K9 750 drain bolt....stripped oil pan. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By oldgixxer
  • 2 Post By Just_Nick
  • 2 Post By Just_Nick
  • 1 Post By R_1000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid

K9 750 drain bolt....stripped oil pan.

Ok fine, I did it! Yep stripped my oil pan. I know this topic has been probably covered a considerable amount of times, I too will now join the club and ask for advise. Picked up the fix a thread kit from autozone 14mm x 1.25. I am ready to tap and repair threads but I can't help but wonder:

1. Did I get the correct kit size?
2. What is the correct drain plug bolt size for my k9 750? (Too much conflicting info on size out there)
3. Should I drill out the oil pan? If so, what size drill bit 1/2 inch? Instructions say no drilling required.

I am asking you guys to lend a helping hand before I really screw something up. Looking forward to hearing back from the community. Thanks.
autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/thread-repair/oem-m14-1-25-fix-a-thread-spark-plug-thread-repair-system/141511_0_0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Both OG&I admitted we were wrong on 5/13/15

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM
Re: K9 750 drain bolt....stripped oil pan.

Bolt is 14x20 according to Ron ayers.

RonAyers

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:20 AM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

And how do you plan on doing it?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Squid

[quote=Samantha750;9025354]Bolt is 14x20 according to Ron ayers.

Ronayers.com/oemparts/p/suzuki/09247-14036/plug-oil-drain"]RonAyers

So does that mean my kit is wrong size? Everyone seems to have a different size posted. Am I looking for 14mm x 20mm x 1.5mm?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Using kit to tap out stripped threads, insert steel time cert, then put drain pug in and fill her up with oil.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Squid

I'm looking for any information you guys might know about doing this job. Has anyone done a write up on this process for k9 750?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:21 AM
I CAN tell the difference between a squirrel and a monkey...

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
And how do you plan on doing it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteDmoney View Post
Using kit to tap out stripped threads, insert steel time cert, then put drain pug in and fill her up with oil.
Quote:
I'm looking for any information you guys might know about doing this job. Has anyone done a write up on this process for k9 750?
Drop the exhaust,then remove the oil pan. Repair it on your workbench and not while it's on the bike. You'll need to clean the aluminum shavings/debris from inside the oil pan after the repair. Thats why it needs to come off the bike.
Or go on eBay and buy a used pan. And a torque wrench.
Todd_Sails likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:56 AM
Drunkz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

This is why you need a torque wrench. 16.5-17 ftlbs is all you need.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 AM

Garage

Quote:
That's what I was afraid of. No, you need to pull the oil pan to tap it, then be 100% sure all of the shavings are cleaned out. Then, put in the new drain plug and make sure you don't screw it up. Finally, put the oil pan back on the bike.
Carnage and oldgixxer like this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2003 GSX-R600 (K3?) Alstare

Easyiest fix, is get the 50 dollar KD Tools Ford Triton Spark Plug kit. This is how I fixed my stripped plug. Its stronger than a Helicoil, cause it uses a complete steel insert. And threads to a 14x 1.25? spark plug thread.
Heavily grease the reamer, this will catch shavings. Run the reamer/threader into the hole, Double check the depth available in the hold with a pick. My Y1, and K3 had enough room. Use the red locktite it comes with, its designed to take head, as these are for spark plugs. After threading dump extra oil in to flush and shavings out. Maybe even after stick a shop vac over the hole. Cover the drain plug with vasaline this will act as a release agent so the locktite doesnt lock the bolt to the thread insert.
Use the bolt to thread the insert in, good tight and snug. let it set overnight for best results, I'd leave it for at least an hour if not. back the plug out and your done.

