Newbie with a gear indicator problems - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Newbie with a gear indicator problems

Hi guys,
Had my gsxr 600 k7 for 4 months, last week I started having problems with the gear display , not showing 1st and also displaying the wrong gear. After searching on hear sounded like a common problem, so ordered a new gear sensor, fitted it yesterday and it hasn't solved the problem?

Also at the same time as this problem I noticed that the red key light on the display was always on faintly?? It still flashes like normal after taking the key out, but still stays on constantly but faint.?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:05 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Re: Newbie with a gear indicator problems

Do these problems depend on whether the engine is running or not?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Squid

It's the same weather the engine is on or not, thanks

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Stupid. Who's with me?

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & Million Edition 1000
Garage

Poor connection somewhere between the GPS and display.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:46 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

I agree with TheGeek. Try tracing the wiring between the instrument cluster and the GPS and undo and inspect all in-between connectors. Look for signs of corrosion, overheating, or dirt. Since running the motor doesn't seem to make a difference, this is likely not due to a charging system problem, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to check your charging voltage, since it's simple enough, and a very common problem with your model.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Track Day Winner

Garage

Do you have any mods done to your bike? I have a similar problem on my 071k (Nuetral shows 6 sometimes and stays in 5 after shifting up from 5th so no 6) I'm thinking it has to do something with my TRE/Quickshifter?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Squid

No mods at all. Going to go over the bike in the week and will report back.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Hi guys , just an update which I would like your opinions please.

My bike has been at a dealer today for them to look at. Just for your info, last week when I took it out it stalled a few times and fi was displayed, took it yesterday and strangely all faults disappeared.

So the dealer left me a message, says there's been water ingress into the ecu? Common problem he said? Needs a new one and a new wiring harness.

Mega money, £1000 for the ecu, £650 for the harness and a days labour at £640.. as you can guess I'm not a happy person.

Not sure what to do , haven't had a chat with them yet as they were closed.

Seems a ridiculous amount especially as I went out for an hour ride the day before and it was fine. Not sure if you can repair an Ecu or get a 2nd hand one ?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Stupid. Who's with me?

Garage

Sounds like BS to me.....
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Went to collect my bike back today , main to have a look and decide what I'm going todo.

So they were telling the truth, obviously water has somehow got into the ecu plug and have corroded the pins, two have snapped of and are stuck in the plug.

I'm planning on repairing the plug or worst case get a 2nd hand one.
Just got to source a 2nd hand ecu (if that would work) or bite the bullent and spend £1000 on a new one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7064_1493760968807.jpg (28.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7071_1493760986481.jpg (33.0 KB, 9 views)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 05:05 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000

There's supposed be a rubber seal inside the female part of your plug. If it has the rubber seal, it seems the only way water would get in would be through the harness.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Both OG&I admitted we were wrong on 5/13/15

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM

Can I safely assume you are in the UK? Things over there are more complex than here in the US/Canada. You have a chipped key that is linked to your ECU so you can't just buy an ECU, you also need matching key and ignition and for simplicity, the tail lock and gas lock. You can maybe get the dealer to re-code your key to new ECU if you can convince them the bike is not stolen. I'm in Texas and not too knowledgeable about the alarm/chipped keys so you will want to educate yourself on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Note til mig selv: Ingen her kender dig, de er ikke din ven, du er ikke deres ven, bare hjælpe når du kan og udføre dine ansvar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GSX-R750- built by a man, piloted by a woman.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Hi guys

Another update, really appreciate the help...
I've managed to find a company the sell the 34pin Ecu connector, finally go round too fitting it. Great saved quite a few hundred pound, thought i would just try my ecu (with two broken pins) before I spent £1k on a new one...

Well the bike fired up straight away , and all the problems have disappeared. Haven't actually been for a ride yet as ran out of time , hoping to get out tonight.

BUT could this cause any damage to the bike ?? I've identified what the two pins are the snapped,

NO. 16- power source for back up??
NO. 21- Ignition switch signal
(for E-03,28,33)

What do you guys think before i go for a ride, don't want to cause any damage.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7150_1495211748237.jpg (33.8 KB, 6 views)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:03 PM
Stupid. Who's with me?

Garage

Interesting. 21 is only on the E03, 28, and 33 (Free USA, Canada, Communist USA) The E02, 19 and 24 (UK, EU, Aus) have the imobilizer and don't use the O/Y wire (page 4-14 FSM). Since you're talking about pounds, your bike is probably an E02, so I think that one can be ignored.

Pin 16 on the other hand is curious. The FSM shows pin 17 (4-14 FSM) being only for E02, 19, and 24. There's really no subset diagram that shows pin 16 system connections. The wiring diagram doesn't detail the ECU pin numbers so there's no way to tell where that wire goes. Truly just a secondary power connection to ensure clean power to the ECU? On your bike, what's the wire color on pin 16?

Edit: R/Bl? Based on what I can determine, it's power from the "signal" fuse, #5. Based on this little spot in the diagram, I have a theory. It's a power feed for when the SDS tool is connected. The little black box goes to Pin16. Although all marked black, the first two pins that show a thin loop between them should be direct power connections. The left of this pair is pin 17 and the right is the O/W wire for the ignition system power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-19-2017 2-22-10 PM.jpg (7.1 KB, 12 views)

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Hi ,

Yes I'm in the UK, wire 16 looks like red, with a blue stripe and brown rings.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

This is a photo of the connector as the cables did come out of it , as well as the pins breaking , the left goes to pin 21 of the ecu and the right 16 , I believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7079_1495221829410.jpg (49.8 KB, 6 views)
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2014 GSXR1000
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owengsxr View Post
Hi guys

Another update, really appreciate the help...
I've managed to find a company the sell the 34pin Ecu connector, finally go round too fitting it. Great saved quite a few hundred pound, thought i would just try my ecu (with two broken pins) before I spent £1k on a new one...

Well the bike fired up straight away , and all the problems have disappeared. Haven't actually been for a ride yet as ran out of time , hoping to get out tonight.

BUT could this cause any damage to the bike ?? I've identified what the two pins are the snapped,

NO. 16- power source for back up??
NO. 21- Ignition switch signal
(for E-03,28,33)

What do you guys think before i go for a ride, don't want to cause any damage.

Thanks
Perhaps it's stating the obvious but if the wire is ignition switch signal and the ignition works (bike starts) then can't you just ignore it?

Are the pins broken or just never there on your bike model to start with?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
Interesting. 21 is only on the E03, 28, and 33 (Free USA, Canada, Communist USA) The E02, 19 and 24 (UK, EU, Aus) have the imobilizer and don't use the O/Y wire (page 4-14 FSM). Since you're talking about pounds, your bike is probably an E02, so I think that one can be ignored.

Pin 16 on the other hand is curious. The FSM shows pin 17 (4-14 FSM) being only for E02, 19, and 24. There's really no subset diagram that shows pin 16 system connections. The wiring diagram doesn't detail the ECU pin numbers so there's no way to tell where that wire goes. Truly just a secondary power connection to ensure clean power to the ECU? On your bike, what's the wire color on pin 16?

Edit: R/Bl? Based on what I can determine, it's power from the "signal" fuse, #5. Based on this little spot in the diagram, I have a theory. It's a power feed for when the SDS tool is connected. The little black box goes to Pin16. Although all marked black, the first two pins that show a thin loop between them should be direct power connections. The left of this pair is pin 17 and the right is the O/W wire for the ignition system power.
Thanks for your help, went for a ride last night, everything was fine.
Do you think i could have any issues in the future with the fact no.16 pin is not connected. New to all this , guessing the sds tool is a diagnostic tool.??

Thanks
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:26 AM
Stupid. Who's with me?

Garage

I can't say since the manual doesn't go into what it's for exactly. But, it's there for a reason. Does that reason involve normal operation or for diagnostic systems only? Only suzuki knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode