Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Preventing Brakes Caliper Being Stolen

7K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Demoncamber 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just found out my 12 750 GSXR Brembo calipers was stolen. Replacing them isn't much of an issue but to prevent it from being stolen again is a concern. I plan to park the bike somewhere else as current the bike is park in a public parking space

Is there any caliper lock nut or some mechanism to make it more difficult from being stolen again?

Cheers!!

#5 ·
Put those bolts on and they'll probably say fuck it&steal the whole bike :shifty

#6 ·
Pretty much. If this was an issue for me I'd park it somewhere more secure.

Red locktite, perhaps? Maybe go with torx head bolts instead of whatever the factory bolts are? Both? :dunno

The problem with making the calipers harder to steal is that you could be creating a bigger headache for yourself next time you change your tire or brake pads. I have never heard of someone's calipers being stolen before. I have heard of a slip-on being stolen but that was an anomaly (and a hilarious thread)

#7 ·
What about safety wire? Would make it more difficult to steal them...

#10 ·
Or have @le skid make a Tokico sticker to put over the Brembo name..Thives will be like "nah,we don't wan them shitty Tockico's yo we want them shitty Suzuki/Brembo's :lmao

Reactions: kevinc
#9 ·
That's a real kick in the balls. And the pocketbook! I'd be afraid that making it so they couldnt get them off would probably piss them off and theyd kick your bike over as a fuck you for not letting me steal your stuff, or, as mentioned, taking the whole damn bike. OR... The creative thief would just go buy whatever it is that you bought to still get them off. If anybody were to take a second to case your bike, they'd know its there all the time. Do you live in an apartment? If you're on the first floor, this is a great excuse to the wife/GF to park the bike inside!! Haha

#11 ·
Littlke do they know that the OEM Tokicos are better than the OEM Brembos!!!

:lmao

Reactions: oldgixxer
#12 ·
Exactly :lol

#14 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I agree and got to evaluate the impact by using some safely lock nut. It could be quite a hassle if I would need to remove the caliper during any emergency situation. Who knows?? :p

Just called up the insurance company and it seems it won't be covered as a brake caliper is deem as an accessories and theft is only covered if the whole entire bike is stolen. On the bright side, I guess I found out before I rode the bike, imagine leaving the parking lot with no brakes. :(

Let me check out all the recommended options and will update you guys.

Cheers!

#16 · (Edited)
On the bright side, I guess I found out before I rode the bike, imagine leaving the parking lot with no brakes. :(

Cheers!
I mean wouldn't the dead giveaway be the pool of brake fluid all over and around your front wheel?
What about wheel paint damage from the brake fluid? Did it get on anything?

And wait... how is insurance even saying it's an accessory... It's OEM equipment, anything that came with the bike from factory is.... part of the bike.....
It's not like you're talking about a phone, phone holder, extra lights you added on, etc. It's a BRAKE CALIPER.
I'd call em back and talk to them more, because that's a bullshit excuse. Progressive even replaced my $400 radar detector on my bike when I low sided lmao, thanks to that accessory insurance.

#18 ·
Believe it or not this kind of theft is a serious issue on MotoGP or WSBK days on the TT Assen over here. Multiple bikes will be found with missing calipers and the likes.. :/

#19 ·
I believe it, 3 easy bolts and it's gone.

OP your best bet is to just get those security bolts as above, just make sure you have extra sockets for the heads, keep one under your seat in a safe place or tucked away where ever you have storage on your bike, and one at home! If you really want to get creative, get one of each, so you have two bracket bolts with different security heads lmao.

I'd say a bike alarm with a tilt/vibration sensor would be wise as well.

I've never had anything stolen off my bike yet... Although I've had the nightmares of it happening!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.