Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

2006 gsxr 100 HID install

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  BillV 
#1 ·
Ive searched this forum for answers but can't find any thus I'm making a new thread.

The dust cover for the headlight in the k6 gsxr1000 is unique in such a way that the connectors to the bulb are inside the dust cover rather than through the dust cover common in k7 and up gsxrs. The cord that connects to the HID harness is inside the dustcover. How can I connect the HID kit without cutting the current wire harness?

I can post pics tomorrow if you guys are unsure of what I'm talking about.

thanks!

#4 ·
This.

If you're going to upgrade to HID's, you should install projector lenses along with the bulbs. The stock reflector does nothing but scatter the light, and you'll just end up pissing off oncoming traffic (drivers and riders).

#11 ·
^The blue plastic ring is just some 1/8" thick scrap that I had. I carefully removed the OEM electrical connector from the dust cover and made a piece that snugly fit in the hole. I think that some silicone rubber holds it in place. The black grommet at the center came with the HID kit.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like its gonna be a significant mod to put HID. Don't want to mess with it too much because I might sell the bike. Are there any alternatives to HID? I want something brighter than stocks. Any one wit experience with LED head light bulbs?

#13 ·
In terms of drop in, the Osram 64217 for the low beam and the Toshiba 9011 for the high. The Osram seems to be in the process of being discontinued, though Candlepower still has them. Some are trying to substitute the Osram 62261SBP for it. But that's an 80W bulb and I'm a tad uncomfortable there. The Toshiba is discontinued and hard to find. Candlepower has the Philips 9011 that's supposed to be comparable to the Toshiba. Beware, there are other 9011's that are no brighter than a 9005. The 9011 isn't strictly a drop in as it requires a minor modification to its base to fit in a 9005 socket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.