Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

New here and hoping somone can help

836 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  BillV 
#1 ·
I have an 06 Gsxr1000. I installed and Hid ballast and bulb. Ever since I installed it when I start the bike the light comes on for a few seconds then turns off. I have to cycle the key a couple times and when it finally stays on it will not turn off unless the bike is turned off. It doesnt always do it but much of the time it does. Now I have tried 2 other ballast and bulb conversion kits that a friend had to ensure it is nit a bad ballast and it does the same thing with all. So i then tried looking for a short so re did the ground and re wired the connections on the wiring to the ballast and from the balast to the bulb itself. I inspected all the wiring to make sure no melted wireds or shorts anywhere. And still the same problem. I do know that hid bulbs pulled alot more amps at startup then during normal operation so I think this may be the cause because again when it does turn on and stay on I have never had it turn off or flicker in any way. I also have no other electrical issues any where else on the bike or atleast not that are causing any issues that I can see.
Its really annoying that every time I start the bike I have to ensure the lights on and if not cycle the key a few times till it stays on.

If anyway knows what this could be or has any ideas or seen the same thing please let me know. Id like to have the bike fully ready to go by this spring.
Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome mate , while I know quite a bit about bikes I'm no good with electric drama's ... I'm sure someone that does will chime in.

Or better yet start a thread in forum section for your model/year bike and that will get an answer faster !!!

#3 ·
I'd ditch the HIDs altogether and go back to the stock setup. In your case, they're obviously more work than they're worth.

Welcome to Gixxer.com BTW. Care to tell us about your riding background?

#5 ·
We need more information about the details of your installation, i.e. what brand and how/where it was installed. HIDs used to draw lots of current during turn-on but modern systems don't.

Power to the headlights is cut when the start button is pressed. So lights that are on should go off while cranking. Or is your HID not drawing power through the low or high beam fuses?

"...when I start the bike the light comes on for a few seconds then turns off. I have to cycle the key a couple times and when it finally stays on it will not turn off unless the bike is turned off"
This doesn't make that much sense. Is the HID on and turns off while the engine is running? Turning off when the bike is turned off, more exactly when the ignition switch is turned to OFF, is just what should happen. Are you cycling the key while the engine is running? The light should come on when the ignition switch is turn on. It should stay on when the stop switch is turned to RUN. Then it should go out while the START button is pressed but come back on once the button is released, at which point the engine should be running.

#6 ·
You need a time delay relay, which is a very good idea on pretty much all vehicles.

When wired correctly thru the relay there is no power to the ballasts for about 10 seconds. This allows start up of the vehicle, and then power to the ballasts correcting all flicker issues and bulb life issues.

#7 ·
OP I am having the same issue as u. BillV is correct in that the lights should stay off until the bike starts. In my case I have changed my throttle to a motion pro and I had to change the stock kill/ start switch to aftermarket to get it to fit on the clip ons. I believe the stock start switch keeps the lights off when cranking which the aftermarket does not do. What I think the problem is that the stock wiring for the lights is not heavy enough to keep the ballasts powered properly and any extra draw on the system ie cranking the engine and the light goes out. I'm not sure if you have an issue with the high beam but I do. It also does not want to come on at times or just putting on a signal can cause it to go out.
My solution this winter is to wire the lights with heavier wire directly to the battery and use a relay that is connected to the light circuit to control their on/ off. i'm hoping this will solve the problem as the HID lights do give far more light than the stock system which is nice when riding at night down back roads. I did not have this problem on my 04 1000. The 05-06 seems to be a different animal.
Any input here from others here is welcome.

#9 ·
Unless you swapped a projector into your headlight, all you're doing is throwing useless light everywhere and blinding people. If you want more light, swap in a projector or get a hotter halogen bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.