Battery Weight? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000
Garage
Battery Weight?

Yes, I did the search thingy on this subject.

Just thought I'd make a few comments and read a few replies on the subject.

First off, I understand wt. is wt., whether sprung, unsprung, etc.

I'd like to add that I found it comical when one of our beloved suppliers/sponsors posted in/around 2009ish that the LIthium Ion batteries where unreliable, and not worth it, and they were't carrying them- to a post on a different thread a few years later how not only did they carry them and recommend them- that's what he used in his bike also!- I don't want to link those posts though- just found it kinda cool that as the products got better, etc.

OK, so to MY battery-
It's a Chinese one, sealed- NO breather hose- NOT lithium, etc.
It's out of the bike in my hall closet.
I weighed myself with and without the battery- just under 6#'s!
Then I looked up my product on the net, and it states shipping wt is
5.5#'s.

So I tried and research the Wt of a lithium Ion battery for my bike- and while most all the site don't actually post the actual Wt., from other posts, etc.- it seems to be about 1.6-2#'s ?

So for my application: ~ 3-4 #'s less.

While that is significant, not enough for ME and what I do on my bike to justfiy ~ 6 x the price.
I also understand they are supposed to last longer- making the price difference much better in the long run.
If it were 2-3 x the price; WHEN I NEEDED a new battery- it might have been an option.

* I'm not reeming anyone for using a lithium battery- oh no.
Please do't get defensive if you are- IMHO- smart choice and I'm glad you can afford it.

Care to post your thoughts?

K5 R1000
Yoshi Carbon exhaust
TRE mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:29 AM
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...

Motorcycle: K1 600
Re: Battery Weight?

You had a whole conversation with yourself in that post. What else do you want to know?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR 1100, 1980 Kaw Z1R, 1980 CBX

I've been using Shorai batteries in my bikes. They crank faster, last longer, and generally hold a charge thru the winter months.
I'm not going back to lead/acid. Have a bikemaster Lithium Battery in a recently restored '81 KZ 550 LTD (cool little bike should
make a great classic cruiser or good first bike for someone) . I won't get another. Cheaper than a Shorai but IMO they nickel and dime you on a $1.50 or $2.00 adapter kit to make it easy to connect the battery cables. Probably won't get another of those. My two cents.

have a great one-
bill

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

The tiny weight gain advantage does not even come close to outweighing the disadvantages of such a battery, except in something like a track vehicle.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
The tiny weight gain advantage does not even come close to outweighing the disadvantages of such a battery, except in something like a track vehicle.
Well I guess the cost is a disadvantage but I gladly pay more for the extra cranking power, longer life,
and inability to spill acid which eventually rusts the battery box and stains everything it hits. Each to
his own.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bille7 View Post
Well I guess the cost is a disadvantage but I gladly pay more for the extra cranking power, longer life,
and inability to spill acid which eventually rusts the battery box and stains everything it hits. Each to
his own.
Versus the possibility of the battery exploding like a Note 7, because those batteries are intrinsically unstable? I'll take rust.
Also, whatever you're doing is wrong. I've never had a battery spill acid in all of the years I've dealt with motorcycles, including when I crashed my motorcycle and it was in a ravine, on its side, for multiple hours on end.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2014 GSXR1000
Garage

Spotted this online, 100 (around $120) doesn't seem too bad:

YT12-ABS Lithium Ion Battery - Lithium Ion Batteries - Motorcycle Batteries - Maintenance | Bykebitz

With these, can you not just leave them in the bike as normal, do you have to charge them?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Likes to race old junk.

Motorcycle: Vintage and New

Sports Power

I like Deka's for the street...a little on the heavy side but leak proof, spill proof, lots of CCA etc. I've found them to be dependable and long lasting, where as the OEM/replacements seemed to be seasonal at best.

I think there is a place for light weight batteries, lithium or otherwise...on an actual race bike, that gets maintained between rounds.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:25 PM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

I don't see why one should bother about cranking power, since any problems cranking the motor I've ever experienced were the result of underlying conditions, which a battery delivering more current would just have covered up. Perhaps I'm overseeing something and, in any case, personal preference will vary.

Weight benefits, while certainly important in certain scenarios, can be simulated, by keeping a couple of litres less fuel in the tank on average. I've never felt much of a benefit in keeping fuel low in my daily use of my bike, so spending a lot of money to get equipment to the same end (and then worry about its quality) doesn't seem justified.

Maintenance might be easier, due to the smaller discharge rate (although in my case of daily use it has never been much of a concern anyway).

Apart from the high price, another reason I've never considered a lithium battery is that no mention of how it's made compatible with the bike's charging system is made, at least as far as I've seen, causing me concerns over reliability, or worse, safety.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Versus the possibility of the battery exploding like a Note 7, because those batteries are intrinsically unstable? I'll take rust.
Also, whatever you're doing is wrong. I've never had a battery spill acid in all of the years I've dealt with motorcycles, including when I crashed my motorcycle and it was in a ravine, on its side, for multiple hours on end.
What do you mean "whatever you're doing is wrong"?? Battery acid stains are commonplace on bikes with lead acid batteries and the same can be said for cars. That's why acid based bike batteries use drain hoses- to vent gas or acid should it boil over or need to vent. If a careless person should route the hose incorrectly, leave
it off altogether, or pinch the hose so it can't drain or vent that's one thing, but it's not a likelihood with Li bats, and I've never heard of a bike/racecar lithium battery exploding and burning someone's cojones off. have you?? You want to use acid based batteries, more power to ya! go at it.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 2011 gsxr750
Battery Weight?

I have an alien motion 6 cell battery on my bike . It's pretty damn sweet . Weighs peanuts compared to the stock units . I have a GPS and log box attached to it .

I brought it back to life from 2.4v last year and haven't had issues. Left my GPS on and it drained the battery .

Last edited by Motionelco; 01-08-2017 at 03:18 PM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bille7 View Post
What do you mean "whatever you're doing is wrong"?? Battery acid stains are commonplace on bikes with lead acid batteries and the same can be said for cars. That's why acid based bike batteries use drain hoses- to vent gas or acid should it boil over or need to vent. If a careless person should route the hose incorrectly, leave
it off altogether, or pinch the hose so it can't drain or vent that's one thing, but it's not a likelihood with Li bats, and I've never heard of a bike/racecar lithium battery exploding and burning someone's cojones off. have you?? You want to use acid based batteries, more power to ya! go at it.
Hold on a minute there Bille,
There is NO breather tube on my battery- NOT lithium either.
The MF stands for Maintenance Free Battery.
As I said, mine weighs 5.5#'s.

Service manual states it is an 'MF' battery

'BATTERY The MF battery used in this motorcycle does not require maintenance (e.g., electrolyte level inspection, distilled water replenishment). During normal charging, no hydrogen gas is produced. However, if the battery is overcharged, hydrogen gas may be produced. Therefore, be sure there are no fire or spark sources (e.g., short circuit) nearby when charging the battery. Be sure to recharge the battery in a well-ventilated and open area. Note that the charging system for the MF battery is different from that of a conventional battery. Do not replace the MF battery with a conventional battery.'

So, no spilling on the acids, unless it was broken open?

ON my previous bikes years ago, they all seemed to have breather tubes, etc.

K5 R1000
Yoshi Carbon exhaust
TRE mod
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Track Day Winner

I'm not the one lauding low weight as an advantage and I don't care if you have a maintenance free battery. There are other ways to save weight but if you can do it with a battery too, go for it. Everyone has a different ideas and priorities about how much cost vs weight even matters and how much these bear on the pleasure they get out of riding. It's a mixture of mechanical passion, engineering, experimenting, a hunger for gaining knowledge (OR NOT).
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:37 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Weight: My lithium is constructed of eight A123 batteries and a quick connect. It weighs 660 gm. I think that it's about as light as you can get. The Shorai, etc. batteries with plastic cases are heavier. Batteries like mine used to be fairly widely available but changes in the shipping regs have made them harder to come by, even though the LiFePO4 types are quite safe (thanks Yuasa, Samsung, and cheap hoverboard manufacturers). It's the more energetic lithium-cobalts that have the problems but the regulators just lump them all together as lithium-ions.

Drain: A lead-acid battery will self drain about 1%/day. That plus the bike's parasitic drain means that they will run down in around 2 months. The lithium self drain is quite small. But they commonly have less capacity than the OEM battery such that the parasitic drain will run them down in about a month (varies depending on the size). For lead-acid that means that you need to keep it on a tender while in long term storage. For lithium you can just disconnect it. The quick disconnect makes that really easy but it has the downside of losing the cluster presets (don't know but there may also be lost ECM presets for things like the ISC on K7-up). I've recently been monitoring mine and the downward drift is VERY small - like in the one to ten year range for discharge.

Price: Quality lead-acids are available for $66. The Shorai is $190. The last time I checked, a lithium battery like mine could be had for around $100. But that was a couple years ago and shipping is now an issue unless you can find someone local who can fabricate a pack from cells, i.e. the individual cells can still be shipped.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:18 AM
Track Day Winner

Billv: Been picking up Shorai's for about $145 on Ebay (for 1st gen bikes)/ They're probably more expensive for non antiques. Quick disconnect is a great way to go.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Garage

And my MF is on ebay for under $40- free shipping I saw yesterday.
When I NEED a new battery, I'll consider a lithium- whatever one, depending on price.

My K5 Lter cranks fine and starts right up- everytime currently.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:23 AM
Drunkz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

OEM battery does the trick for me. Haven't had much luck experimenting with other brands over the years. Not sure if I would notice any weight savings. Certainly doubt I would on the street.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
OEM battery does the trick for me. Haven't had much luck experimenting with other brands over the years. Not sure if I would notice any weight savings. Certainly doubt I would on the street.
My goal is to lose 5-10#'s over the next few months, instead of buying a lighter battery for now.
Weighed my fat ass in today at 170#!
Still not too bad for the old man that I am.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:55 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: 06 gsxr1000 &ducatis

Hey Guys, my missus keeps telling me it's cheaper for me to go to the toilet[good 3lbs there!!] before a ride than spending $$$ on Ti bolts, light batteries, etc... as for batterys, my K6 is running a LiPo battery out of my dirt-bike, & it's half the size of original, & weighs nothing... needed a battery about 2mths ago, start-up no probs, & hasn't missed a beat!! go figure....
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:18 AM
Track Day Winner

On my 1250 I saved 2.63 kg on battery weight.

3kg on removing the centre stand as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode