Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Tire pressure question

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jjman 
#1 · (Edited)
Why do some people have higher air in the front tire and lower air in the rear??
I have always been riding as a sportbike rider for 4 years with lower air in the front and higher air in the rear... Whats the deal ,am i missing something? ( people have 34 cold front and 32 cold rear??? )
I have a 2006 Gsxr 1000... i keep it
front 32 rear 34 (cold) street bridgestone s21,am 215 pounds..
(side note, am still waiting for my paint for my gsxr rim project that i will re post in a few days) so which way is better??

#2 ·
it all depends how you ride it to get the tyre to the pressure temps you want / are best.

You will usually find that people just riding on the street will run softer in the front (get the tyre working more to generate more hear) and harder in the rear (maintain tyre life/shape). I do this and run about 33-36 for my usual use which is spirited street riding. For just commuting then people seem to often use 38 front n rear or even 40-42, especially if they will take a pillion.
If you know you are going to be doing alot of heavy acceleration (such as when you are out riding the twisty roads with mates) then maybe drop the rear down level with the front or lower as you will generate heat in the rear that will keep the pressure up.
On the track (if you dont have tyre warmers) you start with the pressure quite low and sometimes the rear lower because of how much heat and pressure you will generate in the tyres.

But its a personal thing on riding preferences (i.e. i like to push the front end alot, even on the street- hence why my front pressure is kept lower as it will build heat and pressure), but also type of tyre, type of bike, setup of bike (suspension), weight of rider will all influence this tyre pressure and temp equation.

Hope that helps.

based on your above details on pressures, tyre type and weight i would say you might be wise to raise those pressures a bit unless you ride in a particularly warm environment and ride quite fast on the street.

#3 ·
Thank you JJMAN for your time and input. I understand fully now. It is without a doubt that the back tire should always be higher (psi) then the front. Also i need to put more air in my tires (street)
34 cold front and 36 rear cold. P.s the bridgestone s21's are awsome, recommend them. Thanks JJ Dynamite!!!

#7 ·
:lmao Go to the track and tell them that!

I've always run a lb. or so higher front to deal with the weight as stated above. If you run too high in the rear, you have less contact area and the rear will slide like crazy, you have no weight back there.
At the track tire wear and tire pressure after coming in will affect what you run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.