Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

warped rotors

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  jjman 
#1 ·
Hey guys.
So after upgrading my pads (EBC HH) and brake lines (goodridge braided steel) it seems my rotors have warped. (rotors had 24k kms/ 15k miles on them)

First question is what is people's experience with this? are the K9-11notorious for warping rotors? reason I ask is that Australia is largely out of stock on (decent) replacement rotors making me wonder how much this happens. Also a mechanic I spoke to said he sees this a lot in the modern sportsbikes with powerful brakes and otherwise minimalist rotors to save rotating weight.

Second question is, what experiences and reccomendations do people have a potential replacement rotors? (OEM and BREMBO out of the price range). Ive used MetalGear before and impressed but they are out of stock until February!

cheers

#2 ·
in my past experiences. i have gone with EBC high performance brake pads....with time the brake pads dont wear out fast...but your rotors do. with time they tend to warp making them useless.
again this is from my past experiences. it is better to go with brake pads that are soft on your rotors but with good stopping power.

if you ride on the track...you want high performance.

#4 ·
I always suggest going with either OEM discs or the EBC stock replacement discs. Both are good.

The stock rotors are very good, and hold up well even under race abuse.

Reactions: jjman
#5 ·
well between the decent quality price rotors being out of stock for a long time and otherwise OEM and Brembo just being silly money im going to go for a set of the generic replacement wavy rotors.
They are located in Australia (so next day delivery so I can get the problem solved) and with a 24 month warranty it means that if they aren't up to the task then I can return them. Also at 1/3 of the price of Brembo n OEM stuff, both of which are out of stock in Australia anyway, its hard not to at least give them a try.

Ill let you all know how I get on with them...

#11 ·
I have no proof of this, however I believe really hard stops and keeping the brake applied can cause temperature differences across the rotor leading to warping. This is less likely on a race bike than a street bike.

I looked at some Australian made or imported rotors and they were not symmetrical in design, so I went for others that have a lot of good feedback. They are Chinese I believe and I purchased them from MC Motoparts on eBay. Haven't fitted them yet.

#13 ·
yeah ill be getting the calipers checked.
and of course bedding in the discs.

did you get any of that funny harmonic 'singing' vibration from the wavy discs?
I had them on my K1 1000 a few years back and I had that (only at certain speeds and brake pressure, not all the time) but it annoyed me, and it is a known problem with wavy discs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.