'07 GSXR1000 starting issues - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 29 bikes in collection, mostly classic British Iron
'07 GSXR1000 Make-Run / Refurb after sitting

I'm doing a "make-run" for a client on his presently stock '07 GSXR1000 that has been sitting a couple of years.

The bike has what appears to be a K&N (type) air filter that will be washed and treated, but is otherwise stone stock. Is this a stock filter element? I expected to see a cheap foam unit in the airbox, and was pleasantly surprised to find this.

For what it's worth, he was running the bike formerly with the tailpipes & mufflers removed and said "it was running fine". I wonder about that...

A couple of questions:

The owner mentioned a recall on the front brake master cylinder; his is a mess and leaks fluid, won't bleed. New one on the way. Anyone know if that recall is still in force?

On turning on the key, everything seems to power up, I don't see any error code, but I see a red flashing oil light. Is that normal till oil pressure comes up, or is that some other indication? (if engine is NOT running, computer ought to know there won't be any oil pressure, I would think)

Owner reported having intermittent issues with starter, I can't get a response from the button. If I jump the starter solenoid across, the engine cranks, but it's not firing. What gives, or is it just needing to re-pressurize the fuel system after sitting so long? (I'm a carb kinda guy, first time working with EFI). Also, why does this new stuff have to be so overly complicated? With classic bikes you only need two wires to the starter button, this one's got four...

Okay, that's it for starting issues, thanx for any help y'all can provide here.

Last edited by grandpaul; 04-13-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 12:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K5 1000
Re: '07 GSXR1000 starting issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaul View Post
I'm doing a "make-run" for a client on his presently stock '07 GSXR1000 that has been sitting a couple of years.

The bike has what appears to be a K&N (type) air filter that will be washed and treated, but is otherwise stone stock. Is this a stock filter element? I expected to see a cheap foam unit in the airbox, and was pleasantly surprised to find this.
Aftermarket filter

Quote:
The owner mentioned a recall on the front brake master cylinder; his is a mess and leaks fluid, won't bleed. New one on the way. Anyone know if that recall is still in force?
Yes and check if there are other open recalls for that bike.

Quote:
On turning on the key, everything seems to power up, I don't see any error code, but I see a red flashing oil light. Is that normal till oil pressure comes up, or is that some other indication? (if engine is NOT running, computer ought to know there won't be any oil pressure, I would think)
It shouldn't flash but it does stay on until the engine is running.

Quote:
Owner reported having intermittent issues with starter, I can't get a response from the button. If I jump the starter solenoid across, the engine cranks, but it's not firing. What gives, or is it just needing to re-pressurize the fuel system after sitting so long? (I'm a carb kinda guy, first time working with EFI). Also, why does this new stuff have to be so overly complicated? With classic bikes you only need two wires to the starter button, this one's got four...
Did you pull the clutch when you tried to start?
Todd_Sails likes this.
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JK750- View Post
Aftermarket filter

Yes and check if there are other open recalls for that bike.

It shouldn't flash but it does stay on until the engine is running.

Did you pull the clutch when you tried to start?
Filter - Good to know.

Recalls - will check, thanx.

Flashing light - Time will tell...

Pull clutch lever in - Yes, and it was in neutral, and the kickstand was down. I suppose I can bypass all that money motion to ensure it's not a bad safety switch...

I like this forum - good answers in minutes!

post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:29 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

The red LED is a general fault indicator. It is accompanied by other indicators to determine exactly what's wrong. Low oil pressure will also turn on an oil can icon just above the LED. The low oil pressure circuit runs independently of the ECM. It's not uncommon for the STOP switch terminals to corrode if the bike been sitting for a while. You could disassemble the switch to check but before you do I suggest that you look at the figure on 9-12 of the service manual. The O/W lead provides 12 V to the ECM. You can check it at a white 6 pin connector beneath the seat that's known as the dealer mode connector. You can work backwards if you don't have power there. Also there's a nearby black 8 pin connector that has an R lead. It's the 5 V power to the sensors from the ECM and would be an indication that the ECM has power and is working (at least partially).
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
It's not uncommon for the STOP switch terminals to corrode ...
"STOP" switch? You mean brake light switch, or sidestand switch?

Anyone able to post a link to a color-coded wiring diagram and save me a bit of search time?

Meanwhile, I'll google it.

Thanx.
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:
"STOP" switch? You mean brake light switch, or sidestand switch?

Anyone able to post a link to a color-coded wiring diagram and save me a bit of search time?

Meanwhile, I'll google it.

Thanx.
I think Bill V (the guru) means the kill switch on the Rt hand grip, just left of the throttle, should be a red switch. On my 05, it has to toggle toward the bike for it to run.
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_Sails View Post
I think Bill means the kill switch on the Rt hand grip,
Definitely in the "RUN" position.
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Both OG&I admitted we were wrong on 5/13/15

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM

Just skimmed the thread but if the red light is blinking, bike will not start. Is FI flashing on screen? This is from the K8 750 owners manual

post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000

Golden advise "Download the service manual"
The best mechanics all have access to service manuals or at least ones who don't turn a single job into a career.
post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Might be that the battery voltage is too low, corrosion in kill switch, clutch switch is not working properly, Tip-over switch could be giving you issues, etc.
post #11 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:06 PM

^I meant the engine stop switch, at least that's what Suzuki refers to it as. There's no color wiring diagram for K7/K8. There is for K5/K6 (standalone) and K9 (service manual). There's a fair amount of commonality between them but you might be better off with the B&W diagrams at the back of the K7/K8 service manual. Samantha's right about the red LED blinking. But that's a somewhat obscure condition where the fuel injection system has failed in a manner that is so severe that the ECM won't allow the engine to run (something like the camshaft position sensor isn't working) and the engine is being cranked - or at least that's how I understand it. Unless the bike has been abused by a hamfisted owner/mechanic, I still suspect that you have a simpler problem that can be quickly tracked down with a voltmeter and figure 9-12.

Does the fuel pump prime (run for several seconds - easily heard) when you turn the ignition and STOP switches on? If you don't know what I'm referring to, search through the youtube videos for some where the bike gets started. The sound is well known. The pump, actually the fuel pump relay, is controlled by the ECM so it won't happen if the ECM isn't getting power (or is bad).
post #12 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:19 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Quote:
Do you see a flashing 'FI' at the lower right of the display, 'CHEC', or the coolant temperature?
post #13 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

I re-check exactly what display indications and lights I get when I install the new, properly serviced and trickle-charged battery in a couple of days.

I'll also download the manual and look it over. I've found in the last few years it's actually easier to cut through the fog and go to a well-staffed / well-attended forum and get the known proper fixes from the guys who've seen it a hundred times.

The local Kaw/Suz/Yam/Hon dealership is a bad joke.

Yes, the fuel pump comes on and primes the injectors when the key is turned on, just like my son's bikes and several other EFI bikes I've ridden, so I knew that wasn't the issue.

It's definitely down to the blinking red light and whatever trouble code the system reveals.

Thanx a ton, folks. THIS appears to be one of the best forums I've been on, and that's well over 20 brand and/or model-specific forums in nearly 20 years. Great to be here!
post #14 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:13 AM

I was skeptical of the red LED blinking but maybe that's where you are. If the fuel pump primes, there's power to the ECM and it's functioning. See 4-17 in the service manual. Please confirm but you seem to be at the *2 condition. Check that FI is displayed on the cluster. If so, it's time for dealer mode (4-18). You really ought to have a dealer mode switch but search here for how to jumper the pins on the dealer mode connector. Then read the codes and decode them via chapter 4.

"With classic bikes you only need two wires to the starter button, this one's got four..." The extra wires are for power to the headlights. In addition to sending power to the starter solenoid, the start switch also cuts power to the headlights when it's pressed.
post #15 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
I was skeptical of the red LED blinking but maybe that's where you are. If the fuel pump primes, there's power to the ECM and it's functioning. See 4-17 in the service manual. Please confirm but you seem to be at the *2 condition. Check that FI is displayed on the cluster. If so, it's time for dealer mode (4-18). You really ought to have a dealer mode switch but search here for how to jumper the pins on the dealer mode connector. Then read the codes and decode them via chapter 4.

"With classic bikes you only need two wires to the starter button, this one's got four..." The extra wires are for power to the headlights. In addition to sending power to the starter solenoid, the start switch also cuts power to the headlights when it's pressed.
Thanx for the tips, I appreciate it. Great idea to cut the headlight for the starter to operate, but I thought they had an engine speed sensor that kept the headlight off till the engine was at least idling...

Turns out the fuel pump is NOT working, I could hear a buzzing, but I pulled the pump assembly apart to clean it (yikes, what a bloody mess that was), and then direct wired it to a known good battery and it produced a serious arc, got hot, and gave up. Now won't do squat (possibly burned out an internal wire).

New fuel pump assembly on order. I suppose I could have cleaned up and rebuilt the component and just replaced the actual pump motor, but there is an internal doohicky (shouldered cylinder with an internal spring and who knows what else) that is apparently frozen/clogged. That's probably what messed up the pump motor.

So, "bad news / good news"...

GrandPaulZ
Author "Old Bikes"
Sole Proprietor "Born Again Bikes"
post #16 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:32 PM

There's also some quieter buzzing associated with the ECM cycling the EXCVA (SET valve actuator) and the secondary throttle valve. Perhaps that was what you were hearing. The fuel pump is much louder.

"yikes, what a bloody mess that was"

The fuel to the injectors must be very clean. It's a bad sign if the pump has crap around the base - if that's what you mean. Otherwise removing the pump is fairly easy as long as you first get the gas out of the tank. Not sure but your doohicky might be the pressure regulator. Bad sign if it's crapped up. In any event, pumps are expensive so pay attention to what you're doing. Even the filter is around $100. There are replacement pump motors on ebay. But I can't speak to their quality. The Mitsubishi T35 motor is a fairly sophisticated design IMO.

By the way, the pump motor is cooled by gas circulating through it. Don't run it dry.
post #17 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

The shouldered gizmo is a "regulator", and since it's stuck, that would explain everything. Bike Bandit & ebay have them at $120 - WOW!

I got a complete assembly, like new, for $150 shipped.
post #18 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Yes, there was a mess in the tank, now thoroughly cleaned and flushed (I love Simple Green cleaner).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170403_134337.jpg (71.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20170403_134358.jpg (79.0 KB, 10 views)
post #19 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:58 PM

^Jesus H. Christ. Does he get his gas at a tar pit?

There isn't that much to the regulator. But Suzuki only sells it with the main filter and that's where the money is.
Todd_Sails likes this.
post #20 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Bike sat for over 2 years (maybe 3); that's what happens when condensation builds up with corn squeezin's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode