Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

09 GSXR750 - Gauge Cluster/Headlights Turning off and on

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Gixxer2009 
#1 ·
Hello,

Im having some issues with my gixxer 750 and was wondering if someone could please help me out. I tried searching and found tons of posts but no post to the exact issue im having. This is my first post so i apologize in advance if i missed a post i couldn't find or something. Just need some guidance, dont wanna take t o a shop and pay arm and leg to fix this.

09 GSXR, 13000 KM's, 3rd owner, bought it 4 months ago, been in shop for miss firing and turns out it was running on 3 cylinders (bad spark plug), tail light wires are just hanging lose from previous owner because of fender eliminator kit that doesn't come with a light.

And now below is the issue im having.

All displays are off except the N light
Front headlights and High Beams are on but just a soft glow
Turning Signals glow amber but work if I turn them on
Bike never shuts off, drives like it always does
Sometimes while turning the high beams on and off, it can cause the gauges to flicker
This happened occasionally but last night they turned off for awhile and never came back on

Troubleshooting done so far:

If i take the low beam fuse out my cluster starts to work, and if i put the fuse back in and take out High and low beam lamps the cluster works. If i turn the signal on the cluster dies thats with all head lights lamps out, if i shut the signal off cluster comes back on without restarting the bike. I checked connectors in the left hand side and nothing looks burnt, checked all fuses and they're all good, this all started few days after i washed the bike.

I would really appreciate if someone can please guide me the right direction.

thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you're going to have to start at the cluster wiring and follow each wire back looking for a short somewhere. Sorry I'm not more help. Electrical isn't my strong suit but they can be a nightmare to track down.

#3 ·
thanks for your reply Ironhead401, i fixed the issue this morning.

I had over looked the connectors thats connecting the headlight harness to the main harness (behind the left side fairing when you are sitting on the bike)...just looking from the outside i made the assumption that it is in well working order but unfortunately it was not, one of the pins from both side of the connector was very light brown... though i did have hell of a time getting this stupid connector off. Once i had it off it was quite obvious. Dealership wanted to charge me $110/hr and they said its easy 2-4 hour troubleshooting time.. and a min hour time for fixing, all-in-all approx $400.

Im not really happy with Suzuki at the moment... Now, im so happy that its fixed, even light rain didn't stop me from riding today..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.