Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

K6 Gsxr 750 jerks, dies when hot

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GunMetal81 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, my first thread here. Needing some help with my 2006 Gsxr 750
11,000 miles

The bike starts fine, idles fine at 1200 rpm, and rides fine until my engine temps get over 160f. When it gets hot, I can not open the throttle more than a crack and the bike jerks and dies. If I rev high it will jerk and then go, but then I'm at high rpm in gear instantly and then it dies. The bike will then start up again but dies instantly and the problem remains until the bike has set for a day.
My thoughts are on the herky jerky problem with these bikes.

Stock air filter relatively new, not dirty looking
Stock exhaust
New spark plugs
SET cables unhooked and pin number 30 removed from ECU
TPS SET TO right at the top line -C00, problem remained
Then TPS SET by voltage to 1.2v closed and 4.44v WOT, problem remains
Problem remains when holding the kickstand sensor closed
Tip over sensor seems fine, I can ride at any angle until hot
Oil level in the middle of sight glass when bike is upright
Battery charging at 14v at idle, 14.5v at 5k rpm
No FI light when the bike dies.

This is killing me. Please help

Looking into the PAIR mod for help and bypassing the kickstand switch entirely.
The bike rides fine until hot, then it feels like jerky fuel cutoff and back on and off until it dies.
Any thoughts on what else I could check?

See less See more
#4 ·
Check your charging system.

You need to test your stator, reg/rec, and battery according to the service manual.

#5 ·
You're not seeing signs of oil mixing with water and/or the other way round, are you? I'm asking because the temperature at which trouble begins seems to be pretty close to the point where the thermostat would start opening and coolant would start to circulate. Is the temperature at which trouble starts consistent and does the problem develop gradually as the engine warms up or suddenly? When you say it will jerk and die if you crack the throttle open, is that with the gearbox in neutral or the clutch pulled in? How did the problem first appear?

#6 ·
The fuel pump seems the have good pressure and flow, have not checked it with a gauge yet.

This jerking just started happing. My coolant looks fine and so does the oil, so no mixing there. Sometimes it happens after the bike is over 190f and continues until I let sit and the temp drops below 140f.
The jerking starts as a slight "jump jump jump" under low throttle, then more intense 30 seconds later until it just dies. Then it will not run for more than just a start up tease and die.

The jerking is only when in gear, however once it starts and I put the bike in nuetral it still will not stay running.

#7 ·
You say that you've checked the charging system voltage, but have you done so when the engine is hot and malfunctioning? Your model is famous for charging system trouble and a while ago there was a thread with what seemed to be like a fried rectifier that only failed to regulate voltage when hot. Another posibility would be sensor trouble and since your problem is not very subtle you could try to troubleshoot it by simply disconnecting sensors, one at a time and see if the engine will at least run or run better without it. I'd start with the IAP sensor and proceed with the IAT and AP sensors. The engine can run without them, although not well, so if disconnecting any of them makes the situation better further testing and possibly replacement might be in order.

#9 ·
another possibility is injector or Coil failure when hot, See it in cars regularly.
Stone cold take an ohm reading of each, write it down. they should all nearly match ie all injectors 5.8ohms (spitting numbers no OE spec) and all coils 20ohms. if you get one or two that have a big difference those might be your problem area. run it hot to failure and test again, if you are seeing erratic or super low readings you have a hot short inside the coil of the coil/injector.

another but you need an inductive current meter, get a current reading of the pump cold and same, run it hot and take another reading. it will lead you in the same path as a pressure gauge. as the pump gets hot it can get weak, which is read off the current draw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.