Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Rainy stutter

971 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Anthony D 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All

It's been a week since I picked up my K9 and what a ride so far. Keeping the front wheel down is a full time job :grin2:

This morning on my way to work (about 20 minutes in soft rain) the bike started stuttering occasionally. It appears to be OK at steady throttle but as soon as you try and accelerate it starts.

My somewhat obvious guess would be that water is causing the problem, as it has been trouble free for the last week, but where the water is causing havoc is the question. Are there any obvious places to start having a look, electrical connectors, drenched air filter etc. etc.?

I ride damn near every day of the year, so will have to fix whatever it is really well :wink2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oreld22z2oocdch/IMG-20160724-WA0001.jpg?dl=0

Thanks and Peace.

R

#2 ·
Never mind, found the culprit. The previous owner was/is a twit. He installed a dodgy quick shifter (the electronics seems to have been getting wet for a while, there was even a piece of cloth wedged in the little boxy) that is basically busy falling apart and to make matters worse he did a TERRIBLE job with the wiring. I assume he extended the ignition ground cable (haven't popped off the airbox to check) to under the seat, but the cable had a few joints in it where he simply twisted the wires together and taped it closed. Cut it all out and will trace the cable back to it's origin over the week end to complete the "deinstall".

It should be illegal for certain people to handle tools :hammer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.