http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench...eader-kit.html
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:12 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetal81 View Post
Easyiest fix, is get the 50 dollar KD Tools Ford Triton Spark Plug kit. This is how I fixed my stripped plug. Its stronger than a Helicoil, cause it uses a complete steel insert. And threads to a 14x 1.25? spark plug thread.
Heavily grease the reamer, this will catch shavings. Run the reamer/threader into the hole, Double check the depth available in the hold with a pick. My Y1, and K3 had enough room. Use the red locktite it comes with, its designed to take head, as these are for spark plugs. After threading dump extra oil in to flush and shavings out. Maybe even after stick a shop vac over the hole. Cover the drain plug with vasaline this will act as a release agent so the locktite doesnt lock the bolt to the thread insert.
Use the bolt to thread the insert in, good tight and snug. let it set overnight for best results, I'd leave it for at least an hour if not. back the plug out and your done.

http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench...eader-kit.html
Or do it the right way and pull the pan, because doing things in a half-ass manner often come back to bite you in the ass. And when that bite in the ass is a destroyed engine, it's really not worth being lazy.

Pulling the pan is not difficult, it is simply time-consuming. Replacing the engine is difficult, time-consuming, and costly.
oldgixxer and XBD like this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Or do it the right way and pull the pan, because doing things in a half-ass manner often come back to bite you in the ass. And when that bite in the ass is a destroyed engine, it's really not worth being lazy.

Pulling the pan is not difficult, it is simply time-consuming. Replacing the engine is difficult, time-consuming, and costly.
This is not a half assed Fix, this is a permanent repair, fixing the flaw of straight aluminium threaded hole. Theres not enought material in the pan for a helicoil repair. proper repair would be to replace the pan itself. I've done dozens of spark plugs with the repair, as well as oil pans. Especially on Volkswagens.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Garage
I did the same and went about it the proper way of removing the headers then oil pan. Took the oil pan to a machine shop and did a wurth insert. It was fine after that.
oldgixxer likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:32 AM
I CAN tell the difference between a squirrel and a monkey...

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
This is not a half assed Fix, this is a permanent repair, fixing the flaw of straight aluminium threaded hole. Theres not enought material in the pan for a helicoil repair. proper repair would be to replace the pan itself. I've done dozens of spark plugs with the repair, as well as oil pans. Especially on Volkswagens.
The fix may be permanent,however the method you describe is not the proper way to repair it. Doesn't make sense to me to leave it on when removal is straight forward and simple.
If it was a spark plug and you faced an all day job having to remove&replace the head,then the method you describe would be an option.

But it's an oil pan,that can be removed in a short amount of time with minimal effort.

To each their own I suppose
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:49 AM
Provisional Novice

10 mins and 50 bucks, or? whats an oil pan worth? plus gasket and time? The last 2 bikes I've had were 20K kms with stripped plugs. Use the steel insert, and it will never happen again. I'd say one thing if you do your own stuff and dont get greedy with drain plugs, but what if you dont or you yourself put a new pan on and end up stripping it again? I've replaced Volkswagen oil pans (smashed off on a rock) and had the customers tell me to put an insert in before putting it back on. A pan will fix it, but your replacing it with the same flaw, the insert corrects that flaw.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2008 SV650S

Quote:
10 mins and 50 bucks, or? whats an oil pan worth? plus gasket and time? The last 2 bikes I've had were 20K kms with stripped plugs. Use the steel insert, and it will never happen again. I'd say one thing if you do your own stuff and dont get greedy with drain plugs, but what if you dont or you yourself put a new pan on and end up stripping it again? I've replaced Volkswagen oil pans (smashed off on a rock) and had the customers tell me to put an insert in before putting it back on. A pan will fix it, but your replacing it with the same flaw, the insert corrects that flaw.
I think the main issue with what you're suggesting is doing the repair with the oil pan still in place, there's no way to know if you've removed all the metal shavings. So to be 100% sure you need to drop the pan, which at that point you could just install a new one and use a torque wrench on the drain plug going forward.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
I think the main issue with what you're suggesting is doing the repair with the oil pan still in place, there's no way to know if you've removed all the metal shavings. So to be 100% sure you need to drop the pan, which at that point you could just install a new one and use a torque wrench on the drain plug going forward.
True enough on the shavings. But no worse than shavings inside an engine cylinder. grease the reamer and it holds a lot. Shop vac the hole, and start flushing with oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode