so gonna pull the trigger. Only 3 more months before I can take my baby out for the first time. The pillion seat has gotta go! Man it's ugly!

#13 ·
Re-read the thread again. Not a single person argued that the fit and finish would be perfect. :wackoThat fact that you even have to look for and find imperfections in the China product means the China boys did a decent job all things considered. Again...we're not talking brake levers here. For $30 some odd dollars...who gives a fuck if the color's off a bit? They're not gonna notice at Starbucks. :phhht

Reactions: suzi750rdr
#18 · (Edited)
Mine looks great. Yeah, it's plastic, but so's the rest of the carbon fibre behind the seat, right?

The trailing edge is a little thin with a sharp edge, so I wouldn't drop it on something hard, but man, for the $, you can't beat it! I didn't notice the gloss difference. Hard to see in the pics, but again, for the $, the Chinese guys did good.

Before and after pics attached. (Oops..more like after and before pics..)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.