Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Changing sprockets and the affect on wheelbase

4K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  dpapavas 
#1 ·
GSXR750 L3: My goal is to gear the bike more. All I want to do is change the front sprocket -1 and retain the stock chain, while maintaining the stock wheelbase. I was thinking adding +1 on the rear sprocket to correct this. Does anyone know if I'll end up shortening the wheelbase doing this?

#3 ·
Just curious, what are your ride heights front and rear? And lap times?

I ask only because even when I was winning races I never worried about wheelbase, and I would change gearing constantly.

#6 ·
I think it's good to think about how changes you make affect geometry, wheelbase, etc. but don't think down one in the front will make a big difference. I went -1/+2 for first time taking this bike on track so don't have a real way to compare. The +2 on the rear felt too much of a change for me and went to -1/0 for my remaining trackdays. I have tried to get ride height as correct as I know it to be (gathering as much info as I can on setup) with fork extenders and shock length but to tell the truth I didn't worry much about wheelbase when doing my gearing changes, right or wrong.

#7 ·
I was thinking about this not to long ago and tried figuring it out mathematically but was not able to. I have multiple different sprockets, and used the same logic as you (-1 in the front and +1 out back should be close to the same wheelbase as stock). However, I do notice that if I just run -1 in the front (lengthening the wheelbase) my bike feels more stable on corner exit. It is fine either way, but the front doesn't get as light with that extra wheelbase.

#10 ·
I'll measure the difference when I do it just for kicks. I use to do all sorts of things to my 07 1k but now I'm looking to be more methodical when I make changes. Its funny how minute a change can make a difference in feel, stability, or clearance. You know, on second thought, this may be too difficult to measure because I'd have to have the same amount of chain slack before and after. Anyways no biggy.

#8 ·
Making way too much of a big deal about absolutely nothing. Going -1 on the front will have an absolutely negligible effect on wheelbase on a streetbike and like Anthony said unless you are an Expert racer,wont make a difference on the track either.

Dont overthink this people....

#17 ·
Not insulted at all, actually I'm laughing.

:thumbup

#21 ·
I find it funny that at no point was I mean, or insulting, or anything other than helpful. Hell, I even gave you a compliment in post #11!

Then you decide to tell me in no uncertain terms that I am too stupid to answer your question.

So where did the hostility come from?

#22 ·
For fucks sake,is everyone a whiny fucking bitch on this forum now? :facepalm

#25 ·
On the matter of the original question: if the object is to change gearing while avoiding any other side-effects on the behavior of the bike, then anti-squat is another thing to consider.

Changing sprocket sizes changes the chain line and hence anti-squat behavior. Going -1 front, will make the bike squat less under acceleration and going +1 back more so.

I don't know if the effect will be important compared to the change in wheelbase or at all (although it should affect wheelbase variation under load). Just saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.