Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

speed wobble

5K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  kwaka10r 
#1 ·
I have an 06 GSXR 1000 that I've owned since new. Recently I went to pass another bike, I was in 3rd at about 3/4 throttle and as soon as the front end began feeling light the handlebars began shaking violently back and forth. At this point i was probably doing around 80 or so. I have taken the bike up past that mph and it cruises fine as long as i'm not hard on the throttle. Any idea what could be causing this?

I did crash it on the track around 4 years ago but after i put it back together I kept doing track days and it was fine. I stopped riding track around 3 years ago and the bike mainly sat in the garage aside from the occasional weekend ride every month or two. At this point I had tires mounted but never really rode it hard until now.

At first I thought that it may be that my front was never balanced correctly but would that only cause an issue when on the throttle hard? Wouldn't it ride like shit while cruising as well?

#3 ·
It has happened twice and both times was while accelerating hard. The first time was a few months ago i just completely forgot about it. I don't accelerate hard too often anymore but i'll try it this weekend. I'm fairly certain that it will happen every time that the front gets light.

I have the stock damper with 20 wt oil in there.

#8 ·
BillV brings up a good point about the geometry. Have you altered the ride height?

#12 · (Edited)
"steering stem front lift"

Not for this. I'd like to see the front end hanging free. Suzuki's a bit vague with details and only says "by supporting the motorcycle with a jack" on page 8-35. I guess that they're putting it beneath the oil pan and lifting there. I have a 4' x 1" nylon strap in a loop that works well for lifting the bike. For front end lifts it loops around the sliders and over the front of the tank. A chain hoist does the actual lifting.

The rear end was probably on a lift while this was happening.

You can see multiple references to holding/grasping the front fork legs and moving them back and forth to check for play in the bearings on 2-27 and 8-35.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.