Want LED headlights, but from where? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Want LED headlights, but from where?

I ordered these for a new 2006 GSXR 1k

(im too new to post amazon links so the product I got was "Win Power H1 LED Headlight CREE Bulbs Conversion Kits + Canbus (1 Pair)-2 Year Warranty"
you can search that it will take you to the amazon link
My buddy has them on his 04 cbr 1k, and they look awesome! I looked up the size and found our bike has the H7 bulb, but not realizing the highbeam is a 9008 or something. Either way, this kits connection has the adapter board connected to the bulb, so I don't see how you could possibly install it anyway on these bikes, being there is a cap that screws around the entire assembly for the bulbs.

Is there a kit somewhere online that has everything I need in one package?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:47 AM
Squid

Re: Want LED headlights, but from where?

I always prefer amazon for this kinds of products . They have variety of choices and I can see owner's feelings . And also it is the most reliable name for purchase .
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:13 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

LED headlights aren't popular here. For the high beam, just switch to a 9011 HIR. Some minor rework of the bulb base is required, as is shown in the link. But it's rather easy and is nearly a plug in. Beware that there are 9011 bulbs that aren't HIR and aren't any brighter. I'm still running the discontinued Toshiba bulbs. They were originally made in Japan but I see that there are some Chinese made Toshiba's on ebay. GE invented the HIR technology and I think that their bulbs were first used on early Dodge Vipers. They have a strange shape and are long discontinued but someone on ebay came by a stash of them.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Ok Thanks, I'll order them now and figure out what to do for the main H7 light. I mean really, these bikes have terrible stock lights IMO. hopefully this helps
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Ok so I got the 9011 HIR bulb for my brights and it did make a nice difference, although my low beam bulb is a JOKE, I mean at night it almost impossible to see without the brights.

does anyone know if this bulb will work for my low beams and work ok?

Osram Rallye Lamp Discontined - INTRODUCING VOSLA (27428 ) H7 55W +100 "Super Brite Light"

Thanks
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 AM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

If you cannot see with your low-beam, replace the bulb. I have ridden around in dark areas with no lights and it does just fine. Your housing is not designed for LED bulbs, and they will be inferior to a proper halogen bulb.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:34 PM

Haven't tried the Vosla but Candlepower is a credible seller, so I'd say it's worth a try. I have a 35 W HID as low beam. It's not a drop-in replacement like the high beam. It suits my needs but others here don't like HID unless the whole bulb/reflector assembly is replaced.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

I turn off my brights and seriously, there is no way people just roll around like this, its really really dim.

I never heard of a bulb just losing brightness, I was always under the impression its either working, or its not.

Are we saying the bulb could have lost some brightness?

Thanks
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:53 PM

That sounds more like an electrical problem. The contacts in the big connector inside the left front cowling can go bad. It would help if you could measure the voltage at the bulb.

If other things are working, it would not be a bad ground. The low beam is W and B/Br on either side of the connector.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:48 PM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Sounds like the low beam is just out (due to a failed bulb, or electrical problem) and only the 5W running lights are on.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
That sounds more like an electrical problem. The contacts in the big connector inside the left front cowling can go bad. It would help if you could measure the voltage at the bulb.

If other things are working, it would not be a bad ground. The low beam is W and B/Br on either side of the connector.

I ordered a new bulb, should be here Friday so this weekend I'll check and take voltage, but its definitely dim, Maybe pictures could help too.

Also side note, not sure if its normal, but when downshifting, the headlights will dim slightly, just for a split second.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapavas View Post
Sounds like the low beam is just out (due to a failed bulb, or electrical problem) and only the 5W running lights are on.
no, the light is not out at all and don't get me wrong, if you look at it from the front of the bike, its bright, it just doesn't light up the street for shit.
Unless you mean the running light is the same bulb some how? those two other lights on the outside are working too.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:00 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfedd View Post
no, the light is not out at all and don't get me wrong, if you look at it from the front of the bike, its bright, it just doesn't light up the street for shit.
Unless you mean the running light is the same bulb some how? those two other lights on the outside are working too.
No, if you see the bulb lit, then it's working, at least partially. A voltage test would be useful as has been suggested, to see if it's getting the power it should. Any chance the lens is just degraded somehow, blocking part of the light?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:35 AM

If it's dim due to not getting enough power, the beam color should shift from white towards yellow. That should be visibly apparent. But a voltmeter will tell all. The low beam has a shield that can come loose (with difficulty). At a stretch, possibly yours has moved around. Have no knowledge of dimming when downshifting. That is suspicious.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

I read about the dimming last night, its normal apparently from many people on this forum. Rectifier adjusting the voltage apparently. Battery voltage 12.5 with engine off and 13.9-14.xx while running.

I'll check the voltage at the bulb before I install the new one.. BTW its yellowish for sure!!!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:21 PM

^Dimming under those conditions is believable but that's very different from a downshift.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
^Dimming under those conditions is believable but that's very different from a downshift.
I guess coming from speed to a stop,I can't explain it right, lol
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

So I took the old bulb out and put in a Philips X-treme Vision H7 130% brighter bulb.
I took voltage reading and it is @ 12v (11.95v to be exact)
I put the new bulb in and you can clearly see a difference, the pictures suck for an example, but

BEFORE

AFTER

It's hard to tell from the daylight pics, I can tell you the color difference is night and day, its bright white.

Its still not great though and without my brights I pretty much cannot see infront of me. So what I realized, it needs to be calibrated, the normal headlight bulb is aiming way high and not on the road, maybe the previous owner did this on purpose to shine more into people's line of view?

I might adjust it, I might not, I pretty much ride around only with my brights on, day or night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode