K7/K8 GSXR1000 ECU Flashing - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Novice

Motorcycle: 00 Turbo Hayabusa / 08 Turbo Hayabusa
K7/K8 GSXR1000 ECU Flashing

Hello everyone,

This is Greg Smith (smithabusa) from boostbysmith.com. I signed up as a vendor today. Petrik recently put up a post regarding ECU flashing potential for the K7/K8 GSXR1000's that up until now wasn't possible. The software is available for download for free to check out, and you can build hardware yourself or I make pre-tested hardware that is plug and play, no wire splicing, you just have to insert 2 ecu pins into the ecu connector where empty spots are now, and same on the 8 pin black yosh connector.

This was the post from petrik originally.

Happy 2011 new year for everyone ...

First trials with gixxer ecu proved to be somewhat succesful... for more info please see below...

Fuelmap tuning... including MS0/MS1 maps for e.g. nitrous use

Setting Limiters, removing top speed limiter

Ignition map tuning, different MS0/MS1 maps for e.g. nitrous or race fuel

Edit - Lets add that also enginedata is working with gixxers showing all error codes from memory or run time as well as ability to monitor all key sensors when dynoing the bike.

Install as for Hayabusa from http://www.ecueditor.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Novice

Motorcycle: K7 GSXR-1000
Re: K7/K8 GSXR1000 ECU Flashing

Great info! Where to buy the connector?
post #3 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Amateur

www.boostbysmith.com
post #4 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Rookie

Motorcycle: '82 GPz550

Are you going to require to users upload and publicly share their maps in order to unlock features the way you did with the Busa?
post #5 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Back Marker

Motorcycle: GSX1300R K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRacer View Post
Are you going to require to users upload and publicly share their maps in order to unlock features the way you did with the Busa?
Hi Marlin - great to see you (the man who hacked the first motorcycle ecu to my knowledge) active around here. I have been wondering where you are as it has been so quiet. We all really must thank you for helping us to see the flashing as it has evolved today and recognize you as the grandfather of ecuhacking.

I am answering on behalf of Greg as he is not really involved with software, he only selling the interfaces (which I have heard works with your K5-6 stuff also.)

Anyway sounds like things have evolved since you last time looked at our software, so lets answer to the question:

There was a licensing enforced map sharing up to v1.5 if I remember correctly. That was removed based on feedback from the user community. Around the same time I started a policy to publish the sourcecode with gnu open freeware licensing. Today we are up to version 2.5 which has a shared open software codebase in bitbucket (so everyone who can visual basic or c-languge) are more than welcome to participate. There are 3 key developers of the ecueditor software now, all of us committed to gnu licensing. The gixxer area is new to us, we just developed that because there is a great demand for turbofuelling module from the local drag racing community. Our team is focusing on niche dragracing tools, not roadracing at all which some of the readers may find disappointing.

Those of you who dont know the history - we worked together with Marlin on gen1 busas and it was early days with gen2 busas our ways departed as he decided not anymore to participate to an open free community based development project. Regardless of that I appreciate his efforts highly as the grand old man of the flashing. I am also looking forward to hear what new he may bring to the market.
post #6 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Novice

Motorcycle: ex-K6 1000(best bike ever), ZX14 07(got rid of that piece of junk), white Busa 08,gsxr 1000 k8

Does it also works for EURO gsxr 1000 k7-k8(not the same ecu as US)?

If yes, does it also work for the french restricted(78kw) ecu? (restriction is eliminated by cutting one wire(secondary butterflies) from the "french" ecu) ?
post #7 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredhead View Post
Does it also works for EURO gsxr 1000 k7-k8(not the same ecu as US)?

If yes, does it also work for the french restricted(78kw) ecu? (restriction is eliminated by cutting one wire(secondary butterflies) from the "french" ecu) ?
I live in EU so I think that answers to the first part of the question. The far as I know and can assume about the french limitations you could derestrict the bike by flashing a german image and put restriction back by flashing the french image.

Havent you gixxer guys used cutting MS wire as the way to derestrict ? Secondaries are useful for low end torque so I would rather do that...
post #8 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Novice

Motorcycle: ex-K6 1000(best bike ever), ZX14 07(got rid of that piece of junk), white Busa 08,gsxr 1000 k8

thx for the reply.
if we cut the wire(which is responsible for the restriction) from the french ecu,then the sec butterflies are able to open "fully". With the wire installed, the sec butterflies will open just minimal on full throttle.>the euro "full power" ecu is different than the euro "restricted" ecu
post #9 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetriK View Post
I live in EU so I think that answers to the first part of the question. The far as I know and can assume about the french limitations you could derestrict the bike by flashing a german image and put restriction back by flashing the french image.

Havent you gixxer guys used cutting MS wire as the way to derestrict ? Secondaries are useful for low end torque so I would rather do that...
When derestricting hayabusas we cut the MS wire which enables the full power maps still leaving STP operational for the low rpm torque. I would guess the same works with gixxers too keeping the bike more crisp at the bottom end but derestricting the top end.

When you make or get the flashing unit you can verify if the MS1 maps are similar between restricted and non restricted models enabling the MS wire derestricting method for better low end.
post #10 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Rookie

I believe the same programming interface can also be used with the Suzuki SDS software.

Does your circuit diagram use the white eight pin plug or does it connect straight to the ECU? If it's the latter how do you monitor the bike whilst it is running?

Thanks.
post #11 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Back Marker

What we usually do is that we utilize the yoshbox connector and wire two additional wires between yosh plug and the ecu. That way the harness remains intact and flashing is enabled for a stock ecu just by plugging the harness to the white sds and black yosh connector.

In this link you can see the hayabusa yoshbox wiring as its most commonly used by quite many dyno stations in USA and elsewhere:
http://macmadigan.no-ip.com/Public/g...n2rewiring.jpg

The software has in addition to normal fuel and ignition map tuning as well as limiters adjustment and top speed limiter removal (which all is now avail for gixxer) also includes (and remember all this is free, all you need is a cable which you can either buy or build yourself):
- Quickshifter module with preloaded autoshifting capability
- Turbofuel module which requires changing the pressure sensor to GM3 bar sensor and an fuel pump upgare, but is known to make over 350hp with otherwise stock fuelsystem (on hayabusas). This has boost pressure adjustment per gear and ramp up per gear, even though we may go for just one rampup rate in in the future for more constant track results.
- Nitrous module which allows setting nitrous shot per gear, ramp up rates per gear etc, known to be good for well over 200hp with all stock fuel system and up to 300+hp with upgraded fuelpump (on hayabusas).
- The newest development is launch control system that we are currently working on sensing the RPM/SEC ramp rate from crankshaft and using ignition advance to set up the limiters.
- Autotuning module, which is just in its simplest form usinig stock components and a laptop or can add basically any wideband for more accurate tuning.

As the software is open source freeware, it only takes someone with a bit of a geek mindset from gixxer community to join us and start compiling these features for gixxers.

By telling about this I hope to find some persons with visual basic and c-language skills with gixxers to join the core team to bring this kind of functionality for gixxers too - if you gixxer guys are interested to get some of this kind of features from the suzuki superbike brothers.

Hope this answers to your questions over pm:s and publicly ...
post #12 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Track Day Winner

So, this module and the software wil work on the K7/8 1000's and the busas right? I asked because the website references the busas

Last edited by dbl07; 01-04-2011 at 10:48 PM.
post #13 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Track Day Winner

Also by removing the gear limiters which also removes the speed limiter, does it allow the shift indicator light on the K7 Gixxers to display the correct gears. In other words, some TREs cause the gear indicator to read 5th even if the bike is in 6th gear.
post #14 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbl07 View Post
Also by removing the gear limiters which also removes the speed limiter, does it allow the shift indicator light on the K7 Gixxers to display the correct gears. In other words, some TREs cause the gear indicator to read 5th even if the bike is in 6th gear.
Yes, today Gixxers 1K K7-K8 and busa gen1, gen2 and bking. No intention to go to smaller bikes at least right now. It is possible that we look into K9-K10.

Yes, keeps the gear display of course.
post #15 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Back Marker

I get some questions over pm:s. To share the information I would like to encourage to post the questions here on the forum in public, like:

Quote:
I am interested in building the interface cable myself but am a little confused by the circuit diagram. The USB end has me guessing a bit with the pin outs as the pin out chart I have does not seem to match??
The USB cable that the D.I.Y. interface is designed for is FTDI USB 232R cable (5 Volts version). The colors in the above schematic match to that cable colors.

Last edited by PetriK; 01-05-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Same message twice - used second one for a new posting
post #16 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Track Day Winner

I am very interested in your software and have a couple of quick questions…

What advantages does the Yosh EMPRO ecu and software have over your software and stock ECU?

Can any quick shifter unit hock up to the stock ECU with your software like a Bazzaz or Dynojet unit? (Just sensor on the shifter)

Can your software adjust the engine back torque reducer like the empro?

Thanks Greg
post #17 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Novice

Motorcycle: 00 Turbo Hayabusa / 08 Turbo Hayabusa

Ill be honest, i dont know much about the yosh stuff, I am a busa guy, and dont recall seeing that type of product for busa.

ECU Flashing allows fuel & ignition tuning, as well as de-restriction currently on the 1000. The quick shifter code hasn't been adopted to the GSXR1000 yet, but you could use any type of switch you wanted, dano's performance like i sell, cordona, dynojet, etc.

Do you have details on adjusting back torque limiter? I am not familiar with this at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcally View Post
I am very interested in your software and have a couple of quick questions…

What advantages does the Yosh EMPRO ecu and software have over your software and stock ECU?

Can any quick shifter unit hock up to the stock ECU with your software like a Bazzaz or Dynojet unit? (Just sensor on the shifter)

Thanks Greg
post #18 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcally View Post
It does this primarily by controlling the idle speed control valve and secondary butterflies on a closed throttle.
post #19 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: K1 1000, K7 750

I am curious as to whether the memory mapping for all GSXr is the same for the location of fuel, ignition, sensor and other tables?

If it is not, are all of the tables in the same relative locations in memory? So once you recognise for example the radiator fan set points, everything else will line up.
post #20 of 484 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Back Marker

Seems that many gsx-r1000 ecus share the same location, anyhow e.g. empro is completely different in structure. Adding one ecu for fuel map, ignition map and limiters tuning is about 2-4 hours of work. The real work comes when more advanced features are needed. For Gixxers K7- and newers I have made a commitment to local dragracing community to implement the turbofuel and shifter functionality so that can be expected during now this year before drag racing season starts over here.

About the earlier question - Empro has some RR functionality, like low speed limiter. Ecueditor low speed limiter (for Hayabusas) works when clutch is pulled in, so that would need to be slighly modified. Our angle has so far been dragracing and bring in functionality like 2step RPM limiter and slew rate RPM limiter that the dragracing community enjoys. So its a bit unfair to compare.

Please install the software and check out the hayabusa gen2 version of everything that is possible.

About the idle speed and particularly stp control, there is a lot of maps for finetuning those on the stock ecu.

Last edited by PetriK; 01-06-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode